• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Dandruff

PuppyLuv

I haven't posted in a while ~ but things are going well!! Our golden (9) and our puppy (14 weeks) are doing great together. I can finally relax a bit now :) I was wondering if anyone has had a problem with puppy dandruff. Bailey (our black and tan pup) was on Canidae and was really itchy and FLAKY. Our golden has allergies so I thought it may be a food allergy so I switched her to California Natural lamb and rice. The itchiness has gotten less except for the morning ~ but the flakes are still hanging on. Can I add something to her food at this point to help with her flakes? We do have a whole house humidifier so I'm not sure if the heat is the problem. Any suggestions for a 14 week old with major dandruff?? I'm thinking it's also her color that makes the dandruff more noticeable.

Have you taken her to the vet to have them check her skin? Itchiness and dandruff in puppies are often skin mites sometimes known as 'walking dandruff'. I kind of doubt it would be diet or allergies in a puppy this young. I think it is pretty common for puppies to have dry flaky skin initially though -- both mine did and they just grew out of it. I'm sure it could be dry heat in the winter too.

Mites: http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1589&articleid=725

I have read a few of your responses on rabbit mites but I couldn't see the flakes move so I thought this may not be what she has. Would I see the flakes move with the naked eye? I plan on taking her to the vet this week to get her checked out. I thought allergies at this age was unlikely too. Thanks for the reference to the article! I love this site and have learned so much from all you pros:p

My cavalier has really flakey skin. His vet prescribed Derm Caps which he takes once a day with his breakfast and he seems to have improved already!

Definitely take your puppy to the vet, if only to rule out something like allergies.

Back