PDA

View Full Version : Wish Jaspar luck

Karlin
5th February 2008, 12:14 PM
He has to have a growth taken off a hind toe on Friday. :( He started licking his foot quite a bit on Saturday evening and he has a big lump there that seems to have come from nowhere -- he definitely has not been licking it before. Now it has gotten a bit ulcerated. I had the boys in for their three-year booster vaccines (cannot believe it has been three years! :eek: Where does the time go...) and had this checked and this seems the best option as I can get it biopsied then too, to be on the safe side.

On the good side, both Leo and Jaspar had clear hearts and my vets are pretty accurate at picking up murmurs.

But Jaspar will go in Friday morning to have that thing removed. He will go nuts if he has to wear a cone.

Ste
5th February 2008, 12:21 PM
I hope everything goes well for him and he has a speedy recovery. He'll be back pulling trees out of creeks in no time :D

Rj Mac
5th February 2008, 12:38 PM
Wishing Jasper all the very best for a speedy recovery :hug:

brid kenny
5th February 2008, 12:49 PM
:xfngr:Fingers and toes crossed for him.:xfngr:

BobbyPuppy
5th February 2008, 12:55 PM
You did well to spot it so quickly. I hope he doesn't find it too much of an ordeal. How about something protecting his foot instead of a cone? I suppose he'll try and pull whatever you put on off! You could try a baby's bootie and put some string around the top? Just an idea! :confused:
You mention that he had gone for his 3 yearly injections - just out of interest, after much reading I am reluctant to give my boys the injections every year - is once every three years a good alternative?
Sam is now 9 years with a Grade 3 and I ideally I don't want him to have any more injections (last one Feb 07). Billy is 7 months and has had the first lot - would it be dangerouus to leave another 2 years? Thanks :luv:

Cleo's Person
5th February 2008, 01:36 PM
:xfngr: :xfngr: :xfngr: fingers, toes and paws that all goes well for Jaspar on Friday!

Lynn
5th February 2008, 01:54 PM
Good Luck Jaspar! I'll be praying for you, sweet boy.

Karlin, I just saw in Petco yesterday they now make an inflatable ring (sort of like those sleeping neck pillows people use for travel) for dogs instead of the big lampshade cones. I wonder if Jasper would be happier with something like that? I'd be happy to ship you one, with express shipping if I mailed today it might get there by Saturday. (you have done so much for us all, it would be the least I could do as a 'thank you'.) PM me if that interests you.

Halina
5th February 2008, 02:00 PM
Good Luck, Debbie & Hali :hug:

pinkpuppy
5th February 2008, 02:26 PM
Crossing our paws and fingers for Jaspar. We know he is a trooper and will pull through. Knock on wood for both their clear heart exam.

Nicki
5th February 2008, 02:51 PM
Oh poor Jaspar, wil be thinking of you little fellow,and sending lots of love and postivie thougths for your recovery...

karlin, i really hope it is nothing to worry about - it's good that you have acted quicklyand always best to get these things chekced out {sorry about the typing, you know why :( }

Will be thinking of you both .

Great news about the hearts though - always such a worry so it's really good and reassuring for the op.

BobbyPuppy, if Sam has a grade 3 heart murmur then you should speak toyour vet about vaccines, as the pcakaging insert says that the dog should be fit and healthy - obviously with a murmur like that he is not...

many peopel are now following the three year vaccination schedule - search for vaccine/vaccination on this site and you will find plenty of posts about it.

Cathy T
5th February 2008, 05:02 PM
Good luck Jaspar! Linda's Quincy just had a bump removed from his foot and it all worked out fine. Hoping the same for you!

Claire L
5th February 2008, 06:02 PM
Good luck on Friday Jaspar :xfngr: it's something very minor and you wont be bothered by it ever again. Cara and Minnie send you lots of girlie kisses :luv: and will be crossing their :paw: :paw:'s for you to make a speedy recovery.

murphy's mum
5th February 2008, 07:03 PM
Fingers and paws crossed for Jasper:)

Hope all goes well

misty
5th February 2008, 07:13 PM
Good luck Jasper. I'll be thinking of you.

sins
5th February 2008, 07:19 PM
Poor Jasper,
I'm sure he'll be fine, probably nothing more than an infection around the claw area. No doubt he'll be bouncing round the house a few hours later.
Sins

merlinsmum
5th February 2008, 07:41 PM
Good Luck Jasper!

Barbara Nixon
5th February 2008, 07:59 PM
I hope everything goes ok for Jasper. As the problem occurred suddenly , it's likely to be becuse of a froeign body or local infection.

ourempire
5th February 2008, 09:15 PM
The best of luck, Jaspar! :xfngr:

*Pauline*
5th February 2008, 09:24 PM
Thinking of you both. Big :hug:

Thelly
5th February 2008, 09:30 PM
We are all thinking of you Jasper & Karlin. Bailey had a lump on his paw last year - everything will be ok.

Chelle & Rex
5th February 2008, 09:32 PM
:hug: from us too.

My FMIL's tibetan terrier had a similar prob this time last year, he was fine after a day he felt sorry for himself and lapped up the extra attention from all of us for a day or two. He had to wear a cone for a few days because he kept trying to get the dressing off. His recovery time was extremely fast and biopsy came back all clear so :xfngr: Jaspar will be the same :flwr:

Karlin
5th February 2008, 10:14 PM
Thanks all, the vet is pretty sure it is nothing to worry about but figured it is better to take it off then try to stop him licking it and see if it goes away, and to biopsy it to be safe. It doesn't seem to hurt him if you touch and push it; it is kind of like a giant smooth wart. :-? So we are a bit baffled at what it is and how it showed up so quickly.

I'll be glad when it's over and done but was told it will be a very quick surgery. I will have them cut his looong nails at the same time as they are darn hard to do otherwise and his front nails are quite long.

metime
5th February 2008, 10:17 PM
Poor little pet - hope all goes well

Elaine 2
5th February 2008, 10:21 PM
Good luck Jasper we've got everything crossed here for him :xfngr:

Cathy Moon
6th February 2008, 12:08 AM
We'll be thinking of you; best wishes for a quick recovery! :xfngr::xfngr::paw::paw::paw:

natalieandmike
6th February 2008, 01:44 AM
Good luck there little fella!!:xfngr::dogwlk: I'm sure all will go smoothly.

jld
6th February 2008, 01:48 AM
Sending good thoughts and hugs....I know you will be glad when it is all over. judy and dixie

Linda'nQuincy
6th February 2008, 03:02 AM
Karlin, Approximately 3 weeks ago, I was watching the am news with Quincy in my lap. I was petting him, and planning to give him a bath when the news was over. Suddenly I felt a lump on the top of his right foot, and when I examined it I was absolutely horrified to see that it was quite raised and approximately 1/4 in. across. I flew out of my chair and phoned the vet. He suggested I come in, however he did not seem overly concerned. Upon arriving at his office he examined the lump and I felt immensely assured when he said it was probably benign. Quincy went in for surgery the next day, and I picked him up 5 hours later. Fortunately it was benign! Quincy never chewed on his bandage, and when I took him in a few days later for a post-opt, the vet removed the bandage. Once again Q. ignored his foot, which still had stitches in it. Five days later he had the stitches removed, and his beautiful white hair has already grown in covering the area that was treated. We will keep you all in our thoughts and prayers, and look forward to hearing of a positive outcome as well!

Caraline
6th February 2008, 04:24 AM
Good luck little Jasper. Mate, when you get home, you be sure to milk the situation for all it is worth ok? You will need loads of special treats, the best position on the bed and heaps of cuddles.

Harvey's Mum
6th February 2008, 08:36 AM
Good Luck Jaspar, hope all goes well.

Big:hug: from Harvey & Rudi

Anna (Mum of Harvey & Rudi)

Zippy
6th February 2008, 12:38 PM
Jaspar, Good luck with your sore toe.

Please don't chew at it or you'll have to wear a big, annoying collar!!

Mary Alice and Rosie have their paws crossed for you and are sending licky kisses for a fast recovery!;)

Jen
6th February 2008, 01:07 PM
Good luck little man!! :xfngr:

Scouty girl
6th February 2008, 03:20 PM
Jaspar, Scout, Breeze and Alex are sending you a big hug and lots of good wishes. Karlin, it will be over before you know it. Good Luck!!! I'm sure everything will turn out fine. Keep us posted.

Animal
6th February 2008, 03:32 PM
Hannah sends blinkies to Jasper.

[admin note: you are welcome to repost images that don't contain a link :thmbsup:]

nubus
6th February 2008, 09:28 PM
good luck jasper:xfngr:

coconut
7th February 2008, 02:29 AM
jasper sweetie i wish u all the luck in the world, u are a true sweetie and a beautiful dog i hope u get well soon!!!

Celticharmony
7th February 2008, 09:16 AM
Good luck Jasper. Will be thinking positive thoughts for a good recovery for you.

Karlin
8th February 2008, 12:48 AM
Five days later he had the stitches removed, and his beautiful white hair has already grown in covering the area that was treated. We will keep you all in our thoughts and prayers, and look forward to hearing of a positive outcome as well!

Wow, that is just about the same situation -- except he has been licking his foot nonstop for several days. So in we go in the morning. Thanks for the description of your experience; I hope he does as well!

I just brushed him so he'd look nice for his surgery. :cool: I love all my dogs, but love Jaspar just that little bit extra, so I'll be worried til he is out of surgery and has the all-clear. Thanks for all the good wishes and positive thoughts.

Thelly
8th February 2008, 09:37 AM
Thinking of you today. All the best :hug:

Caraline
8th February 2008, 12:10 PM
Waiting for some good news.

Nicki
8th February 2008, 10:41 PM
Hope Jaspar is ok, we all know how special he is to you - and to us, through your posts and photos. Have been thinking of you both.

KimNIndy
8th February 2008, 11:38 PM
Thinking of Jaspar today....hopefully he is doing great and sleeping soundly, dreaming of birds, sticks and all things doggies love:)

Karlin
9th February 2008, 12:33 AM
Sorry it has taken so long to post but this is the first moment I have had all day to sit down at the computer.

I got the call around lunchtime that he was fine and had come around from the anaesthetic and I collected him around 4:30. They sent the lump off to be biopsied -- the vet said that if it had continued to grow they'd have had to take the entire toe off. :eek:

I went out for a bit this evening and returned to find he'd taken his bandage off completely -- it was really wrapped well! :eek: He only has to keep it on til Monday; he's such a stinker. I've pieced something back together involving the bandage, some clean bandage tape, and on top of all that, an airline sock as a covering. :rolleyes: I may have to take him back in to get it redone but it will last the night.

He wants to run all over the place of course as well. Not a good patient!! :lol: Thanks for all the good wishes and now to try and keep him semi-calm and that bandage intact.

Caraline
9th February 2008, 12:46 AM
:xfngr: Fingers crossed that the result comes back as "benign". Got to laugh at those rascals getting their dressings off.

Lynn
9th February 2008, 12:47 AM
:rah:Glad Jaspar is doing well...:rah:and what a good thing that you had the lump removed when you did!

Celticharmony
9th February 2008, 12:51 AM
So glad your little precious guy is back with you and that all went well. Seems like you got him there at the right time. Perhaps your vet will apply a semi-plaster of paris type bandage which is so much firmer and more difficult to come undone, but at the same time of course, he may have perfectly good reasons for not using this method. Our Lab, Gemma( at the Bridge) cut her paw badly when we lived in Germany and this is the type of bandage they used. She tried every way possible to remove it, but couldn't! It served two purposes; quicker healing possibilities and gave us peace of mind when we had to go out. Take care, and get well soon Jasper.

Cathy Moon
9th February 2008, 12:56 AM
Glad it went well for little Jaspar. Give him an extra little cuddle from us tonight. We'll keep our fingers and paws crossed for a good biopsy result.:xfngr::xfngr::paw::paw::paw:

Do you have any of that self adhesive vet bandaging? It looks like gauze dipped in colorful coatings. It would be great for holding his sock on.

Karlin
9th February 2008, 01:51 AM
The self adhesive stuff is what he managed to get off -- I couldn't believe it as it was really tight and secure. :sl*p: He had a nice little red 'sock' and somehow he worked it completely off.

merlinsmum
9th February 2008, 09:41 AM
Hope Jasper's toe heals quickly and the results are good.

What a little stinker getting his bandage off!

Nicki
9th February 2008, 01:28 PM
oh thank you for updating us - sorry you had such a busy day when you were worried about jaspar too.

Glad he came through ok - and that you acted so promptly - a lesson to us all...

Really hope that the results come back ok - will keep sending lots of positve thoughts for Jaspar and for you.

Oh they are little so-and-so's with bandages - amzing what they can remove. Hope you manage to come up with something that stays on.

Karlin
9th February 2008, 03:24 PM
Well I was out this morning to take Fred and Judy, the last pair of cavaliers I had in rescue, to their new home :rah:. So I rang the vets as it was clear he was going to gradually work off the bandage I did -- he isn't pulling at it that much but it isn't a proper job and keeps loosening. So now, he has a white bandage that is part taped down to the longer hair still on his lower leg as it is easier to pull off if it is only stuck to the shaved part! I deliberately gave him an empty Kong toy to guard as well as then he will sit still on it and not run around trying to rub off the bandage. :rolleyes: He's pretty good though; didn't mind at all have the bandage redone by the vet.

Jen
9th February 2008, 04:15 PM
That's so funny that he'll sit still to guard an empty Kong! Smart thinking, though--if that's what it takes to keep him still a bit!

Glad he's doing well. Any word when to expect the results?

Cathy T
10th February 2008, 01:46 AM
Oh Jaspar!!! Silly boy. That's scary that if it had continued to grow he would have lost a toe....glad you caught it early enough.

Rosewoodsteel
10th February 2008, 04:46 AM
Good luck, Jasper!
We'll be pulling for you little guy.
You will be in our prayers, Karlin.
I bet every thing goes well and Jasper will be fine in no time. :)

- From the Haughey's of Davidsonville -