• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Coming in late at night?

brid kenny

how do people cope when they come in late at night? Phoebe gets very excited and keeps me awake for an hour!!
Last night I left them in the kitchen as normal but didn't go in to them and snook very quietly upstairs!!
it worked!!!

i went through this with indy over the summer....that's when i was staying with my parents after just moving back to the US. he stayed downstairs in his crate until i got home from work around midnight and then i would take him upstairs for bed. i found that if i snuck in, picked him up the instant i opened his crate, and immediately took him upstairs, most times it didn't upset his feelings that it was bedtime.... other than that, i'd love to hear more tips on settling the furbabies down

Ours are very excited but as soon as we open the baby gate on the stairs and say time for bed they calm down and off they pop upstairs to bed.:D

i have this problem!!!

also when i get up in the morning to let them out of the crate they bark like crazy!!

anyone know how to solve the manic barking thing??

I suppose this is the upside of having no life!! :cool: We rarely go out in the evening. The few times we do the dogs seem to settle down within about 30 minutes of being home.

One way to work to stop the barking is: do not let them out of the crate til the barking stops. Then open the door. If the barking starts say 'oops!' or 'you lose!' or some marker phrase that means 'sorry!' and close the door and step back til barking stops. You only move forwards and open the door when there's no barking.

For this to work you probably will need to train them separately first meaning keep them in separate rooms. Usually one will just spur the other and it is hard to mark the correct behaviour with two doing different things.

I totally ignore my dogs when I come in until all the barking stops, and I turn my back and ignore them if they try to jump up. Believe me pretty quickly they get the message that the attention happens only after they have been quiet and polite, no jumping, for five minutes or so. If you fuss when you come in -- big greetings etc -- you reinforce the over-excitement and unwanted behaviour. Most people make a big deal of their dogs when they come in from work or whatever and hence constantly reinforce the behaviour they do not want. I just go upstairs, open the door to the room they are in and walk away without a word or looking at them. They all rush out and there's a small bit of fussing which I ignore and after I get all my stuff settled and they are quiet for several minutes, then I visit with them (still not making a big deal of it though or I'd just be teaching them to go berserk).

If Leo gets over-excited that triggers his SM symptoms so that is one important reason I try to not have them all going crazy.

Back