PDA

View Full Version : Dandruff

PuppyLuv
3rd February 2008, 12:13 AM
I haven't posted in a while ~ but things are going well!! Our golden (9) and our puppy (14 weeks) are doing great together. I can finally relax a bit now :) I was wondering if anyone has had a problem with puppy dandruff. Bailey (our black and tan pup) was on Canidae and was really itchy and FLAKY. Our golden has allergies so I thought it may be a food allergy so I switched her to California Natural lamb and rice. The itchiness has gotten less except for the morning ~ but the flakes are still hanging on. Can I add something to her food at this point to help with her flakes? We do have a whole house humidifier so I'm not sure if the heat is the problem. Any suggestions for a 14 week old with major dandruff?? I'm thinking it's also her color that makes the dandruff more noticeable.

Karlin
3rd February 2008, 12:40 AM
Have you taken her to the vet to have them check her skin? Itchiness and dandruff in puppies are often skin mites sometimes known as 'walking dandruff'. I kind of doubt it would be diet or allergies in a puppy this young. I think it is pretty common for puppies to have dry flaky skin initially though -- both mine did and they just grew out of it. I'm sure it could be dry heat in the winter too.

Mites: http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1589&articleid=725

PuppyLuv
3rd February 2008, 02:13 AM
I have read a few of your responses on rabbit mites but I couldn't see the flakes move so I thought this may not be what she has. Would I see the flakes move with the naked eye? I plan on taking her to the vet this week to get her checked out. I thought allergies at this age was unlikely too. Thanks for the reference to the article! I love this site and have learned so much from all you pros:p

FranklinFreckles
3rd February 2008, 06:05 AM
My cavalier has really flakey skin. His vet prescribed Derm Caps which he takes once a day with his breakfast and he seems to have improved already!

Definitely take your puppy to the vet, if only to rule out something like allergies.