• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Bedwetting issue

TMarlow

Good Morning,
Me and my girlfriend have recently brought two CKCS / Cocker Spaniel mix puppies into our life two weekends ago. So far, the house training at night has gone fairly well, but we are running into issues during the evening. The two puppies are 12 weeks old and litter mates. The smaller of the two has started two nights ago to relieve his bladder while laying down on a pillow. When he does this, he does not get up and walk around sniffing or give any signs that we can pick up on that he needs to go outside. Strangely, this is the pillow that he and his brother sleep on, and he does not do this during the night, or during the day when crated. I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue.
In addition, we have had a bit of a problem during the evening getting them to relieve themselves fully outside once they have put two and two together that relieving themselves earns them some loving and a small treat. During the course of the evening, we are taking them out once every hour to hour and a half, but at night and the day, they are going four to five hours without issue. Even when they are taken out that often, they are sometimes relieve themselves inside the apartment. When caught in the act, they are scolded, picked up and taken outside, where if they finish their business they are rewarded. Also, we do use the resolve pet odor removal stuff on wherever they have an accident.
Any ideas about how to deal with these issue would be appreciated.

Sincerely,
Tim

Firstly welcome to the forum!

At 12 weeks old they really are just babies when it comes to toilet training and having only just come to live with you a couple of weekends ago they are really just finding their feet. If you are finding that they are continually urinating in the same place it would be wise to wash this pillow in biological washing powder or you may find it better to remove the object completely. You are doing the right thing taking them out at regular intervals and rewarding them when they do a poop or wee outside but I really can't stress enough not to scold them when they have an accident, if they have an accident (which at 12 weeks we had plenty!;)) just remove them from the area and take them straight outside, eventually they will associate the outdoors with when they need to go and if you ignore them when they have an accident they will learn that only good behaviour i.e doing their business outside will get praise and a reward.

Good Luck:)

This is one reason why breeders and trainers do not advise getting two puppies at once -- you need to housetrain them separately and independently and it is twice the work. They also mimic each others' mistakes. It will be a much bigger challenge trying to manage two so expect some extra time for them to start to get the idea about housetraining.

Definitely never scold them. They can only learn what you successfully teach them and scolding just results in puppies who go inside when you are not looking, not puppies who think, "gee I had better go outside!' :).

The trick is 100% supervision 100% of the time. A puppy should not have the freedom to be able to go on a pillow in front of you. It needs to be at arm's length or crated, asleep or on a lap.

Housetraining:

http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=11857

How to manage two puppies (very essential advice on all aspects including housetraining!):

http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=10549

take you time~

when my cocker 2.5 years old chingching was a puppy he does that too.
i believe puppies are just like human babies. they do wet in their dreams.
my chingching used to nightmare and woke up in a puddle of urine. We witness the whole process 2 times (out of 5 accidents). he would kick and make noise then urinate. however, happened no more then 5 times and he has not wet our bed for a long time. we see no point discipline him at that point as he was sleeping and totally unaware of the situation. In fact he used to pee when he gets excited or scared. We corrected excitement caused urination by not over excite him when we come home. We ask guest not to pet him until he calms down. All and all, the pee situation is pretty much under control when he turn 1. try not to be mean to the puppy when it makes a mistake. we made that mistake and it didnt help the situation as chingching is submissive dog. (it only made him pee...actually) so good luck. it just take some patient. and you will be fine!

Back