• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

diarrhea at night only

maneumann

For the past 4 nights Jack has been getting diarrhea at night only; every two hours on the dot he urgently needs to go out. At first I thought he must be eating something at night, but he eats the same meal twice a day and nothing new has been introduced to his diet. I’ve been feeding him a different times in the evening too to see if It makes a difference, 4:30pm to 9:30 pm and it makes no difference, the diarrhea starts around 11pm. During the day he is totally normal.

He also takes 3 types of medication for SM: Gabapentin (75 mg every 8 hours), Omeprazole (2.5 mg in the am after breakfast) and predisone (1.25 mg in the am every other day; we are weaning him off this drug). So the last thing he gets before bed is the Gabapentin with a little cheese. However, he also gets this first thing in the am and afternoon with no problems.

We took him to the vet and had his stool sampled and they can not find anything! They gave us a supplement to add to his food to help with his GI flora, but that is it. They don’t want us to let him fast because of all the medication he takes, although I am considering going back to just chicken and rice. Although, since it does not seem to be his food that is causing this… we are at a total loss. Hopefully someone here has some advice.

Has your vet considered side effects from those drugs? For example omeprazole lists diarrhea as a common side effect. It may be that it produces diarrhea by nighttime every day after he takes it in the morning. Maybe it would make sense to remove this medication and see if he improves. There are alternatives to omeprazole.

Sorry it has taken me so long to respond as I really appreciate the feedback. I have just been waiting to hear back from the nerologist. He thinks it could be the medicine, but probably not, and if so more likely the pred (still weaning, we made progress but becuase of a series of small attacks last Thurs. put him back on for a few days which resets the clock a bit). Anyway, both dugs list diarrhea as a side effect. Jack has taken several days of Metrozonal (sp?) are so far thankfully that seems to have cured the symptoms.

Back