• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

scratching doors

scoobie

hi my little sasha keeps scratching my kitchen door .just wondering if anyone has any tips on how i could train her to stop. she is 7 mts now

Maybe she's trying to tell you something? Our Cleo scratches at the living room door when she needs to go 'out' and she scratches at the bathroom door - which is near her crate - if she is out of water and wants a re-fill.

sorry should gave given more info . she does it while i am out and sometimes during the night . think she doesnt like beng left alone

The best thing to do is to train your dog to be more comfortable when left alone. Some of this is separation anxiety:

http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=14390

She is only a puppy though, and scratching at doors I am afraid goes with the territory of owning a dog, especially many puppies. Many breeders put metal or plastic plating across the base of doors as 'scratch plates'. I long ago accepted that the sides of some of my doors have the paint scratched off them. I'd rather have my dogs than nice doors. :lol:

If you definitely don't wish this to happen, you will need to find a different place and way to confine your dog, most likely, as well as working on separation anxiety. If you are only leaving her for short periods, you can crate train. Or better than that, get a puppy pen: for example:

http://www.dogtrainingireland.ie/shop/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=239

But really -- why not either cover the door to dog height with a plastic panel that you can screw on, or just live with some scratches -- while also working to train her to be calmer when alone. :) It takes time and patience to train to get the results you want. Just as small kids often keep getting out of bed at night or coming to their parents' room, dogs will scratch to get out of a room where thy are completely alone. It is normal behaviour which can be modified by training.

We did just what Karlin suggested, which is a piece of plexiglass screwed over the door. When we remodeled our dog room, we put in a pair of nice oak 6-panel doors between the dogs room and the living room. We then put a piece of 1/4" plexiglass over the door from the bottom of the door to just under the knob. We attached it with 4 brass screws. Works great! When it gets too scratched up, there is a rubbing compound that can be used to take out all but the deep scratches. I'm actually surprised how resistant the plexiglass is to scratches; we do have some scratches, but they are all minor. And when we someday have to sell the house, it's very easy to fill the 4 screw holes with wood filler.

Yes I have had a lot of trouble with this. I don't care about the doors but the noise at night!!!
I put a baby gate at the door now.

Hi
Fortunately my three have all been crate trained and they quite happily sleep in their own individual crates which are all next to each other in the lounge ,with Rosie being the youngest shes in the middle of Poppy and Daisy ,and they all consider their own crates as a little den and somewhere to go to for a snooze or to chew a treat ,though they often swop or crowd into one.

Hi
Fortunately my three have all been crate trained and they quite happily sleep in their own individual crates which are all next to each other in the lounge ,with Rosie being the youngest shes in the middle of Poppy and Daisy ,and they all consider their own crates as a little den and somewhere to go to for a snooze or to chew a treat ,though they often swop or crowd into one.

Brian,

What size crates do your dogs sleep in? I am getting my puppy tomorrow and I purchased a small crate. I think it's 24". It has a partition for now while the puppy is little. Do you think it will be comfortable for him when he is full grown? My other dog (a lab) sleeps in a dog bed. I think my new dog may also, but I was wondering about the crate size. (it was recommended by the breeder)

And yes I AM SO EXCITED to bring Samson home!

Cristina

Back