• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Multiple Cav owners.....

SHANO

If your Cav's are around the same age, does it worry you that they'll possibly die around the same time? Wes & Daisy are 2 years apart, so they aren't that far apart and I worry about them passing so closely together. And I've recently been thinking about getting a third B&T in the next few years, and I'm trying to decide, do I want a puppy, or one that will be around the other ages, or a senior? I don't mind anything at all really. I would just find it heartbreaking for myself and my kids to have three dogs eventually die all around the same time. Say the two I have live til they're 10.... That means they'll be passing right around the time when my kids are between 10 years and 16 years old. I'm so worried about that. Can you tell I think way too far ahead?!

Anyway, is that something you worry about? I know not many of you with multiples have kids as well, but do you worry even just for yourself?

Funny to hear someone type things I began to think of. My Tilly is 8 and Tommy pushing on 8 and that was much in my thinking when I got Pebbles a B/T. She is 3 and was being given up due to single owners work schedule. My tilly and tommy have always been together and I begain to dread it for me and dread it for one of the two dogs left behind. I must say at first I was never struck on the B/T cavis and she has stolen everyones heart and the most calm, chilled out girl I have every seen and now that colour I LOVE! Good Luck with whatever you decided

Hi
My three are 6 ,12 and 18 months old and i am totally devoted to them when i lost my Ben (my ginger pussy) who we had for 10 years i could not even speak to my vet on the phone to give my permission to let him go after a car accident nor could i collect his collar or even go in to pay the bill, all these things i asked my wife to do.I give my girls the best that they deserve they are all insured and when i am not working it is me they follow all over the place so i just think i have 10 or 12 or more years for them to enjoy me and me them and so for now being without them is not a consideration and all those nasty things that must happen to them as well as me are for now a long long time away . Chin up enjoy and be happy.

Lady is 7 and Amber is 4, my worry is that lady is like a mum to Amber they are never apart and Amber follows Lady in every thing they do, how is she going to react to being on her own, I have tried to talk my OH into getting another cavalier but no joy on that idea.

I know people with several dogs the same age who STRONGLY recommend getting them with several years in between so I do think this should be a consideration -- it is good to carefully think over what you feel you could manage. They will argue most people don't think about this at the time but it can seriously affect your life and take away what you enjoy most about having dogs.

I cannot yet speak from experience, but some of those who can have said the financial and emotional load and the time commitment once you have seniors can be considerable, and you can find that all the activities you used to do now totally cease because you simply cannot take on a younger dog due to the commitments to the oldies -- time and finances. One or two years apart isn't enough to really make a difference either -- should be more like 3-4 years apart or more. Of course none of us know what may lie ahead and it is always possible that a younger dog may die earlier due to accident or illness -- but if you have say two dogs close in age and they start to hit the health issue years at 7-plus or so, you could find much of what you most enjoyed about an active life doing things with your dogs ends. If you have an older and a younger fit dog along with the oldie, you still have a dog to do long walks and agility or other activities with while the oldie(s) sleeps at home. But younger dogs with MVD or SM can be severely limited in what they can do, and may need a lot of hands on care, too. And both can be very expensive to treat.

I find having a senior is really, really enriching and enjoyable and would certainly recommend taking in an older dog as a rescue for example. But having one 8.5 year old now, I know I can not do many of the things I like doing with my younger dogs with her along -- she isn't able for really long walks for example. To have three or four dogs all her age would really change my dog related activities especially as they get older still.

I have two boys the same age (4) and I did think about the wisdom of this at the time. I wanted an older dog actually (didn't want a puppy again) but Leo was the older dog who was available and he was the same age as Jaspar. Sometimes things work out in ways you wouldn't actually prefer but as it ended up I have four dogs of a range of ages -- 2, 4, 4, 8.5.

I don't think about spacing and ages. There is no guarantees with ages. I had someone want a rescue because they just lost their 7.5 year old cavalier. Yet we have heard that some cavaliers live into their teens. Mine are very close in age. I will give them the best life I can, whether it is 5, 10 or 15+ years.

I don't think about spacing and ages. There is no guarantees with ages. I had someone want a rescue because they just lost their 7.5 year old cavalier. Yet we have heard that some cavaliers live into their teens. Mine are very close in age. I will give them the best life I can, whether it is 5, 10 or 15+ years.
Ditto for me.

It has occurred to me, particularly as we don't know how old Bradley is - I would estimate about 8 years old.

Which would mean we have 3 aged 8-ish, plus one nearly 11 (and the babies 4 and 1).

Having said that, our first cavs,Misty & Cracker were 5 years apart in age. They went to the bridge within 15 months of each other with MVD, so spacing them out isn't really any guarantee.

Also, we lost Declan at just 7 years old, so you just can't tell. :(

If your Cav's are around the same age, does it worry you that they'll possibly die around the same time?

This is what I was thinking but didn't want to say! I knew someone who had 4 dogs of similar age die all around the same time. She told me to wait.

This is something I think about a lot. My original thought was to bring a puppy into our home when Molly & Max were about 5 years old. But now we have a different plan....can't share that now, but my :xfngr: hoping that the new plan will work out. Who knows...but dh & I have said that we NEVER want to live on this earth without a Cavalier by our side.

It is true that you just never know how long one is going to live. I sure wish that they live LONG, HAPPY, and HEALTHY lives. I'm just about to get the 100% go-ahead from DH to get a B&T. I'd prefer to either rescue one, or get a retired one from a breeder. I'm hoping for something ages 3+ since I really don't want to do the puppy stage again, as Wesley is still just 1 and Daisy is 3. I guess it's going to take a lot of luck to get what I'm wanting, but even if it takes a few years, I'm willing to wait.

Yup! Saw him.... From what I saw though it said adoption pending...

My heart has melted for a B&T pair... Cody & Rose... that are on Lucky Star. Unfortunately I can't take two and they want them to be homed together.

I'm actually tapping into a previous breeder referral I had from over a year ago when I was looking at B&T then. I've been told she might have some retired ones coming up soon.

I'm in love! :)

Beauregard and Elvis are three months apart...but whether we lose them one at a time or close together really doesn't matter, it's going to be devastating. Meanwhile, they're inseparable... and watching them grow up together has been a blessing to us. :luv:

If something were to happen to Beau tomorrow, we'll take comfort that he had a wonderful playmate nearly his whole life.

Shano - There is hope for an older B/T, My Pebbles came to me when she was roughly 3.5 years old. She wasnt a retired breeding dog but owners were divorcing and the lady had to go back to work full time. I was soooo lucky!! She is a gift from god - a real angel!! I had been looking and thinking about it for some time and then she just appeared.

It has passed my mind but as Bruce says you just can't tell.

My mums goldens went as follows

Saxon (13)
Jansen (11)
Clover who gave birth to Magni (9) and Silja (13.5)
and then Tell and Dollar (11)

Saxon went first, then Jansen, then Magni, then Clover, then Dollar, then Silje
- we still have Tell who is 12 now

Magni and Clover went in the same year as did Silje and Dollar.

Back