• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

eating his own mess

steph

Hi. Charlie is 4 months. Over the last week he has started to pooh in his playpen at night.The smell is there, stains on the training mat but there is no pooh. Is it possible he could be eating it:grnyuk: when we bring him out to go toilet he walks away from it. He is brought out plenty of times during the day and most of the time he will go.

Hello Steph

Yes, it is not uncommon for puppies & some adults to eat their own poo. Our Sam was a poo eater for years and even now he loves to collect bunny & roo poo.

Ok, so here are a couple of things that might help.

Feed your puppy early in the evening. This will give his system time to digest & pass his food before bed time;

Take him for a walk or a long wander around outside before bed time. He should poop;

Don't give him too much room to walk around in when he is supposed to be sleeping. If he has a bed in a play pen, he may consider the bed part as his sacred space, but the rest of the area as ok to poop in. You might consider sleeping him in a crate, or somehow making his playpen area smaller at night.

If you like to sleep in, in the mornings, you may need to get up early & let him out for a pee & poop anyway. My guess is that he is waking up early, doing his business & then having it for brekkie!

:)

It is very possible. My boys are 18 wks old and they have been animal vacuums since we got them... I feel sure if they did poop in their pen they would eat it. Our boys sleep with us in the bed at night and they sleep through the night without having to take them out. I take them out before we get in the bed and they go right out when we wake up. The only accidents we've had has been when I haven't taken them right out in the morning. When I'm not at home they are in their crate and they haven't pooped in there since they were 3 months old.

Hi everyone.
I'm new to the forum and really think it's a great place!

Our Charlie (4 yrs old) likes to grab a treat from the cat box every now an then. He doesn't pay much attention to his own poo, but boy does he love to seek a chocolate treat when we're not looking...:)

hi there it sounds possible that he is eating his own mess,
our girls dont care for their mess, but jake our lab loved to eat kitty poo when he was younger (if we didnt get to the litter box in time it was gone :grnyuk:)
as Caraline said give him less room at night as he is meant to be sleeping not walking around or if you have a crate then perhaps sleep him in that!!

good luck

lisa

Back