PDA

View Full Version : Anal gland problems in a puppy :(

bellacherie
27th January 2008, 09:39 AM
Hi all,

Bella went and had her second needle last week and everything went well.

I mentioned to the vet that she had been scooting since her last visit (when she had a tummy bug and runny poo).

He expressed her anal gland and said that they were infected. He said that I should learn to do it myself and showed me how.

It's been only a week since that and already she is scooting again.

Is there any food I can give her to help her out? I am already giving her beans and carrots and unprocessed bran. The poo's do seem reasonably firm.

I also read that they can have these problems from food allergies.
I woulndn't know where to start as she has been on royal canin all her life.

Is there anything else I can do? (calling vet tommorow morning to get his advice)

merlinsmum
27th January 2008, 11:21 AM
they will scoot for a bit after they have had the glands expressed.

I think they scoot more as puppies as everything is still "maturing".

Is she constantly scooting?

inca
27th January 2008, 11:46 AM
did he say infected or impacted ?

if infected she should have had antibitics ?
i would also never suggest you empty them unless your 100% sure you know what your doing

One of mine is just has hers removed not a pleasent operation I would take her back and get the vet to take a look if your worried

merlinsmum
27th January 2008, 11:49 AM
I would take her back and get the vet to take a look if your worried

Thanks Inca - I forgot to add that to my posticon_blshing

bellacherie
27th January 2008, 12:36 PM
He said infected. He said to me "do you know what that means?" and I said "another course of anti-biotics?" to which he replied "no, you will have to learn how to do this yourself".

I will call again tommorow and hopefully he will just check them next time she attends puppy preschool.

She doesn't scoot constantly, usually just before/after she excretes.

I put a glove on an felt around her bottom. The actual hole was raised (I think that's normal???) but nothing else felt firm around it.

merlinsmum
27th January 2008, 01:09 PM
He said infected. He said to me "do you know what that means?" and I said "another course of anti-biotics?" to which he replied "no, you will have to learn how to do this yourself".

Sorry bellacherie, I'd be asking to see a different vet - one that didn't expect you to do their job!

luvzcavs
28th January 2008, 04:59 AM
I agree to see another vet maybe. I know how to empty the anal gland but choose not do it for two reasons.
1) A lot of damage can be caused by doing it wrong or too hard, I believe they can actually rupture (sp?) and 2) When I have tried to do it in the past I never get out anywhere near what the vet does so I'm obviously not doing it right or hard enough anyway.

inca
28th January 2008, 10:23 AM
Sorry bellacherie, I'd be asking to see a different vet - one that didn't expect you to do their job!

me 2 ................

bellacherie
28th January 2008, 11:32 AM
me 2 ................

I know I was quite surprised that he didn't want to treat an infection with anti-biotics. I still have some from the last time I went to see him- so it wouldn't have been a problem.