• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Ban on dogs in public!

*Pauline*

My district is trying to ban all dogs from the streets and I don't mean roaming dogs. They want to designate doggy parks and I assume they want dog owners to drive to these parks otherwise how are we meant to keep off the streets?! (I don't drive). I think this is because of dog poo on the pavements, it is pretty bad. I have to say though that this is the same authority that neglects to sweep up broken glass etc from our pavements. Just about every pavement has broken glass somewhere, no exaggeration. And cars and vans parked half on the pavement, half on the road so you can't get past and you can't see clearly to cross the road. I had to walk through a building site today just to avoid crossing the road when I couldn't see.

I live in a very nice town, very expensive too as is the council tax, pity they couldn't afford a warden. Today there were also two ladies with a big Staff with no lead or collar walking through the high street. It made a dash for Dylan but came back to it's owner when she called him. I'm frightened of Staffs as I'm sure others are, I didn't have the courage to say anything, I just gave her a filthy look.

Last edited:
It is very frustrating when a few rotten apples ruin things for all the people who follow the rules. Monday night after obedience class, I almost stepped in a huge pile of poop in the parking lot. And the teachers of the puppy and beginner classes go on about 10 minutes on how important is to pick up after your dog! They even provide bags. Then someone goes right outside after hearing that and lets their dog poop right on the parking lot by the cars and doesn't pick it up! Amazing.

Pauline that's terrible, could you not start up a petition to stop this, and any dog owner you know or you see, ask them to sign it.
I think it's shocking that a small majority of dog owner's still do not clean up their dog's poo.
Regarding your district, i think they could take another approach rather than banning dog's. Why don't the council have people out patrolling the street's to catch the dog owner's that arn't lifting the poo. Why should you be penalized. I was alway's lead to believe as long as your dog is on a leash you are not doing anything wrong.
As for the ladies with the staff, i seen that a lot before i moved over to N.ireland. In Glasgow i seen a rottweiller walking along a main street, not on a leash and not muzzled, same with a staff owner who lived round the corner from me, would take the dog out, not on a leash also I must admit that even though i was brought up with dog's all through my chilhood, i still get scared when i see cretain breed's of dog's of the leash. So i would say Pauline you're not alone. I also know Glasgow council clamp down really hard on owner's that leave their dog poo.
I think every dog owner should have the responsibilty of making sure that their dog is not only safe from the public but the public is safe from the dog, to me that is one of the first rule's of being a responsible dog owner.

Last edited:
We have a park through a snicket across the road from our house, fantastic for the dogs but recently signs have gone up NO DOGS ALLOWED, all because of irresponsible owners not cleaning up after their dogs:bang:. It is so frustrating now we have to take them out in the car to let them off their leads.

Oh and don't get me going on the local council.

Anna (Mum of Harvey & Rudi)

It was my dog trainer who first told us about this ban. There was an opportunity to address the council. She said she'd do the talking, she just needed bums on seats. I didn't make it though :eek: I think I should write a letter.

I can't imagine it really happening though. Are they going to have a warden to fine me if I walk Dylan to the park? Then why not a warden to fine people leaving poo. There are signs up everywhere saying there is a huge fine if you leave dog poo but no one to enforce it. If I think someone is going to walk away from their dogs mess I find the most tactful thing to do is ask them if they need a bag.

I also ask people if they need a bag if l think they're going to walk away without picking up after their dog, the problem here is a shortage of dog waste bins if we are walking on the field we've got to keep walking to the park to reach a bin so I've phoned the council today asking them for bins near the field and they're gonna put 2 litter bins and 2 dog bins on the stretch of the field, they were quite happy to know people need them,

My district is trying to ban all dogs from the streets and I don't mean roaming dogs

Oh wow, how sad would that be!

I think this is because of dog poo on the pavements, it is pretty bad.

Isn't that disgraceful, that people think it is okay for their dog to poop all over the place & then they just walk away and leave it.

I have to say though that this is the same authority that neglects to sweep up broken glass etc from our pavements. Just about every pavement has broken glass somewhere, no exaggeration.

Is this from smashed bottles? What sort of morons behave this way & then expect other people to clean up their mess.
angry4.gif
You'd think in this day & age people would have more awareness & respect for the environment.

I am so pleased to say that here in Australia, at least where I live anyway, it is very rare to see dog poop & litter laying about. It didn't used to be like that, but people are just now so much more aware.

And yes, it is the few rotten apples that spoil it for everyone.

Once, the bus stop shelter near me had broken glass all over the floor for a couple of weeks (the type of glass that shatters into little cubes) and all they did was put up some yellow ribbon, not actually stopping anyone from standing on the glass. I phoned and complained and said I have to carry my dog the whole time I wait for a bus. They told me they would do something about it and that I couldn't sweep it up because if I swept it and left some, I could be sued if someone cut them selves!! In the end it was swept up and quite a bit left behind :mad:

Still more cars on pavements today, then I think, right, who do I complain to...the police? ( I think I have PMT!) Then what do I see, a police car parked half on the pavement half on the road. :mad::mad:

I can't imagine it really happening though. Are they going to have a warden to fine me if I walk Dylan to the park? Then why not a warden to fine people leaving poo. There are signs up everywhere saying there is a huge fine if you leave dog poo but no one to enforce it.

Very good point!
"Big Brother" can be so idiotic, at times.
They have a (poop pic up) law they aren't enforcing, so they want to pass another law that they most likely won't enforce, either.
Idiots!
The fact is, the people who are lazy (and inconsiderate) enough not to pick up after their dogs, will NOT take the time and effort to travel to a remote dog park. The end result will be that nothing will change.
The scofflaws will still let their dogs #%% on the curb and the responsible dog owners will make the journey to the dog park.

Back