• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

How do you wrap the ear?

CavyMom

I know, sounds like a stupid question!!! I've seen breeders and handlers wrap vet wrap on a cavaliers ears to keep the ears clean and keep the hair from breaking off, I'm considering trying this with Amber, I've tried the snood to keep her ears out of her water/food bowls, but she hates the snood and refuses to leave it on. I'm trying to figure out how they do this without making it so the ear canal is covered, I want good airflow to the ear still so she doesn't get ear infections, can anyone explain this, or show me pictures of how to do this? I tried to find any information on the internet, but the only thing I could find on wrapping ears had to do with the poor dogs that have their ears cropped :(

I don't think you'd really want to use vet wrap just for keeping hair clean at meals. You can also try scrunchies for example or simply work to train her to get used to a snood (not hard with treats -- or simply the reward of her meal. Dogs get used to them very fast).

I've only seen vet wrap used solely for grooming before shows. I'd think you'd probably need to get someone to demonstrate rather than describe using wrap for grooming ears. Maybe at the next show you attend? Even Barbara Garnett-Wilson doesn't go into the details of wrapping ears in the book I recommended to you as it is pretty involved.

My dogs won't tolerate snoods but will wear a section cut out of a pair of stockings & worn like a snood.

I have an article somewhere on wrapping charlies ears I could find for you if you really want to know how to do it. But personally I don't see the point in keeping a dog in wrappers & only seeing their lovely coats on show days

I'm probably not going to do it all the time, mostly just on the one ear to give the hair on that ear a chance to catch up to the hair on her other ear! I'd love to know how, but now that you put it that way, I agree, I love Amber's beautiful ears and wouldn't want to keep them in wraps all the time and not be able to enjoy them!!! I'll try the stocking trick and see if that'll work for her. We've been working on clicker/positive reinforcement training to get her use to the snood, but she HATES it!

I'm probably not going to do it all the time, mostly just on the one ear to give the hair on that ear a chance to catch up to the hair on her other ear! I'd love to know how, but now that you put it that way, I agree, I love Amber's beautiful ears and wouldn't want to keep them in wraps all the time and not be able to enjoy them!!! I'll try the stocking trick and see if that'll work for her. We've been working on clicker/positive reinforcement training to get her use to the snood, but she HATES it!

All my dogs have hated snoods , the elastic must dig in , but all will wear the stockings withought a problem , once they realise it means food they are ok

maile wears the sock. she didn't really like it at first and would run away when I brought it out but now she knows some food is on the way and she sits there waiting for it to be put on. I only put the sock on when she was going to get something very tasty which I think helped
sometimes she looks like little red riding hood
withsnoodsockprofile.jpg

The sock idea is great...I was told to try a scrunchy and put the ears up like a pony tail. I haven't tried it yet, but I like the sock idea.

My solution to the problem of mucky ears at meal times is to provide a relatively narrow dish, one that the ears fall on the outside of when the dogs are eating. When they get big messy bones to gnaw on, I use a scrunchie to hold their ears up out of it. I haven't been able to find any snoods in the pet stores here, but that sock idea looks good.

Back