• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

leash training a 15 month old...

jewel

I recently got a 15 month old black and tan male. The lady I got him from never had him on a leash. He is not happy when I try to take him for a walk. When we go for a walk out of town he will walk with me without his leash but there are places I can't take him because I just don't trust the surroundings. Has anyone ever run into this or can you offer any advice ?

Our foster dogs never know how to walk on a lead (leash!) as they are ex puppy farm dogs. Usually they pull against it or lie down and refuse to walk. I use a harness with an extendy lead so it is less noticable to the dog. I walk a few steps (with the lead on but loose) and call them with a yummy reward and lots of praise. It takes about a week before they have forgotton they hated the lead!!

That goes the same with my Mya. She doesen't like the leash very much but she's gotten used to it. The best thing you can possibly do is PRAISE, PRAISE and more PRAISE every step it takes. Play with your dog on the leash and make it fun time. Also, DO NOT forget treats! :p:p:p

My advice? PATIENCE PATIENCE PATIENCE!!! A harness and retractable leash or long line is a good idea - In the house, I generally let them drag around a leash just so they get use to it and then slowly get them use to having pressure on it. Keep treats handy, and reward lavishly when the dog does walk on a leash, if you can find one, a good trainer that uses clicker training or another such positive reinforcement method may also be a great help!

rubys mom

ruby was like that too but i bought a harness and retractable lead and she got used to it very quickly she loves being of the lead on beach days but shes good on her lead to id try the harness and praise praise praise good look :dogwlk:

If there is a dog obedience club in your area you might find that fun for teaching your boy to be happy on a leash. If that isn't your thing, then just by starting off gently & building up, you will be able to get him walking nicely on a leash.

Start off at home, inside the house. Put the leash on him & let him walk around with it on. Give him lots of praise & treats. When he is comfortable, you can start walking him around inside the house with the lead, then out in your backyard... all the while praising him. Keep sessions short & end on a high note every time. Just build up gently.

You'll get there! :flwr:

leash training a 15 month old

Dobby is doing better. I have been trying him out slowly in the house. It doesn't help that our ruby female just wants to play with him. Thank you all for your suggestions and I will gladly try them out.

Back