• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Boy or Girl

cricket865

Hi all,

For those of you that have both girl and boy cavs...is there a distinct difference in personalities? I have a female lab mix and I am thinking I want to get another girl, but maybe a boy would be better. I know each dog is different, but do boys tend to be more friendler, loyal etc...or is there really no distinct differences. What has been your experience.

thanks!
Cricket

If you do a search or just go through a couple of pages of this forum you'll find awhile load of previous threads on this topic that will be helpful -- we just had one in the last couple of weeks! Someone might remember the links, even. :)it is a common question.

The general line is: the girls love you but the boys are in love with you. Girls tend to be a bit more independent and aloof. Each dog is different though and that's only a generalisation but all the breeders here have agreed with this assessment.

I love my two girls but the boys are my real sweethearts. I'd happily have a house full of boys (if that wasn't a risky proposition!). But it also depend on what you prefer.

They really are not much different at the end of the day.

If you have a female lab you should get a male cavalier. Two females can turn into a problem esp. if the second is not a cavalier (as can two males). Two of a sex in cavaliers tend to be fine but I'd not advise two of the same sex when another breed is involved.

:DThanks Karlin,

I have first choice after the breeder and I initially wanted a female blenheim, but have absoltuely fell in love with a male tri. I had a girl dog growing up and my lab, like I said is female, I have two daughters.:D So maybe it's time to go with a boy :).

thanks for the links!

cricket

Hi, I think it is personal preference, I am no expert but I feel it depends on the person, I have always had girl cavaliers and My fiance wanted a boy so we now have Billy too, of course I love him millions but I feel closer to my girls, they are to loyal and very cuddly, My cavalier girls stick together too poor little billy, but in saying that I have a female Yorkie cross who spends most of her time with billy so I guess it doesnt really matter, Good luck with whatever you decide, either sex I am sure will be a very great much loved part of your family! Take care xxx

What Karlin said, about the girls loving you and the boys being in love with you... it is sooo true in my case!

Lucky my blehemian female is very affectionate-- so I thought. But when I got Brett my tri colored male, he sure showed her up in the affection category! And he is my cuddle bug. As much as he loves rough housing with his sister, if I come into the room and sit on the floor while the dogs are playing, he is in my lap within seconds. He just lays there loving life for as long as I will allow! lol

We have never had a male cav.
Have met plenty through rescue & grooming & from that would say I prefer girls, They have better manners ,lol

I have 6 cavs but only one is male and Pip is the one who knows my moods and if i'm down and sad he stays near me and does silly things to try and cheer me up.The girls love me when theres food around and at bed time when they want to share the bed.The 11yr old that i rescued a couple of months ago is the only girl who is like my shadow andspends her day sitting in front of me wagging her tail but i think thats because she come very over wieght and thinks its always food time!

This is really interesting subject to follow. Funny my boy is aloof and has always been the naughty one, excitable one, aloof one and my girls have always followed me around like shadows and seem to love their cuddles more so I am a girl fan myself but the opposite is true with my kids - My girls are aloof but my boys love me to death. They are really mummys boys!!!

Back