• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Hello from Beautiful Minnesota

Mari

2242288581_c282711f91.jpg

Hello, my name is Mari and I have a beautiful and wonderful 2 year old female Black & Tan named MaggieMae.

Unfortunately Maggie was recently diagnosed with SM from a Neurologist at the Univ. of MN.

I had no clue what was going on with Maggie when she'd scratch around her ears all the time and so I'd keep bringing her into the Vet and there would be nothing wrong.

I went online and typed in Scratching and Cavaliers and up came SM. I was devastated when I read about it and watched the videos.

I hope that I can find the knowledge and support to get Maggie through this horrible disease.

I don't know or haven't met yet anyone in my area (Maple Grove) with Cavaliers so if your out there it would be great to talk to you.

I inserted Maggie's picture on here which I downloaded into Flickr but not sure it'll work. If not I'll eventully figure it out and then you'll see how beautiful Maggie is.

Just can't get enough of those Cavalier's

Take Good Care,

Hi Mari,

Welcome to the board! I'm so sorry to hear that Maggie has SM. You have joined a great group though with lots of people who know a great deal about this and many who have gone through it with their cavs. Karlin has a web site set up just for SM...here is the link:
http://sm.cavaliertalk.com/

There are a lot of caring folks here that will give you a lot of support, so take a few breaths and relax because there is a lot of information you need to have to make decisions that are best for MaggieMae.

Take care!

Lynn

Hi Mari, welcome to the board! I'm in St Louis Park; there are a few of us from Mn here. I have a 5 /12 yr old Tri, Abbey, who sees Dr McVey at the U of M. Abbey was diagnosed two years ago with the chiari malfomation but no syrinxes.
I'm sorry about Maggie. When was she diagnosed, and what are you currently treating her with meds?

Thanks for the warm welcome

Hello Lynn and Jeni,

Thank you for the warm welcome.
Dr. McVey over at the U of M diagnosed Maggie with SM but I did not go forward with the MRI due to lack of $$$.
On one hand I think I should have the MRI done but on the other I ask myself where will that take me next. I decided not to do surgery so I'm a bit confused where to go from here.

This site sounds like I can find some sound answers to many of my questions.
I work in St. Louis Park near Louisianna and Cedar Lake Road. Sometimes I bring Maggie to work with me as we all know Cavaliers are soooo well behaved.

Sorry to hear of your troubles but want to reassure you that you've definitely found the right places for advice and resources. Wish I could welcome you under happier circumstances.:(

Your work is very close to our house!

I would strongly suggest getting her MRId so you have an idea of what severity you're dealing with. Did McVey suggest any meds at this point? The U now has the strongest MRI in the nation, they offer incredible service, and it will really give you and idea of how to manage her best.

Abbey saw McVey three years ago. She had difficulty with the anethesia, so he wasn't able to do a full scan. But, with their new facility and capabilities now, we're considering having her MRI'd again as it seems she's progressed some what.

Last edited:
Hi Mari, welcome to the board! I live in Minnetonka, not far from Minnetonka Blvd and Hwy 101. Have you listened to the weather forcast for tonite and tomorrow? -15 degrees!! How about all us Minnesota people get together with our Cavaliers and charter a bus to Florida; way south Florida :D

So sorry to hear about Maggie's diagnosis. I know you will get a lot of help and support here. And do listen to Dr. McVey, he's one of the best. If you haven't already, take a look at the SM and MVD area. LOTS there.

Back