PDA

View Full Version : Just added a second cavalier

2cavsinVA
6th February 2008, 12:51 PM
Hi all,
A quick intro, my name is Leslie, I live in Virginia, and have 2 cavaliers. I just recently lost my girl of 7 too short years. My boy Joby is 4. We purchased a tri year-old girl yesterday. She's wonderful! They are getting along great. My question is, how long should I wait until trsuting to leave them alone in the house while we're gone?

Scouty girl
6th February 2008, 03:22 PM
Hi, and welcome. Congrats on your new addition. So sorry to hear about the loss of your girl, so sad.

It seems like your four year old should be reliable, but a puppy, I think Scout, my tri almost two year old, was pretty reliable to be left loose in the house around 12-15 months. She still once in a while will tear up a piece of paper if left out for her to get to. Good luck and enjoy.

Karlin
6th February 2008, 04:23 PM
Do you mean leave them together? I would keep them separate for at least two weeks while you watch and observe and make sure thy will get along when alone. Using a wire puppy pen or crate is very useful for keeping one separate from the other. That is what I do when adding another dog. I work from home though so have a lot of opportunity to see how the gang gets along over long periods. If I didn't have that time with them, I'd be more cautious and slower to start leaving them alone together. Cavaliers do tend to get along, but not always. There can also be friction in the initial weeks of adding in a second dog. General advice overall also is to never leave two or more dogs alone with high value treats they might fight over -- kongs, chews etc.