• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Clear Out

Brian M

Hi

Tonight i have collected ,after reading a lot of advice from all you forum members,and thrown away all the unhealthy food and treats , bad pet food "frolic" lots of tripe chews and complete foods that i think do not reach the standard our cavs deserve it came to two large boxes .I now feed them on Pedigree Dry Complete with a taster of Applaws or Schesir tuna or shrimp base with a few pieces of M&S chicken ,and as a treat Bozita chicken and liver but onlyas its low fat of 5% ,i have also bought from Burns a load of Ocean Bites, Carrot Slices dried, Kelties and just a bit of venison ears ,tongue and heart . I want in time to get them on Burns or Bozita as their main dry food ,do any members have nay advice on what i am feedin now and what i should ideally be feeding ,thanks in anticipation. :blabla:

As far as i know Pedigree is one of the worst foods u can give a dog. I think because its that bit dearer in the supermarket a lot of people thinks its a good food. I think one of the best food u can feed ur lads is Royal Canin. Its a lot dearer than most foods but its supposed to be one of the best here in Ireland. Its mostly only sold in vets. As ur in England u maybe have more choice.

Is Royal Canin better than Burns or James Wellbeloved??

think there all good brands just i cant get burns in my area, my lads hates JWB but love Royal Canin. The Royal canin is moist and smells meaty the JWB is very dry and doesnt smell of much, maybe thats why they prefer RC

Is Royal Canin better than Burns or James Wellbeloved??

James Wellbeloved and Royal Canin are the same company. James Wellbeloved is grain free and better for dogs with food allergies. Royal Canin looks and smells nicer.

good job

Hi Brian,
You are doing great! for tossing the junk food first. then you can start your journey to "good food" keep the good work up!:rah:

Hi Brian,

Royal Canin is a good food for finnicky eaters - I have fed my on this - they loved it - the only problem was the output i.e. poo - it wasn't as firm as I'd like so did often lead to the old boot scoot boogie and glands needing to be expressed.

They are now fed on Burns - a 50/50 mix of Venison and brown rice and Fish and brown rice (so they have 2 different protein sources). I put a teaspoon of butchers pouches (all meat chunks in gravy) (or natures menu banquet nuggets/sardines/cheese) on the top as a taster and they love it - no problems with the transition over either. And the good news! Nice firm poops :) - and also less poop. Oakley hasn't boot scoot boogied once!

The other good news is that if you buy the 15kg size you can get it delivered free from burns and I worked out that it will last me 68 days and only cost me 55 pence a day to feed both of mine (excluding the cost of the pouches or other tasters.)

They have actually just brought out a wet food aswell.

So all in all - even though it is more expensive than others - that cost is reduced by the fact
You have to buy less poop bags
Less trips to the vets to have glands done
happy dogs that are not fed on food made poor ingedients :)

Pedigree really is not a very good food. You know you're really in trouble when the first ingredient is Ground Yellow Corn. Science Diet is another of the foods that is not very good. None of the breeders I know would ever consider feeding SD or recommend it. While I hate to generalize, what we tell our puppy people is "If you can buy a food in a regular grocery store, it probably isn't a good food."; sure holds true in this area.

I was looking at our current issue of the Whole Dog Journal, as every year they have their list of recommended foods; Pedigree and Science Diet has never been on their list. Burns is there.

We feed Royal Canin and RC has always been on the WDJ list in previous years. The problem this year is that, for the first time this year, WDJ asked for the origin of manufacture after the contamination problems last year and RC didn't respond! My wife Kris sent them an e-mail regarding this and we have yet to get a response. For the time being we are continuing to feed RC. BTW, I didn't know that James Wellbeloved was the same company; thanks Pauline. That explains why James also wasn't on the list this year.

Hi
Unfortunately like a lot of newbies that fell under the spell of cavaliers after getting our first one Poppy , i was always seeking that special food that was nothing but the best so i ended up changing much too frequently and it was last August when we put what was then only two cavs into kennels (i always book next years hols when i come back after this years ,so when i booked we had nil cavs) that i was a bit vague over what food to feed them then when we got back they were on Pedigree complete so sad to say i continued, but after reading again your comments i will now bin that lot and change.The problem now is to what ,it will be one of the following 1)Burns 2)Royal Canin 3)Autarky 4)Nutro or 5)Bozita complete dry, plus i intend putting a small amount of wet food as an appetiser and a little bit of M&S chicken, and a daily Sea Biscuit. I work full time but my wife Dawn is home all day but i know she would not do any home prepared food so i have to go for a complete dry food but the one little thing i am concerned amount (for no apparent common sense reason) is the size of the kibble as Daisy especially takes an age to eat and with pedigree being a bit larger than say burns she could take hours, and i am too much of a softie to even attempt that pick up and put away after 15 mins routine ,and it was only a few months ago that as they were being so picky i ended up sitting on the floor and spoon feeding them :mad:.Pls dont tell me i am a complete idiot as i know already know but your kind guidance would be highly appreciated and for the health and happiness of the girls i promise to follow your instructions:xfngr::p

If you want small kibble size, you might want to go with the Royal Canin. The kibbles are small and easy to eat. That's what we fed our cavs when they were puppies. Geordie and India's breeder feeds and recommends Royal Canin.

Our 3 all eat James Wellbeloved, either the Lamb or Turkey flavour, and it gets devoured no probs:D

jwb now do wet pouches that you can mix with their dry and i have never looked back as far as jadan is concerned and boy was he a fussy feeder. (sorry most of my posts are food related but it was a big part of his two years!) i thought hard about going onto rc a while ago as it was so highly recommended until i looked at the ingredients and noticed it had chicken even in the non chicken flavours which although j can have a little of is still not very tolerent with. jwb gives nice firm ones even with the wet mix! good luck on your choice though as your on the right path having dumped the bad stuff :)

Hey good on you Brian for taking the plunge to educate yourself about what are good foods for your dog. Products here in Australia are different to what you have over there, but I've heard many list members recommend James Wellbeloved and Royal Canin.

I feed my guys on a BARF (bones & raw foods) model which is very popular here in Australia, but is surrounded in controversy in some other western countries. I know that some of the list members here also feed home cooked meals, and with a small dog, this isn't such a big deal. You do however, need to be sure that there is enough variety to provide all the nutrients, if you decide to go down that path.

Hi
Decided to go with Burns so i sneaked out of work and bought
1) High oats -for poppy as shes overweight
2)Duck & Brown rice for Daisy as weight wise shes ok
3)Mini Bites for Rosie cos shes only six months

Is it ok to transfer them straight away or shall i slowly change by mixing over a week, and with respect to Rosie at what age shall i put her on adult

Hi
Decided to go with Burns so i sneaked out of work and bought
1) High oats -for poppy as shes overweight
2)Duck & Brown rice for Daisy as weight wise shes ok
3)Mini Bites for Rosie cos shes only six months

Is it ok to transfer them straight away or shall i slowly change by mixing over a week, and with respect to Rosie at what age shall i put her on adult

Brian,

Slowly change over the week.

Just a side note - it would be more economical to feed Daisy and Pooy on the same foods and just give Poppy enough for her TARGET weight :)

Brian--I think it's so great that you're taking the time to ask about and research which food is best for your pups. You and they will definitely benefit in the long run...kudos to you!:)

Back