• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

helps! sick puppy! :(

aperfectsonnettt

About eight days ago, I had come home in the morning to Piper having pooped (non solid style, i hate the word diarrhea) in her kennel. I usually both dogs out around nine thirty and this was around eleven so I just assumed it was my fault and appologized to her (she understands this, yes? kidding) and got her cleaned up. The rest of the day her poop was runny. The next day she had solid turds again! (Yay!)

About a day or two later, she got runny turds again! However this time, it wasn't pure liquid it was just greenish and real soft. (pardon the description) By this point i notice she doesnt seem to feel sick, just real lazy. (Piper is just six months and usually runnin amok!) She has been eating less and less (and already she was only around nine pounds, skinny and lengthy... pretty picky eater. only likes food in the morning times.) As of last night she had mostly normal stools. This morning she vomitted in her kennel before i left for work, and a couple hours later, runny turded in her kennel again!!

So here's where I'm at now. Tomorrow she is due for her spaying but I don't know how comfortable i am with this as she seems to have gotten smaller (I haven't weighed her I'm just guessing. I can see her spine and that makes me uncomfortable.) She didn't eat much at all today but i took her food away at five thirty as per vet instructions for the spaying. I'm going to take a stool sample in with me in the morning and see if its even a wise idea or if we should put it off.

I'm almost positive she didn't get into anything as i am always watching her for I don't trust her potty habits just yet and i kennel her while I'm asleep and not home. Her food hasn't changed and she is the one dog i could count on for nice solid stools one hundred percent of the time. She is also up to date on shots.

I guess I'm posting mostly for some sort of moral support cause i get anxious and unstable when it comes to puppy illness.

Does this sound like symptoms of anything that I am maybe unaware of?

Hmmm a doggie that is lethargic & has runny poos. I'd take her to the vets today and get her looked at. If you can get that poo sample, all the better. An electiive anaesthetic & surgery should never be done on a sick animal and she sounds sick to me.

She definitely sounds like she is unwell. Please let the vet throughly check her over. And taking a stool sample is a really good idea. I am sure the doctor would not want to do surgery on a dog that is not up to par. Good Luck, and please let us know how she is. judy and dixie

My vet wouldn't give my boys their shots when they had a stomach bug so I seriously doubt he will spay her tomorrow. A poo sample would be great to take in so you will have something to show him. Mine kinda did the same thing when they had their stomach bug. They would have diahrea and I would say "Ok, I'm taking ya'll to the vet if your next poo isnt' solid" and it would be solid...that went on for a few days until it came to the day for them to get their shots...the vet checked them out and said to give them albon that he prescribed for a few days and then bring them back when they were better. Then and only then did he give them the shots. I honestly doubt he will spay her tomorrow. I hope it's just a stomach bug like my boys had!! My favorite saying is "Why can't my boys speak english?!?! It would make my life so much easier!" LOL! I hope she feels better soon!

Oh I'm assuming they will not go forth with the spaying, but I thought i would take their precautions just because I would hate anyone (the vet) to think that i took it upon myself to decide what will and won't be done.

I can't take her into the vet today as they are closed and it didn't seem like a DIRE emergency and i already have her booked for eight am tomorrow morning.

I, also, hope its just a stomach bug or else something thats easlily cured with antibiotics.

I'd call the vets asap. The vet would not do the operation if she was this poorly. I hope she gets better soon.

Hope Piper is OK. Definitely sounds very thin if you can see her spine, so am glad you got her to the vet asap. Let us know when you get any news. :flwr:

Did you get any comments when you took her in this morning, as to whether they thought there was a problem or whether they were going to go ahead with the spay?

Hmmm, I'd be ringing them and finding out what is going on. I hate not knowing what is happening.

Hope all is well. :xfngr:

get well

i hope ur piper get better.
he is such a young puppy. Have you ask your breeder for advice yet?

Vet called yesterday morning. Asked if it was alright to go ahead with exploratory surgery to find out if its something that she may have swallowed (the xray shows something that is unclear but that could be blocking things) or if its something with her liver. On tuesday her tummy was about five times the size it should have been and not emptying as fast as it should have and on thursday it was three times the normal size. At any rate, they were going to pump her full of vitamins and perform surgery today.

Waiting for the call...

It must be very worrying for you :hug: lets hope they get it sorted today. Let us know what happens.

Back