PDA

View Full Version : Max needs a fabulous new home!!!

Theresa
30th January 2008, 09:37 PM
Max is a beautiful tri colour cavalier KC spaniel who was recently rescued from a Welsh puppy farm by Many Tears Rescue. He is 5 years old and is an ex-stud dog. He is sweet and charming and loves cuddles, gentle grooming and food!

Max is neutered, micro-chipped and up-to-date with all vaccinations.

Max is looking for an extra special home as he has heart disease and a grade 6 murmur. He needs regular medication which costs about £30 a month although the rescue will supply it at cost price. The cost of this is currently being checked.

Max would really like a new home with someone who is around most of the day and who understands his condition. Ideally, the new owner would have owned a cavalier before and maybe even cared for a dog with MVD. When he was rescued, Max was very thin and weak and, as such, he needs extra meals to build him up. Now, after just 2 weeks, he is enjoying walks with the other dogs and runs faster than any of them!! He continues to improve daily and, with medication, should live another 3 or 4 years at least.

Max has bundles of love to give and will love learning how to be an adored pet. He is a joy to have around and he deserves to experience some happiness in his life after his horrific start. He walks well on the lead, is house-trained, loves other dogs and doesn’t seem to mind cats. An ideal dog in many ways!!

There must be a special someone out there who thinks Max is worth the time, effort and money. If that is you please call Kevin on (01249) 650997.

Aileen
31st January 2008, 05:00 PM
I keep looking at Max and wonder if he would fit in here
---Aileen and the gang(Barney---Jazzie---Sam)

misty
31st January 2008, 07:16 PM
Aileen, I wonder if he would fit in - don't see why not.

You'd be perfect, having experience of MVD and ex breeding dogs.

Theresa
31st January 2008, 07:52 PM
You have actually been recommended to me, Aileen!!

If you want to chat about him my number is (02393) 645784.

I am in NO rush to get rid of him and I would DEFINATELY want to stay in touch and have regular updates!!! He is the sweetest boy. I would be prepared to help with the cost of his medications because he is really starting to enjoy life now he feels better. It lifts my soul every time he runs or asks confidently for a cuddle!

I have started work now and although he is fine with my dogs and he gets walked at lunch time, I feel that, because of his start, he needs more attention and loving. Would you be able to give him that?!!! :)

ps I almost hope you say no cos I love him so much!!! xx

Aileen
2nd February 2008, 02:54 PM
At this time I dont think it would be fair to bring in another dog my Barney is having a few troubles health-wise if he was well I would have done
---Aileen

Theresa
2nd February 2008, 08:01 PM
I'm sorry to hear about Barney. I hope he gets well soon.

I have arranged for Max to stay with another fosterer nearby as she is home in the day. I am still going to take him for country walks at the weekend and when she goes away.

Karlin
3rd February 2008, 01:02 AM
Are you working with Many Tears to home this guy, since he is one of their rescues? They have the ability to make far more people aware that he is looking for a home via their website and normally I know they do pretty stringent homechecks etc themselves so it might be a good idea to have them post him as available as it will greatly increase his chance of being homed. They would have a large number of people watching their site for cavaliers. I know you may well have already worked all this out with them, but just in case.

Updated to add: Oh I see he is listed down at the bottom of their page with the contact details you have above. :thmbsup:

Theresa
3rd February 2008, 02:24 PM
Also Karlin, I wanted them to publish the info as it is on this site but they said no because people call them up to tell them he should be put down!! I still think he would be more likely to be homed if they did though.

There is a chance that his new fosterer may keep him if she likes him. She has had a dog with end stage MVD before which is good news for Max!! :)

Theresa
8th February 2008, 09:31 PM
Max's new fosterer is not going to be able to keep him, so poor Max is still looking for him forever home (however long that may be).

He settled very quickly with his new foster mum and is now fully house trained. He sleeps in his crate all night and is eating everything offered to him. Tomorrow we are taking him out for a country walk with my dogs!

Please consider him and ask around. If money is a problem I may be able to help, I just want to see him settled.

misty
8th February 2008, 10:13 PM
Poor Max :(.

I have one of Many Tears' ex puppy farm lads and he's a sweetheart, who gives the best doggy cuddles ever :).

I'm sure someone will come forward soon, particularly with the meds coming at cost. Our 7 year old lad (not a rescue) has grade 5-6 and his meds. cost about £135.00/mth and that's only with consultations when necessary - mostly it's just repeat prescriptions. He's insured. (phew!)

I've had 3 of my cavi's die from MVD, so very experienced with it, and I work mainly from home, but I'm bursting at the seams with 6 furbabies.

I wish Max well and I know you think the world of him.

Theresa
18th February 2008, 06:25 PM
Max has found a lovely home with a couple in Suffolk. He has an older dog for company who also is on medication for a heart murmur so I'm sure he will be fine.

I am a little sad though as I asked the lady who was caring for him for me to make sure I had a chance to have one last doggie cuddle before he went. He was picked up on Sunday morning but I only found out about it on dog pages today!! I am quite upset about it as she knew I wanted a chance to say goodbye but didn't bother to phone me. I asked her about this but she says she tried once (in 48 hours!). Neither did the rescue have the decency to inform me he had a home (after I spent £200 on their sick dog which they would have rehomed without any health check. He would have been dead within 6 months!).

Anyway, I'm sorry about all the negativity in this post but it has left me feeling a little used and upset.

At least Max is ok. :)

Karlin
18th February 2008, 08:03 PM
That's great that he has gone on to what sounds like a great home. :)

On your concerns: If you are fostering, it is important to clarify who is paying for what and what the terms of fostering are. Many rescues have a foster application and contract.

IMHO, an ethical rescue must cover its own dogs' medical costs. At the same time, a foster really must OK any medical care and costs they expect to be reimbursed for, with the rescue first and be clear on who is paying. It isn't right to go ahead with treatment unless it is an immediate emergency because rescues need to manage a budget and often have specific vets they work for at a reduced cost. Also, if the original intention was to keep the dog and the vet care was done under those circumstances, I think it is fair of a rescue to consider those the personal expenses of the home, even if the home didn't work out.

Confusions on this issue are probably the number one reason for disillusionment between rescues and fosters.

On the issue of getting a chance to say goodbye to a dog -- I know I am often so rushed in between my day job, extra activities in 'real life' and trying to rehome dogs that I would not really be able to take much time myself to honour a request like that from a foster. If you foster, you need to recognise the dogs may need to be moved asap, and that the most important factor is always the dog and its welfare and comfort. The next foster along the line often may not be able to accommodate a request like this and also may not really want people coming by. I know I would not be inclined to try and make extra calls and time arrangements to enable this -- it is not any disrespect, just that so many other things are usually happening and are important to get done. The right time to say a last goodbye is really as the dog moves from one foster's care to another. :flwr:

Cavvygirl
18th February 2008, 10:22 PM
Theresa,

You did a fantastic job with Max and if no one else appreciates what you did then Max will!

After all without your help he wouldn't be here!

You have a very kind heart, its a shame that you didn't get to give him another cuddle but you gave him the most lasting gift ever...LIFE!:)

Bless you;)

Rj Mac
19th February 2008, 09:20 AM
Theresa,

You did a fantastic job with Max and if no one else appreciates what you did then Max will!

After all without your help he wouldn't be here!

You have a very kind heart, its a shame that you didn't get to give him another cuddle but you gave him the most lasting gift ever...LIFE!:)

Bless you;)

Exactly cl*pcl*p
Couldn't have said it any better :thmbsup:......so glad to hear he has a great new home :flwr:

Theresa
19th February 2008, 07:19 PM
I appreciate what you say Karlin, but the agreement between the new fosterer and I was that I was to stay actively involved as she likes to have days out. She knew they were coming 48 hours before they did and she lives 2 roads from me, so it was not too much to ask. Also she knew how important it was to me.

As you know I fell in love with the Maxy once he was here and that was when I thought of keeping him. I changed my mind after what you said. I realise there may have been some confusion with the rescue but if I hadn't got him on meds he would have been rehomed without the new owner knowing he was so sick.

I'm sorry again to be negative about this, and I appreciate the kind comments from others. Sometimes these things come just when you are at your lowest!!! :o

*Pauline*
19th February 2008, 07:25 PM
Awww it is a shame when you were only 2 roads away. I can understand how you feel :hug: Maybe next time you will grab your chance to say a proper goodbye when you can. You sound like a dream fosterer so I hope you do foster again.