• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Some more results. I have to have chemo

mandy4727

Everyone said they wanted an update so here goes. Went to see the surgeon today. He is really pleased with how I am healing. There is still a lot of swelling on my back from where they have removed the muscle to make my new breast and also the breast itself. Which is making them look very odd in size. But he did assure me the swelling would go down but could take several months and even up to a year......The cancer removed was a Grade 3 which is the most aggressive and was 2 cm in size. The other one in the other side was 9cm so that was a blessing and the fact that it hasn't spread to my lymph nodes is good news. But he wants me to have chemo. Because of my young age (41???) he wants to prolong my life - thanks for that. But as to what type of chemo i have I have to wait until next week to see the oncologist. But the breast nurse told me that there is now for breast cancer which doesn't make you lose your hair. But it will make it very thin. However, I have very very thick hair so a bit wouldn't go a miss. I am going to continue to work through the chemo and if I feel the need to finish early or come in late then do that. I don't need any radiotherapy as there was no spread and the cancer isn't a hormonal one so won't need any medication afterwards. So heres to the next 6 months of chemo etc etc. Just trying to keep my chin up and all that.

You've come a long way Mandy. It must be awful to go through the chemo :hug: I'm glad you won't be losing all your hair. This is the final lap though, you've got to keep positive. You do sound positive which must be helping your immune system. I really have no idea what you must be feeling right now but I know you're a fighter and you'll get through this. :hug:

Im thinking of you here~ I know some days it must be hard to keep your chin up.

I have a girlfriend whom is battling stage 3 ovarian cancer- and sadly her beautiful red hair has fallen out, Ill never forget the first day she had strength enough to drive and came cruising into the school parking lot with a Harley Davidson scarf wrapped around her head...* shes very southern and quite a lady- doo rags are not quite her style* and screamed out the window laughing at us all that if we were going to stare she was going to give us something to stare at! I'm blessed to have her as a friend....Hair or no Hair.

Please make sure you take care of yourself, when you feel well enjoy life, and if your having a yucky day dont answer the phone- You and your family come first, this is the mistake my pal made with so many people checking on her she forgot to take care of herself~ trying to make others feel good~ Its your time for it to be all about you! :D

Know we are all here for ya, when you need us.

Chin up Mandy. Sounds like you've got some great resources out there and your attitude is in the right place.

God bless you Mandy. You ARE young and I'm glad your surgeon is aware of that!! All my thoughts and prayers are with you at this time. I hope your chemo goes well. Your profile doesn't say where you are. I would like to bring you casseroles and flowers but I fear you may be too far away. Where are you? If you are too far you will have to just accept this HUGE virtual hug I am sending you!!!:):):)

Last edited:
Best of luck Mandy...will be thinking about you and keeping you in my prayers for great outcoumes. As others have said take care of yourslf. We have a lady at work undergoing chemo right now and she planned to work fulltime thru her treatment but does get tired in her chemo cycle so she only works halftime on those days. Do what is right for you and think positive!!

Thank you so much for keeping us updated Mandy, that was brave of you - I guess it's hard to tell people as that must make it more "real".

Thank goodness that they did find and remove both lumps - although you are very sore now, try to concentrate on the positives - they've found them, removed them, it hadn't spread {thank goodness for that} adn you won't have to have radiotherapy {my friend felt really rough on that, and it burnt her skin quite badly}

6 months of chemo sounds a very long time, but it will be worth it when you have the whole of your life ahead of you {you're almost the same age as me}.

I know I would be dreadfully upset to lose or have my hair thin, that is hard to deal with but there are always positive ways to deal with it - as Maxwell's friend did!

Just want you to know that you are always in our thoughts, there is so much support here and everyone is willing you well - you are part of our community, and although we can't be with you in person, we can be here for when you have those bad days too, and help you through.

The dogs all send kisses and cuddles too.

Some more Results .I have to have Chemo

Mandy ,
Bet here ,
It's great that it,s not aggresive and not in the lymph nodes .like Nikki said ,with Radiotherapy you can get burned ,from one who knows!!!
Still got traces after a year .Am on the wonder drug .
What I feel about talking about this ,it could be of such a benefit to others who maybe will be in the same position at some time in their lives ,and will give them hope and confidence to know that others have been OK
Best of luck ,and just think about next year .

Bet

I'm thinking of you Mandy....sending you big hugs and prayers that the chemo will get rid of all signs of cancer and that you can live a long and healthy life. I'm 41 too....we have a lot of life ahead of us! Keep positive and strong. Don't forget that you have all of us to 'lean on' too.:flwr:

You had lots of good news in the visit but having to have chemo can only be a disappointment. I've had two friends go through this in the last while and it really seems to affect every person differently. Some have very few side effects from it, so let's hope you will fall into that group. :flwr: You've made it through the most challenging bit already with great strength.

Back