• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Winter Potty Training?

Mom of Jato

I will be bringing home my 10 week old puppy next weekend, and am worried about how I am going to potty train him since we have been getting lots of snow here in Illinois. I really want to train him to go outside, but YIKES! I have an indoor cat, so the idea of litter and paper training might mess her up. Any ideas?

Congrats on the new puppy!

If you live in a house, dig a path from the door through the snow and have a couple of cleared-off spaces on the lawn (or patio, or whatever) that he can use--if it's windy where you are, you might want to see that these spaces are right alongside the house or against some other wall so that he has a little protection from the wind. Always have the same path and the same spots so that he knows that's where to go.

Also, keep a pair of good boots that you can just pull on (no laces) right inside the door, since you're going to have to go all the way out with him. And a little flashlight to find his poops is a real help on a cold winter night.

I did the above but also purchased a small coat which she did not mind. Everytime I took her out she shivered so I was worried. Now she see's the coat and knows it's time to go out. When she's done, she runs to the door to come into the home. Enjoy your new puppy, they are truly a gift from heaven. My cocker spaniel hated the rain so I also purchased a raincoat with hood for Hali. She's much more agreeable so we are both dressed for the weather. She was born 8/5/07 and now weighs 9 lbs.

Congratulations on your new puppy.

That was my first worry with all the snow here in the north east. We have 4 feet of snow at least.:eek: Clear a path for the pup to the area where he/she will be normally doing their business. Same here I have a pair of step in boots to hurry and take my pup out. Also before the hour is near I would put on his booties to let him run around a bit to get use to them. (some treats will really help) Next I have a towel ready in the outer room and his coat ready when exiting. It is lots of work, but well worth it.

Not that Cessa is the pampered pooch or anything, but sometimes I'll throw her towel on the heater right before we go outside so it will be warm when we come in (no fire risk, I promise). If its really cold out, I'll warm up her paws in my hands when we come back inside.

Not that Cessa is the pampered pooch or anything, but sometimes I'll throw her towel on the heater right before we go outside so it will be warm when we come in (no fire risk, I promise). If its really cold out, I'll warm up her paws in my hands when we come back inside.
Awww that's sweet, not pampered at all :rolleyes:;)

I just got a new Cav last week and he hasn't minded the snow too much. Sometimes he eats it. When it rained one night he did mind that very much and I felt so bad. When we get back in from the snow I just wipe his paws off and sometimes wrap him in a towel/blanket.

Back