• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Where to rest?

simonrickell

I had always thought that we would scatter our dog's ashes in one of his favourite places.

When it came to it, Shirley, could not bear to part with Tarmac's casket.
It has a proud place in our cabinet, with his collar laid on it. And comes out on certain days.

What do you do?

Our caskets are on top of the dresser in the bedroom, together with a photo of each of the girls, Fillipa's favourite toy, and a vase with silk sweet peas.

Eventually when we go, we want to all be scattered together.

I don't have caskets , All my dogs are in labled velvet bags ( one is in a raffia packet) in a decorated biscuit tin in the cupboard.

I don't particularly like keeping their ashes but I dont want to get rid of them either.
I originally intended to bury the ashes in the garden but my mother made a fuss about me disturbing her flowers ......

I think that time is needed for your wife and different things appeal to different people there is not a right and wrong answer or solution for this. If however it bothers you to keep them maybe have a gentle talk about it and try the dreaded negotation.

I have never known a love like I have with my two boys and when I started thinking about the fact that they are not immortal I really struggled for a number of months about how and if I would cope when that time comes, I wasted months on tears and was not really enjoying the here and now. Then one day it came to me the only way I would get threw the process was to plan the end (i know it sounds terrible) I have now firmly decided I will have the boys ashes in my casket when I go or be scattered all together somewhere earthy, as the dogs love the soft earth to dig, eat and in general get mucky in.

:flwr: :hug: for you all.

I have never known a love like I have with my two boys and when I started thinking about the fact that they are not immortal I really struggled for a number of months about how and if I would cope when that time comes, I wasted months on tears and was not really enjoying the here and now.

:flwr: :hug: for you all.

I am feeling like that at the moment , my boy is the love of my life & I can't bare the thought of him not being here. He has had a lot of surgery over the last year ( 10 anisthetics in 18 months with more to follow) I'm finding it very hard just to get on with it & enjoy him while he is here.

When mine go to the bridge :)xfngr: thats a LONG time away) I will keep their caskets to buried/cremated with me as they are the love of my lives.

We have all the goldens we grew up with on in the dining room at my mums. They will be buried/cremated with my mum.

AT - I'm sorry you are so down at present, you are doing your best for your little one - enjoy him now so you have good memories - thats what he wants you to do:paw:

When Izzy died, I had him cremated, but didnt want a casket, as that seemed a bit morbid. Like Angela, I don't particularly want his ashes, but don't want to part either, so , at the moment, he is still in my car's glove compartment (he liked the car). I'd like to save up all my dogs and take them with me, but then there's the guilt that some were left at the vets (when cremation wasn't as popular/affordable) and some may outlive me, so all won't be treated alike.

I had wondered about what to do when Izzy's time came (and he was pts at the vets), as the large local crematorium is actually used by all local vets and the lady told me that the process, except for return of ashes and individual attention, is the same (full respect and scattering -no use by industry, as some have suggested). So should I invest in a personal service, when the money could benefit another animal ?

Izzy died at home,and at a weekend, so I used a small local, which is a lot cheaper, too, and probably will now, as long as the man (older than me) keeps his operation going. The problem is that they give individual attention, because they are limited, by new laws, on how many cremations they can do, but if the law clamps down even more, they may have to close.

I have buried my dogs in the back yard. I couldn't bear the thought of their bodies going into the landfill and I didn't want their ashes hanging around the house. They were big dogs though, as Sunshine is my first cavalier, and I believe digging a hole for sunshine will be much easier than for my labrador or rottweiler. When she dies she will find a lovely spot in the earth behind our house.

I had wondered about what to do when Izzy's time came (and he was pts at the vets), as the large local crematorium is actually used by all local vets and the lady told me that the process, except for return of ashes and individual attention, is the same (full respect and scattering -no use by industry, as some have suggested). So should I invest in a personal service, when the money could benefit another animal ?

Izzy died at home,and at a weekend, so I used a small local, which is a lot cheaper, too, and probably will now, as long as the man (older than me) keeps his operation going. The problem is that they give individual attention, because they are limited, by new laws, on how many cremations they can do, but if the law clamps down even more, they may have to close.

I use a small pet crematorium too , she is very nice , comes to the house to collect them then brings them back & has cavaliers herself .
Its awful but I use them so often that I get a discount......

I have also thought its a lot of money that could be spent on something better but I can't bring myself to leave them at the vets ( I was sat outside the vets when the council ? van came & saw them throwing cat shaped yellow bags in the back .......)

My friend buried her cat in the local woods but admitted it looked a bit strange walking about at 2am with a shovel

When our Jazzy went to the bridge we bought a Japanese asa and planted it in a spot in our garden and sprinkled Jazzys ashes in with the tree. Each year when it flowers in vibrant red we know its becasue of Jazz!

Lucky for me I havent lost any of my dogs yet however, I lost my cat of 19 years of age about 5 years ago. She was cermated and returned in a little pine box. She is under my bed, she loved it there in life so dont feel too bad about that! I am like some others - could not bear to not to have her ashes, cant bear to see them and scatter them and cant bear to have them on display so under my bed she remains and suppose I will have a collection on animals get buried when I do! I want to be cremated but in my will i have asked for a burial plot - thats to make room for all my animals:) - honest!

our 3 family dogs growing up died at home and were buried at home (we had a lot of woods behind our house) and as a child it was very comforting to me to go and sit on the large rocks we placed near their graves.

i have not been able to bring myself to think this far in advance with indy yet as i cry every time i visit the In Memoriandum (sp?) section here. A friend of mine recently lost her young rescue when she was hit by a car and she buried her in a special place in her back garden near her flower bed. her dog's name was soleil and she ordered a beautiful stained-glass sun on a garden stake to mark soleil's grave. this was appropriate for soleil's name and also because in her short life she brought so much sunshine to my friend's life. i thought that this was a beautiful idea and thought i would share.

i should add in fairness that she told me that the burial process was very difficult for her. her husband dug the grave and painstakingly removed each small stone from the soil that would cover her. it was very painful for both of them, but she is there in their garden now and she felt it was worth it.

Angela, the council thing wouldn't happen, here, as the crematorium collects direct.

You can legally bury a pet, or human, in your garden, provided that the latter doesn't carry a contagious disease.

I should said I live in a rural area and did call the county before I made the grave...some areas have laws against this. The county told me code for burying my dog, most areas do have some sort of law that covers this.

Back