• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Anyone else's dog bury things??

amia

this might sound like a stupid question but iv never known a cavalier bury things.ive found them digging but not burying.

kira buries or puts things in places.shel walk around with a chew in her mouth for ages looking for a place to put it.its really funny.shes put chews in the corner behind the tv,behind couch, down couch,she put one on the top of our coffee table,in her blankets and even on me.its quite the norm now to see her on her mission lol.its a bit pointless on her part because by the time shes found a good place holly has spotted her and finds the chew and takes it.

anyone elses dog bury stuff??

Cleo does this - especially if she has a new bone or something she really likes - right now its the squirrels from the hide-a-squirrell we got her for Christmas! The funny thing is she's an only dog, so it's not like Mark and I will take her things away from her or eat the nice bone ourselves! :lol: We do live in a small house with a small back yard, so I sometimes think she not very subtly nudging us towards buying a bigger house or an equally small house but one with a big garden! :lol:

Dixie does the same thing. I give her a new chew, and the first thing she does is try to find a place to hide/bury it. She puts things under the couch pillows, in corners, behind chairs, in our backyard etc. Another thing she does that I think is funny is she doesn't chew on her chew toys until one of our other dogs chews on it first. She will hide it, bury it, or ignore it unless it has been "broken-in" by one of the others. Then she likes it.....go figure. judy and dixie

Avery does! Her chewies always end up buried treasure and never chewed. It cracks me up. Most things end up behind a pillow, or in a plant or sometimes just in the corner. She paws about 4 or 5 times, then delicately dumps it...

My Ella must have been a squirrel in a former life as we find everything from her toys and chews to my husband's socks buried in her bed. I have to shovel it out every day or two. Last week we found the usual assortment of toys, etc. as well as one of my spoons that she must have snagged from the dishwasher and six of my grandson's little army guys. Last summer when my car keys went missing, well, you know where we finally found them. What a nut!

OK-- burying things no, but here is a dog that did something odd (and sad):

Oscar, an 18-month-old Lancashire Heeler, missed his best friend so much that he dug up the late cat's grave and brought the body back into the house to be reunited with him.
The dog saw his owner dig a grave in the garden for Arthur, the 17-year-old family cat, and put him in the hole.
When Oscar's owners woke up the next morning, they found Oscar curled up next to Ar
oscardogmen_450x250.jpg

thur's body in his bed. Oscar and Arthur were the best of friends and were inseparable, and Arthur, who was a larger cat, even used to help Oscar onto the sofa.
Oscar's owners said, "He had managed to climb out through the cat flap in the night, obviously with the intent to get Arthur back. Bearing in mind that Arthur was a huge cat, Oscar must have used all the strength he could muster. Then he pulled him into the basket and went to sleep next to him. Arthur's coat was gleaming white. Oscar had obviously licked him clean. It must have taken him nearly all night." Source: The Times

Oh...what a sad but kinda sweet story.

Jake used to hide things although he hasn't done that in a really long time. He'd carry a chewy around trying to figure out where to hide it. I'd say "let's hide by the couch", he'd drop it behind the couch and walk away. :)

aww thats cute how all the doggies like to hide their toys.

as for author and his cat, what a sad but sweet story.

Barney loves to hide things but hes really rubbish at it! He walks around for ages with a chew in his mouth and then he makes digging motions on cushions and then drops it in full view of the room!
He's even buried a chew in my dressing gown whilst I was wearing it- hes barmy!

Only Izzy was my 'hider'. Well he thought he hid things. He would put toys or unfinished treats in corners and then rub his muzzle around the area. i think he believed the scent hid the items.

The real buriers were my springers, who died in the 1980s. When Joly was a puppy, I dug up what looked like an exposed piece of polystyrene, form the garden. It proved to be a large plastic squeaky Teddy toy (once orange all over) which had belonged to my children, but was later claimed by Cindy and Sally.

It was so odd to see Teddy, whose existance I'd forgotten, after so many years, but he came with a purpose. Joly, being small, used to rush across the fireplace, which has fixed shelves in an L shape and scatter the ornaments on the bottom shelf. However, putting Teddy in the way stopped him (he wouldn't pass Teddy) for a couple of weeks--until he found that he could defeat Teddy by knocking him over.

It was so odd to see Teddy, whose existance I'd forgotten, after so many years, but he came with a purpose. Joly, being small, used to rush across the fireplace, which has fixed shelves in an L shape and scatter the ornaments on the bottom shelf. However, putting Teddy in the way stopped him (he wouldn't pass Teddy) for a couple of weeks--until he found that he could defeat Teddy by knocking him over.

:lol: :rotfl:

Back