PDA

View Full Version : helps! sick puppy! :(

aperfectsonnettt
29th January 2008, 01:51 AM
About eight days ago, I had come home in the morning to Piper having pooped (non solid style, i hate the word diarrhea) in her kennel. I usually both dogs out around nine thirty and this was around eleven so I just assumed it was my fault and appologized to her (she understands this, yes? kidding) and got her cleaned up. The rest of the day her poop was runny. The next day she had solid turds again! (Yay!)

About a day or two later, she got runny turds again! However this time, it wasn't pure liquid it was just greenish and real soft. (pardon the description) By this point i notice she doesnt seem to feel sick, just real lazy. (Piper is just six months and usually runnin amok!) She has been eating less and less (and already she was only around nine pounds, skinny and lengthy... pretty picky eater. only likes food in the morning times.) As of last night she had mostly normal stools. This morning she vomitted in her kennel before i left for work, and a couple hours later, runny turded in her kennel again!!

So here's where I'm at now. Tomorrow she is due for her spaying but I don't know how comfortable i am with this as she seems to have gotten smaller (I haven't weighed her I'm just guessing. I can see her spine and that makes me uncomfortable.) She didn't eat much at all today but i took her food away at five thirty as per vet instructions for the spaying. I'm going to take a stool sample in with me in the morning and see if its even a wise idea or if we should put it off.

I'm almost positive she didn't get into anything as i am always watching her for I don't trust her potty habits just yet and i kennel her while I'm asleep and not home. Her food hasn't changed and she is the one dog i could count on for nice solid stools one hundred percent of the time. She is also up to date on shots.

I guess I'm posting mostly for some sort of moral support cause i get anxious and unstable when it comes to puppy illness.

Does this sound like symptoms of anything that I am maybe unaware of?

Caraline
29th January 2008, 02:25 AM
Hmmm a doggie that is lethargic & has runny poos. I'd take her to the vets today and get her looked at. If you can get that poo sample, all the better. An electiive anaesthetic & surgery should never be done on a sick animal and she sounds sick to me.

jld
29th January 2008, 02:31 AM
She definitely sounds like she is unwell. Please let the vet throughly check her over. And taking a stool sample is a really good idea. I am sure the doctor would not want to do surgery on a dog that is not up to par. Good Luck, and please let us know how she is. judy and dixie

wildandcrazyguys
29th January 2008, 02:47 AM
My vet wouldn't give my boys their shots when they had a stomach bug so I seriously doubt he will spay her tomorrow. A poo sample would be great to take in so you will have something to show him. Mine kinda did the same thing when they had their stomach bug. They would have diahrea and I would say "Ok, I'm taking ya'll to the vet if your next poo isnt' solid" and it would be solid...that went on for a few days until it came to the day for them to get their shots...the vet checked them out and said to give them albon that he prescribed for a few days and then bring them back when they were better. Then and only then did he give them the shots. I honestly doubt he will spay her tomorrow. I hope it's just a stomach bug like my boys had!! My favorite saying is "Why can't my boys speak english?!?! It would make my life so much easier!" LOL! I hope she feels better soon!

aperfectsonnettt
29th January 2008, 03:03 AM
Oh I'm assuming they will not go forth with the spaying, but I thought i would take their precautions just because I would hate anyone (the vet) to think that i took it upon myself to decide what will and won't be done.

I can't take her into the vet today as they are closed and it didn't seem like a DIRE emergency and i already have her booked for eight am tomorrow morning.

I, also, hope its just a stomach bug or else something thats easlily cured with antibiotics.

aperfectsonnettt
30th January 2008, 09:42 PM
Piper in the Hospital. They were supposed to have called this morning with any news...

heard nothing.

Think of us,

Cathy T
30th January 2008, 09:58 PM
Definitely thinking about you today and hoping everything is okay.

wildandcrazyguys
30th January 2008, 10:01 PM
I hope everything is going ok!

cb2u
30th January 2008, 10:40 PM
What do they think is going on with Piper? Hope everything is okay....

pippa
31st January 2008, 12:25 AM
Hope piper will be ok. Keep us posted.

*Pauline*
31st January 2008, 12:36 AM
I'd call the vets asap. The vet would not do the operation if she was this poorly. I hope she gets better soon.

Karlin
31st January 2008, 12:46 AM
Hope Piper is OK. Definitely sounds very thin if you can see her spine, so am glad you got her to the vet asap. Let us know when you get any news. :flwr:

Caraline
31st January 2008, 05:51 AM
Did you get any comments when you took her in this morning, as to whether they thought there was a problem or whether they were going to go ahead with the spay?

Hmmm, I'd be ringing them and finding out what is going on. I hate not knowing what is happening.

Hope all is well. :xfngr:

cosmic81
31st January 2008, 05:56 AM
i hope ur piper get better.
he is such a young puppy. Have you ask your breeder for advice yet?

aperfectsonnettt
1st February 2008, 04:56 PM
Vet called yesterday morning. Asked if it was alright to go ahead with exploratory surgery to find out if its something that she may have swallowed (the xray shows something that is unclear but that could be blocking things) or if its something with her liver. On tuesday her tummy was about five times the size it should have been and not emptying as fast as it should have and on thursday it was three times the normal size. At any rate, they were going to pump her full of vitamins and perform surgery today.

Waiting for the call...

Matte
1st February 2008, 05:28 PM
Good luck Piper!:xfngr:

mrsfarmer
1st February 2008, 06:01 PM
oh my, I hope Piper is ok! {{{HUGS}}}}
Keep us informed!

Denise G.
1st February 2008, 06:11 PM
We're sending thought and prayers to you and Piper today! :)

*Pauline*
1st February 2008, 06:51 PM
It must be very worrying for you :hug: lets hope they get it sorted today. Let us know what happens.

Phoebe
1st February 2008, 07:05 PM
Hope Piper is on the mend very soon.:xfngr: :)

wildandcrazyguys
1st February 2008, 07:43 PM
Oh my goodness! I hope everything goes well with Piper! Keep us posted!

Kristy
1st February 2008, 08:17 PM
poor piper...i hope everything works out and she gets better soon!

jld
1st February 2008, 11:44 PM
Ohhhhhhhh, keeping fingers crossed. Please keep us posted. Will be checking back often for news. judy and dixie

Elaine 2
1st February 2008, 11:56 PM
Poor lamb we've got everything crossed here for Piper :xfngr:

aperfectsonnettt
2nd February 2008, 12:28 AM
Got the call I had been waiting for... Surgery was performed today in which they removed what she said was part of a plastic hook hangy thing from a dog toy and a small piece of metal along with a some hair. They are going to keep her overnight once again (Night number four) and i should *hopefully* get to bring her home tomorrow afternoon...

They still aren't sure this was causing the problems we were having but we have our fingers crossed that it was.

PPLLLEEAASSSEE watch your puppies! I feel like i watch Piper like a hawk and i missed her swallowing the plastic hooky thing and i feel awful... The metal piece i mentioned to the vet cause about a week ago, i noticed the slinky like wire that holds up her water bottle inside her kennel had been stretched and destroyed by her. I didn't notice anything missing on it but thats not to say that she didnt chew a tiny piece off...

Either way, I'll update when she comes home.

Also, just out of curiosity, from any past experiences, what do vets offer in forms of payment and is it weird that she hasn't mentioned anything about cost to me yet? Im guessing its giong to be in the thousands but wouldn't it be nice of her to give me a heads up? Does anyone know what goes on at the vets office at night? Are there people there to watch and let puppies out to potty?

I'm frustrated and sad.

Cathy T
2nd February 2008, 12:45 AM
Oh jeez!! Well, glad she's come out of surgery okay and they've figured out what was going on. You can't beat yourself up about this. If nothing else you know to be super vigilant with her. It was an accident and accidents happen.

Sure hope she's home soon.

wildandcrazyguys
3rd February 2008, 04:56 AM
I hope she gets to feeling better soon! I'm using your story to emphasize to my family the need to watch what my boys pick up and chew on...I've been ignored to say the least or told that I don't know what I'm talking about :bang:
I hope your puppy has a fast recovery and is back to normal soon!! Keep us posted on her recovery!

cosmic81
3rd February 2008, 06:33 AM
i am so glad that you found the source of the issue!
it would be a good time to get pet insurance now!
i am sure piper will recover well since he is a young puppy=)

Cathy Moon
3rd February 2008, 02:02 PM
OMG, I'm just catching up on this thread. Poor Piper! I hope she feels much better soon. :hug: :flwr:

I just posted two links to information about Pica (eating non-food items) on another thread. These links provide information on how to deal with Pica, especially the second one:
http://www.usask.ca/wcvm/herdmed/app...s/picabeh.html

http://www.yukonvet.com/pica.html

It is a serious problem, but can be overcome by managing their environment (keeping things picked up, providing safe toys), not letting them get bored (daily exercise and play, not confining to a crate), and being aware of the many ways the family could accidentally reinforce the unwanted behavior.

I have found that we have to ask the price of things at the vet, usually I say, "Can you give me a rough idea of how much this will cost?", and the vet is very willing to discuss it.

pinkpuppy
4th February 2008, 12:06 AM
*Hugs* Hope Piper gets well soon.

Caraline
4th February 2008, 04:41 AM
Oh my goodness, what a shock! Thank goodness you got onto it!

Also, just out of curiosity, from any past experiences, what do vets offer in forms of payment and is it weird that she hasn't mentioned anything about cost to me yet?

My vet never bothers to tell me what something will cost. I guess I always hope that if it is going to be outrageous he will at least warn me. If you are worried, I can't see that there would be anything wrong with asking the vet for a balance to date, so that you have time to prepare financnes if necessary. I am sure they would rather this than have you at the last minue announce that you can not come up with the funds. If it does turn out to be something quite outrageous, perhaps they haved a system where you can pay the bill off weekly.

Does anyone know what goes on at the vets office at night? Are there people there to watch and let puppies out to potty?

This varies from vet to vet. I guess the very large veterinary hospitals with a large staff may have overnight care, but with the smaller ones it is probably unlikely. I know how you feel! We live in a country area and our veterinary practices are quite small. Recently I had to leave Sam in overnight and I knew he was there alone. I found it very distressing, but as he was sick, I had no option. I'd love to be able to say something comforting. Again, you could ask the vets what happens at night. It may turn out you need not feel so badly about this.

I am sorry you and yours are having a bad time. I hope Piper will be home and well really soon.

aperfectsonnettt
4th February 2008, 07:57 AM
Thank you all for your kind words and thoughts! i have brought Piper home and I'm going to post another thread with the details. Also, my vet did mention something about the overnight doctor or tech so I was glad to know that someone was there with them.

Also, about the price, I never did end up asking and I was assuming it was going to be a few thousand at best. I was pleasantly surprised to hear only 1,200.00 especially as she was there overnight five nights.

Nicki
4th February 2008, 10:58 AM
So glad Piper is ok - and it sounds as if your vets are pretty reasonable!!

*Pauline*
4th February 2008, 11:04 AM
What a relief to hear Piper is home. I'll look for your new thread. :hug: to you, your family and Piper.