View Full Version : Insuring multiple dogs.....

3rd February 2008, 03:43 AM
I'm going to switch to PetPlan from PetCare as I can save myself about $12/mo for the same coverage. (My premium was raised to $48.95/mo w/ PetCare)

Just wondering...I currently only have insurance on Wesley because we got him as a pup from a breeder. We weren't sure in the past about Daisy, if we were going to keep her for sure, etc... because we got her from a family that couldn't keep her anymore and she was from a non-reputable breeder. I feel bad only insuring one dog, and I'd like to insure Daisy as well, and she has no health issues, but I don't know if I can pull off the $60+/mo it would cost for two. Actually, I just can't take the listening to my DH complain about paying that much in insurance for dogs. I mean we can pay it, but it's just hard to swallow. Though I know it's for the best. And, since I've recently been thinking about getting a third Cavalier, I'm choking at the thought of paying around $90/mo in insurance for three dogs. YIKES!

I guess what I'm really wondering, is do you notice the discounts in the price if you're insuring more than one dog? What insurance do you use? I really want to do PetPlan.


3rd February 2008, 06:34 AM
Not sure about discounts but it may be possible to but if you 90 is hard to swallow your dogs are young at the moment. Tommys vets bills over the last 3 years and he is only approaching 8 have mounted to at least £2000.00 and that is probably conservative! Thats $4000.00 to you! You cant afford NOT to have the insurance.
Others may feel differently.....
Good luck and best wishes with your hunt:)

3rd February 2008, 01:17 PM
If you do not opt for insurance I would still put a similar amount aside each month into a savings plan for emergencies. The chances are, at some point you will have payouts for a dog and at that point, if no cash is there you may face some tough decisions.

I'd be very cautious about changing providers as they will not usually cover your dog for any condition treated for or any indication of a condition in your vet's notes in his files from the previous insurer. If he has not been treated for anything and has nothing in his records then you should be fine.

Personally I'd think carefully of taking on additional dogs if you are unsure of managing vet treatment for additions especially as older dogs or rescues can have significant costs associated with them over time. So can any cavalier or dog of any breed of course, but most rescues will not have started out from health-focused breeders and will be at higher risk of early onset MVD and other problems. If someone in the family isn't totally committed to potential costs that would be a sign you are probably better with the dogs you have for right now. :thmbsup: Maybe foster for rescue as a way of enjoying an additional dog -- and rescue tends to badly need fosters.

PetPlan here does offer discounts for three or more animals but PetPlan is run differently in each country by different franchisees.

4th February 2008, 05:50 AM
I'm pretty sure I'm going to insure both of them now. And when a third comes, that one as well. It's just fair that way. Given if I didn't and something occured, it wouldn't be a problem in paying for it via our savings or a credit card, but I think having the insurance will be best. Wesley for sure has had no health issues, he's only 1, so switching insurance should be fine. Daisy is all good too, but her last check up was her yearly last March. I'm wondering if they'd need an updated physical on her before I could insure her.

4th February 2008, 09:56 AM
Check with the company...it is not common in the UK but as Karlin says, the rules might be different in the US.

And remember, anything that they have had treatment for, even if to you it is only very minor and seems unrelated to big issues, the insurance companies will use it as a way of wriggling out of big claims - so double check the records your vet is holding to see if there is anything at all before you switch companies.