• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

help with breeders!

tara

Hi! I do not have a cavalier yet, but would like to adopt a puppy. I am involved in an extensive search for a breeder, and have found two that I really like. I just want to be sure before I put down a large deposit that I'm not missing anyone. Does anyone have suggestions on a fabulous breeder? I am interested in a companion for my family, not a dog to show or breed. The health and temperment of the puppy are of utmost concern. Thanks!

mm

where are you located?
you can pm me if you want my person opinion.
However, most member here are more experienced on ckcs puppies. So read around you will get a lot of seasoned advices.

good luck~

Tara, where do you live? I am an occasional breeder but know many breeders across the country. You can PM me and I'll try to help. Good to be careful before putting down a deposit. I know someone who desperately wanted only a tri girl. The breeder had none yet took a significant deposit. After waiting a year, I helped him find one. She wouldn't give him back him deposit, and this was a famous breeder. Unusual, most only take deposits with defined puppies.

Nancy, that buyer should talk to a small claims advice bureau. In most states and most places, consumer laws give protection that would not allow someone to do this regardless of whether they state this as policy on their website or in a verbal contract -- consumers law probably provides protections that make it illegal for a vendor to take a non-refundable deposit or would not consider such a stipulation to be acceptable in this kind of case. I would take the breeder to small claims court regardless as I cannot imagine anywhere this would be considered acceptable -- especially if the breeder would not have a suffered a loss by his getting a puppy elsewhere (eg she had not produced a puppy in a year which seems very long to have had to wait for the buyer, and presumably cannot demonstrate a lack of buyers for puppies when she does produce a litter).

Welcome to the board Tara and good for you for taking your time and doing research. icon_welcome

I don't allow breeder recommendations to be posted publicly but people are free to PM you. Just keep in mind that a personal recommendation is only the start of research, as not all recommended breeders may actually be good breeders. Be sure to ask all the relevant questions about heart (Cardiologist, not vet) testing and other concerns and ask for certificates that prove this has been done. (y)

Karlin, he knew he could but he didn't want to get into it with her, and chalked it up to a lesson learned. There is another prominent breeder who does the same, and several breeders got involved and she did refund the money.

Thanks for the background! That is kind of sad though for all concerned. :-| I maybe can see holding a deposit if it puts the ability to home a puppy in jeopardy and causes problems for the breeder, but when the litter isn't even born? :sl*p:

Hi Tara, welcome to the boards, there's lots of great people on here who i'm sure will be able to help you :D

it's crazy out there

I'm sorry guys -- I didn't realize I shouldn't ask for breeders on the forum board. I have run into a couple of situations where the breeder wants a large (almost 50%) deposit in order to get on a "wait list." This is before any puppies are born, or in one case, before her dog has been bred. It says in the contract that all deposits are non-refundable. I've really been torn because her dogs are gorgeous, she does a very thorough job of checking for heart, eye, knees, neurological issues, and her dogs seem to be very well sociallized. It's crazy out there for us newcomers! This breeder is not the only one who wants a deposit before puppies are on the ground. One told me to stay away from breeders who have dogs available because they are less desirable! I'm beginning to not know what to think!

best of luck

well..sometimes you might just get lucky.
but i look forward to hear your good news.
the process almost make the homecoming that much more exciting!!!

I have heard that there are some big name breeders that require a sizeable, non-refundable deposit just to get on a waiting list. Let's just say I will agree to disagree. We tried that when we first started breeding many years ago. It was a paperwork nightmare, at least for us. We now maintain a list, but don't ask for a deposit until we actually have puppies on the ground and people have seen them. I know there are good breeders out there who have similar policies. Good luck in your search.

Thanks for the advice. By the way, I went to your website and your Lady Kathryn is absolutely gorgeous!

If you post your location, you might get some 'experienced' reports on breeders in your area. I know there are a few of us Texans that have a breeder (or two) in common.

I personally would never put a deposit on a dog unless there were pups on the ground....and really wouldn't if I was looking for a pet and not a show cavalier. I personally think that its unfair to the buyer to have that amount of money hung up for months if not years!

( Im not sure what area your in but Im sure Nancy can help you find someone....or if your from the Midwest I could put you in touch with a few good breeders)

I agree with what others have said. Now that being said, I'm very new to Cavaliers, my first one only came home a couple months ago now and even though I'll show her, she'll never be bred again (she had a couple litters before she came to me). I have been an involved breeder of Italian Greyhounds for several years, and find the policies similar in any breed. There are many breeders who are like those you mention and require a huge deposit prior to there even being puppies on the ground! I can understand why, because I've had situations where I had a large waiting list and when puppies where born, suddenly everyone on my list had found another puppy, but that's why I NEVER breed a litter unless I'm prepared to keep the whole litter if needs be! But even then, I NEVER ask for a deposit until I can confirm my bitch is pregnant at least (and that is VERY rare, and I'll only accept that from 1 person that wants a puppy from that breeding!), usually I won't take a deposit until the puppies are born, and I generally don't let families pick their puppy until at least 8 weeks so I can get an idea of temperment, markings, quality, etc, as I also don't breed unless I want another puppy as a show prospect, so I keep the best puppy out of the litter for myself. Also good breeders are occasional breeders and don't always have puppies available - Now you can get lucky and find a very reputable small breeder that might just happen to have a puppy that's getting close to being ready to go and they haven't found the right home for yet, but if you do it's always good to ask LOTS of questions, most breeders have homes in mind long before the puppies are near old enough to think about finding homes for!!!!

new puppy search

Thanks so much for all the advice! It might help to let everyone know a little about my situation. I live in Kansas with my husband and our two daughters. I am an attorney turned stay-at-home mom and am working harder at my "job" now than I ever did at a law firm! We are looking to adopt a cavalier puppy in the next year. Our youngest daughter is 2 and I would like her to mature a bit emotionally so that she may better understand the respoonsibility we have toward our new family member! We have two indoor cats -- a 14 year old himalayan (yes, 14 and still as healthy as she was as a kitten!) and a 3 year old persian. So I am used to the hair! My girls and I lead a really laid back approach to life -- I don't overschedule as I want to play and enjoy life with them before they are teenagers and don't want anything to do with me! We live in a small golf course community where the dogs are almost more famous than their owners! I'm preparing now for our puppy by installing a fence, getting a couple of puppy playpens, and learning as much as I can from you all! I'm just trying to find a breeder with whom I can develop a relationship with over the next several months -- then be matched with a great dog! Thanks again for all your help -- I love reading about the issues I may face when our baby arrives! My vet and I have a close relationship, and she is also advising me on this search! She has told me of potential health problems with the breed, but still feel it is a great match for our family as we really want an inside dog who likes to be around us and just become a part of our lives. Thanks again for your help and don't hesitate to contact me if you have further suggestions or concerns
Tara

Welcome Tara and I wish you the very best of luck in your search. Sorry to hear you have had such an unfortunate experience. It's a greedy world out there with such unscrupulous people, but thankfully the ones you describe do not outnumber the good breeders.

hi there

hi tara,

i received your email last week and my response was returned to me thru email. i sent the info to you again today. let me know if you still dont hear from my email.

-michelle

Back