• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Bailey is scared of new puppy

kimy27

Hi everyone I'm just looking for a bit of advice.

We got a new puppy on Saturday. He's nine weeks old and he's a little firecracker. He has settled in so well and just loves being around us. The only problem is our 14 month old girl Bailey is really unsure of him. She backs away whenever he comes near her. He jumps at her and growls at her and bites her ears (he's just being playful) but she does't like it at all. She seems to be really anxious as she has been drooling a lot which she never does. I just feel so sorry for her because it's like she's not comfortable in her own home anymore.

I'm hoping that this is a normal reaction and that she'll get used to it. I really want them to become friends. Has anyone experienced this before?

Yes, as Cathy says, just as you wouldn't let some child come over and constantly harangue and pester your own child, there';s no reason to allow this to happen with dogs either. Give Bailey plenty of time on her own. Get a puppy pen where you can safely confine the puppy to give everyone some time outs. :) I bought at xpen (puppy pen) a couple of months ago for managing my adults and it is opne of the most versatile purchases I have ever made -- I can block off doors with two panels, make a full pen, make a pen that attaches off a crate. Strongly recommended for every home with dogs, especially with a puppy.

My Ladybug did it

My Ladybug did the same thing. I got Lighting (bug) to help her anxiety but, she freak on him. Oh how I worried but we stucked it out. Ladybug finally came around and they love each other so much. When, I brought my ex's Pepper around she was the same but, they now love to get introuble together. Three months ago we got Jitterbug and once again she was stand offish but, not as much she would stay in the same room. When Lighting is having his bad days here come Ladybug to play with Jitterbug these days. Give it some time they will be the best of friends it their nature to become a pack.

We brought a 10 week old cavalier~Bailey:) into our home about a month ago. We already have a 9 year old golden. I was very worried !!I was lucky to have a neighbor that had 2 sets of x-pens. I have one (shaped in a circle) off of the kitchen doorway that leads into our dining room where I have Bailey's crate and food/water bowls. She has plenty of room to roam around in the pen area when not confined to her crate ( This is when I'm in the house ~ but can't watch her ). When I open the pen it keeps her from going into the dining room or formal living room because the gates close off the doorway. She can also see what's going on in the kitchen and family room from where she is at. I also have the other x-pen stretched out to cover the entire (wide) area that separates our kitchen from our family room. The other doorway to the foyer off the kitchen has a baby gate on it. It sounds confusing and definitely not pretty ~ but it works. I keep Bailey in the large kitchen area when I am in the kitchen. The golden has the rest of the house. Bailey has access to her pen/crate/food area because I leave it open when she's in the kitchen. When I'm able to watch the two ~ I open one of the gates and let the golden in to play. When I see the golden has had enough craziness ~ I let her back into the main part of the house. Right now they play 4-5 times a day for about 20 minutes. I know when my golden's done:eek: Limit the time for play to 5 minutes a couple of times a day to start with and then slowly work up to more. The older dog needs their own space without the puppy around. The newness is beginning to wear off and at times when they're tired ~ they just hang out together. The only time she's in her closed crate is if I'm going to be gone for a while or at night. Good luck ~ it will get better:p This forum has helped me so much!!

you are not alone

yep! i bought the puppy for my cocker..and he is so annoyed by the puppy. we are struggling too....

Back