PDA

View Full Version : Gorgeous end table crate!

Karlin
29th January 2008, 11:34 PM
Check these out -- what a lovely piece of furniture!

http://www.helpingudders.com/endtable.htm

http://www.helpingudders.com/furniture/In_Use_2_Small-310x300.jpg

Cathy T
30th January 2008, 04:21 AM
Just got my Orvis catalogue today and was salivating over some of their goregous end table crates. Sorry kids....until momma hits the lottery it's a wire crate :D but well padded with some sweet little blankets ;)

But what's extra cool about Helping Udders is that part of your money will go to rescue!!

CavyMom
30th January 2008, 04:29 AM
Wow, beautiful!!! I wish I had that much money to spend on a crate LOL Then again, I wonder if my family would accept the "But it's really just furnature" excuse LOL

luvzcavs
30th January 2008, 08:18 AM
My goodness they are lovely, I've never seen anything like that before. We are soooo behind the times here I feel like I'm living on another planet sometimes. We have only just got sweet potato dog chews in the shops :lpy:

Karlin
30th January 2008, 10:43 AM
We don't have them here either, but I'd love something like that -- the dogs would be right nearby but not overheating the bed. :lol:

Kristy
30th January 2008, 10:45 AM
oh how nice and expensive lol i could probably get my dad to make something like for a whole lot cheaper :p

Cathy Moon
30th January 2008, 01:20 PM
Wow, is that lovely!

Colin has all the woodworking equipment - he's going to build something similar with improvements; he's planning to add a small drawer for storage. Will post photo soon!

Karlin
30th January 2008, 01:35 PM
Cathy you could start a business... icon_nwunsure

Barbara Nixon
30th January 2008, 02:04 PM
The problem is that some cavaliers like the taste of mahogany. Joly ate the corner of my tv cabinet and some one I know had several of hers chew the uprights on the stair bannisters.

Brian M
30th January 2008, 02:08 PM
Hi
What a super piece of furniture but i will have to ask Daisy and Rosie not to chew ,but i like those cavalier collars.

CavyMom
30th January 2008, 04:30 PM
I wish they had the cavalier collars in a different color - I love the design of the 4 different colored cavaliers, but I don't want a blue collar for my pampered princess!!!

Barbara Nixon
30th January 2008, 04:39 PM
They have red ones, too. I've seen pink and yellow, on Ebay, too.

I wish they had the cavalier collars in a different color - I love the design of the 4 different colored cavaliers, but I don't want a blue collar for my pampered princess!!!

CavyMom
30th January 2008, 05:39 PM
Woops, I guess they are red, not blue. Still, not what I like for Amber :) I'd LOVE a pink and yellow one, that'd look great on Amber! I guess I'll have to hit Ebay! I don't want one with just blenhiems, since she's black/tan, but if I could get the one with all 4 colors on a pink collar/leash, or if they had one that was black/tan cavaliers, I'd snap it up in a heartbeat!

Barbara Nixon
30th January 2008, 07:17 PM
This site has the yellow version http://www.bigdogboutique.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=9842 but the pink only has blenhiems http://www.bigdogboutique.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=14&idproduct=9874

*Pauline*
30th January 2008, 07:47 PM
I'd love that crate, too expensive of course. I always fancied a woodwork class!

CavyMom
30th January 2008, 09:18 PM
I like the ribbon on the yellow, I just wish it wasn't on a blue collar *sigh* Oh well, I'll just have to keep looking, it's not like she REALLY needs another collar LOL

Barbara Nixon
30th January 2008, 10:17 PM
You can't dress a boy in pink , but girls can have any colour. With the length of a cavalier's coat, I wouldn't imagine that much blue would be on show.

Cathy Moon
31st January 2008, 01:19 AM
I'd love that crate, too expensive of course. I always fancied a woodwork class!

Colin priced out the wood today; it would cost $100-120 in hardwood alone - that's without the finish and hardware.

But well worth building because there are unlimited choices in finish options: natural, stain, or paint colors.:)

*Pauline*
31st January 2008, 01:24 AM
We could always just get a nice piece of wood the same size as the top of crate and put it on top! Instant coffee table icon_nwunsure

Can I borrow Colin?

estertje
2nd February 2008, 02:42 AM
whoaw! that's gorgeous!!!!!!!!

looks expensive, hope the dog won't chew it!!

Karlin
3rd February 2008, 02:11 AM
I have the red and the blue cavalier collar ordered from the site; they have all four colours of dogs on them. That said you cannot see much when the dog is wearing the collar!

Cathy you will have to put up a picture when Colin builds one!

Cathy Moon
3rd February 2008, 03:14 PM
Cathy you will have to put up a picture when Colin builds one!

It's coming along nicely. :) We're still looking for a nice door handle/closure. And he's working out various ways to make it easy to assemble, so it can be packed flat. After he has the first one figured out, he'll need to build a second in order to determine the labor hours involved. It's a fun project! :D

Cathy T
3rd February 2008, 05:06 PM
Can't wait to see it!! I'm telling you....this could be a new business venture for you!;)

Cathy Moon
3rd February 2008, 05:57 PM
Can't wait to see it!! I'm telling you....this could be a new business venture for you!;)

We went out for breakfast this morning, and we've already come up with ideas for different sizes, a more open design (slats all the way down the sides), bedding, and attachable accessories like privacy panels. We're having fun with it! :D

merlinsmum
3rd February 2008, 06:03 PM
Oh my goodness - you'll have a whole range soon!

gocamping
4th February 2008, 03:29 AM
Cathy, I can't wait to see the picture. I am going to show my Dad. I want all the slats open with a drawer too!

Right now, I have him working on my new grooming table. I got the arm for Christmas and he is making the table with a cabinet to store all the supplies. I can't wait!

It is hard to have a master bedroom with wire crates! It just does something to the decor! lol

Cathy Moon
2nd March 2008, 03:16 AM
Colin finished the first crate; it's a larger one that may be used as an end table in the living room, or we may use it in place of the large wire crate in the kitchen - I'll photograph it tomorrow. :) He made it so it's easy to take apart to move/store.

Next he's going to build two smaller ones for the bedroom nightstands, as soon as he finishes building a new mantel for my parents' fireplace.

Karlin
2nd March 2008, 04:14 AM
Ship him over to me when he finishes those projects! :lol:

I can't wait to see the pictures!

*Pauline*
2nd March 2008, 07:59 PM
I was just thinking about this today. I'm looking forward to the pictures. Colin sounds really talented, it must be great to have a husband who can do carpentry.

Cathy Moon
28th March 2008, 02:28 AM
Colin built this large crate; it's perfect for the kitchen, and will replace the large black wire crate we keep in there. Next he's going to build two smaller crates and stain the wood darker to use as end tables in our bedroom.
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh252/GeordieIndia/DSC_0450.jpg

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh252/GeordieIndia/DSC_0445.jpg

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh252/GeordieIndia/DSC_0441.jpg

Karlin
28th March 2008, 02:32 AM
WOW!!!
:w*w::w*w::w*w:

Send that amazingly talented man to Ireland immediately!!

frecklesmom
28th March 2008, 02:44 AM
What a beautiful job! I guess they really are royalty in that house. Kudoes to the woodworking man :rah:.

WoodHaven
28th March 2008, 02:57 AM
OOOhhh Cathy, THAT is beautiful!!!!

Cathy Moon
28th March 2008, 02:58 AM
Colin says thanks for the compliments! He used all mini-fix knock down fittings, so the entire crate can be easily taken apart and re-assembled with just a philips head screw driver. :)
http://www.rockler.com/CategoryView.cfm?Cat_ID=115

brid kenny
28th March 2008, 12:35 PM
Just saw this. Oh my God it is amazing!! You are sooo lucky Cathy!!!

amanda L
28th March 2008, 12:49 PM
Wow, that is gorgeous!! Is that Geordie in front ? looking happy out in his new crate :luv:, he looks very pleased with it, sitting in the doorway ;) :)

Claire L
28th March 2008, 02:14 PM
Can you let us know when Colin will be taking overseas orders Cathy :)

Great job Colin!

Cathryn
28th March 2008, 02:25 PM
WOW!!!
:w*w::w*w::w*w:

Send that amazingly talented man to Ireland immediately!!

Can you let us know when Colin will be taking overseas orders Cathy :)

Great job Colin!

I think your Colin is very talented Cathy! When Karlin has finished with him please send him on to the UK, you do realise though that you may not see him again for a few years if you loan him out don't you? :lol::rotfl:

In all seriousness though, you could have a nice little earner on your hands there Cathy, I too would be VERY interested in a couple of those!!

Ste
28th March 2008, 02:28 PM
I've been waiting for these photo's for weeks, that's a fabulous crate, it makes me want to go home and kick my boring old metal ones :D

Claire L
28th March 2008, 02:31 PM
I think your Colin is very talented Cathy! When Karlin has finished with him please send him on to the UK, you do realise though that you may not see him again for a few years if you loan him out don't you? :lol::rotfl:

In all seriousness though, you could have a nice little earner on your hands there Cathy, I too would be VERY interested in a couple of those!!

BACK OFF Cathryn....he's ours!!! :badgrin::badgrin:

amanda L
28th March 2008, 02:45 PM
I've been waiting for these photo's for weeks, that's a fabulous crate, it makes me want to go home and kick my boring old metal ones :biggrin:

:lol: :lol:

*Pauline*
28th March 2008, 05:17 PM
Well done Collin, I've been looking forward to seeing these pictures. I have to say, they are made beautifully. I wish I knew someone here who was as good at carpentry.

Cathryn and Claire, I'm sure I've booked Collin before you :rolleyes:

Cathryn
28th March 2008, 10:38 PM
BACK OFF Cathryn....he's ours!!! :badgrin::badgrin:

Well done Collin, I've been looking forward to seeing these pictures. I have to say, they are made beautifully. I wish I knew someone here who was as good at carpentry.

Cathryn and Claire, I'm sure I've booked Collin before you :rolleyes:

Ohhhhhhh :winkct: Hey Cathy, tell Colin the girls on the forum are fighting over him, that'll really make his day eh?? :badgrin:

pippa
29th March 2008, 12:53 AM
Oh WOW that crate is just wonderful.... well done to the man himself!:thmbsup:

Karlin
29th March 2008, 01:42 AM
I love how the dogs are just straight in there, too... :lol: They know posh when they see it!

Ste can't you send the SO on a carpentry course?

jld
29th March 2008, 02:14 AM
Absolutely beautiful work......WoW!!! Judy and Dixie

Cathy Moon
29th March 2008, 02:42 AM
Colin says thanks! He's practically ready to do his Ireland and UK tour! ;) And having several ladies fighting over him has made his day! :jump:

Kristy
23rd April 2008, 12:39 PM
so when can we start making orders? he could make some money off of us :p
he did a wonderful job! i love the little drawer and how the door swings inside as well.
well done!

Cathy Moon
26th April 2008, 01:51 AM
Thanks for asking - we're in planning stages! :)

Mom2Lola
29th May 2008, 04:10 AM
Colin built this large crate; it's perfect for the kitchen, and will replace the large black wire crate we keep in there. Next he's going to build two smaller crates and stain the wood darker to use as end tables in our bedroom.
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh252/GeordieIndia/DSC_0450.jpg

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh252/GeordieIndia/DSC_0445.jpg

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh252/GeordieIndia/DSC_0441.jpg

I just wanted to say that these are absolutely gorgeous crate tables! :w*w:You should seriously consider manufacturing these to sell! I would def buy!!

Cathy T
29th May 2008, 04:51 PM
How did I miss these pictures??!! Cathy, those are gorgeous! Oh you could so open a business selling them. They are beautiful. I would love to have a couple of those in my house.

Lani
29th May 2008, 11:23 PM
Definitely gorgeous ...!!! I love the light wood as well.

Nicki
29th May 2008, 11:59 PM
The doggies are saying that we really really NEED one of these - they are so gorgeous, Colin's done a stunning job. I think he could be building into the next century at this rate.

Just trying to work out if he could put a flap on top of one side and make it into an occasional dining table - hmmmm that would be perfect for the kitchen then :D

Cathy Moon
7th June 2008, 11:41 PM
Wow! :jump: Thanks for all your nice thoughts and ideas. :) Colin is working on more prototypes for multi-functional furniture (crates, kitty litter box furniture, etc.) and I'm working on a website. I will PM those of you who have shown an interest as soon as the site is ready.

Kristy
8th June 2008, 09:20 AM
Wow! :jump: Thanks for all your nice thoughts and ideas. :) Colin is working on more prototypes for multi-functional furniture (crates, kitty litter box furniture, etc.) and I'm working on a website. I will PM those of you who have shown an interest as soon as the site is ready.

oh i can't hardly wait!!!! do we get a special discount? lol cause i'll be honest, if they are over $100 i wont be able to afford one :(

Karlin
8th June 2008, 10:53 AM
I'm sure they will probably be well over that amount as they are handmade out of solid wood and are essentially, a handmade piece of craft furniture :). Even a wire crate that size mass-manufactured in China would be $70-80 or so, and this is beyond compare I think! :thmbsup: A really beautiful, special item, Cathy! :)

Claire L
8th June 2008, 12:13 PM

Can't wait to see it! :flwr:

Kristy
29th October 2008, 04:22 PM
is the site ready yet? i am interested if you had already started sending out PMs :)

Karlin
29th October 2008, 05:03 PM
Yes let us know Cathy -- I want to order one and maybe two...

Cathy Moon
5th November 2008, 01:33 PM
We finally have additional crate photos; Colin has made modifications to the original crate design, and we have two additional sizes. I will post new crate photos this evening.

*Pauline*
5th November 2008, 01:36 PM
Oh cool, look forward to seeing those. I don't crate Dylan now but probably couldn't afford the shipping anyway! Just out of curiosity, will you be shipping to other countries?

Lani
5th November 2008, 02:51 PM
We finally have additional crate photos; Colin has made modifications to the original crate design, and we have two additional sizes. I will post new crate photos this evening.

I'm looking forward to seeing them! I got the boys wicker dog crates for my bedroom (Lucky prefers to sleep in the crate ... Sparky's is just for show ...). I'd love to see Colin's new design and your web site.

Congrats!! :rah:

Kristy
5th November 2008, 05:36 PM

YAY I can't hardly wait!

Cathy Moon
6th November 2008, 02:32 AM
This is the small size crate:
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh252/GeordieIndia/DSC_0722.jpg
Colin is going to add quarter-round trim around the side panels to give it a more finished look:
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh252/GeordieIndia/DSC_0762.jpg

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh252/GeordieIndia/DSC_0764.jpg
Door opened inward:
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh252/GeordieIndia/DSC_0772.jpg
Door removed; the hardware in the door frame will remain on the door, though:
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh252/GeordieIndia/DSC_0777.jpg

We have three sizes, which work with both the orthopedic and fleece bolstered crate pads from PetSmart, Pet Supplies Plus and JB Wholesale Pet Supplies. I've found most bedding is flexible and works in the crates, whether a little smaller or a little larger.

The three sizes are:
Small - 24in L x 18in W x 26.5in H - the interior space is 22.5in x 15.5in x 22in
Medium - 28in L x 20.5in W x 26.5in H - the interior space is 26.5in x 18in x 22in
Large - 36in L x 24in W x 28in H

I recommend the medium for cavaliers. We like this size the best, and that's what Colin is making for us. Both the small and medium crates look very nice as end tables. The large works best with oversized furniture or as a stand alone table.

All sizes of the crates have doors that can be swung in or out, the door can stay inside the crate or be easily removed. All crates have a top drawer to store leads, remote controllers, tv guides, etc. The door can be hinged on the right or left as needed. Unless specified, the door hinges will be on the left. Colin has changed the top of the crate to have a routed edge, which gives it more the look of fine furniture. Photos will follow later today.

We use Minwax waterbased (safe, non-toxic) stains in these colors: Mahogany, Golden Oak, Maple (light), Rosewood and Walnut, and the finish is water-based polyurethane. Colin has combined these stains to make some other nice colors as well or any custom color can be requested.

So far, Colin has built the crates from either poplar or the heat treated poplar, which is a lighter yet stronger, insect resistant wood. This heat treated poplar when finished (without stain), looks like a rich, deep, dark chestnut with gold (not red) undertones. Some pieces of wood are darker or grainier than others, but I love the look.

The crates are designed to be broken down for easy shipping. Assemby requires only a phillips head screwdriver to turn the internal knockdown fittings (screw cams and pins). I'm researching shipping costs, and shipping rate will include insurance.

When we start selling to the public, these crates will be in the $400-$450 range in keeping with the competition (In the Company of Dogs)

jld
7th November 2008, 02:39 AM
They are absolutely gorgeous.....what a talented husband you have.:)

Mom of Jato
8th November 2008, 12:16 AM
I agree- they are fantastic!!! :thmbsup:

Karlin
8th November 2008, 12:26 AM
Stunning, Cathy and Colin! I'm getting a medium. :)

Jay
8th November 2008, 01:42 AM
Your crates are gorgeous! I made my husband come and look at them. He is just beginning in woodworking....he's taking a class at a junior college where they make incredible stuff. Maybe in a few years, he will make one for us! Rockler is a sacred word here.
J.

PS. I couldn't help but notice your room divider in the first picture. I totally need that! Right now I have an extended x-pen to keep the dogs in the family room when we are bringing in groceries or just have the front door open. It is too big and is a pain in the ...... Are you selling the fences too? I would love to see a picture of the fence up close.

Cathy Moon
8th November 2008, 02:34 AM
Thanks for the compliments on the crate.

Jay, the freestanding wood gates can be purchased online at many different stores. Target, G W Little, In the Company of Dogs, etc. Shop around for pricing. We have three of them to gate in our kitchen, but lately Geordie and Chocolate have been jumping them. There is a taller size as well - I wish I had!

Colin is currently designing an variable width, expandable freestanding gate of fine wood, and it will fold up for easy storage and moving.

Jay
8th November 2008, 03:30 AM
I have seen a few in some catalogs, but I can't find any that are the right width:bang: I was hoping you built them in custom size. I'll keep looking....they look so much better than my ugly stretched out x-pen.
J.

Cathy Moon
8th November 2008, 05:53 AM
Jay, what size gate do you need? Can it be straight, or does it need little sides on it like the freestanding gate?