PDA

View Full Version : hock question

Kahsie
11th February 2008, 06:10 PM
Hi

Has anyone had any experience with this, my friends 6 month old tri cavalier king charles when viewed walking from the back on one leg her hock seems to flick out, it only happens in walk her trot and canter (sorry horsey terms) are completely fine she is not in any pain and is healthy in every other way. She is taking her to the vet tomorrow (she couldnt get an appointment for today), she is really worried aout her.

Hopefully some of you guys can shed some light on this

Thanks

debbiek
11th February 2008, 10:22 PM
Hi Kahsie ,yes i have seen this one of my dogs demonstrated this when he quickens in pace it is known as a double jointed hock, it causes no pain the ligaments surrounding the joint just give a little ,a lot of cavys have this to certain degrees ,you can help strenghen it by trotting up gentle inclines or indeed up stairs

cb2u
12th February 2008, 04:43 AM
I don't know if this is what you're talking about, but last week I noticed that when Sasha walks, her right hind leg, near the flank (is that the hock?) sort of slips or gives a little, I can't really explain it very well.

I got so worried and went to the vet that day. He thoroughly examined the joint and said everything felt normal, & that it was just her anatomy. He said if it worsens, or if she begins limping or seems to be in pain, we can explore it further.

She seems totally fine, running, jumping and so on.

debbiek, does this sound like it could be what you're describing?

Kahsie
12th February 2008, 02:27 PM
Thanks for your replies, it put my friends mind at ease! she took her little girl to the vet and he said much same as you did!

cb2u it does sound like what you have described, the hock is the bones that form the joint between the knee and the toes.

http://www.tescophoto.com/wpp/tesco/thumbnails/00000010/91242/p_13335719_5587761989.jpg
In the pic its the joint below the rump and above the paw, its not the best pic to show the hock but it is one of the only ones I have on my computer at work(by the way the puppy in the pic is my wee man not my friends girl)

Thank you again for your replies its much appreciated.

cb2u
13th February 2008, 01:22 AM
Kahsie, what an adorable little guy he is!!

The phenomenon I'm describing is occuring on Sasha's flank (the area on the body where the upper leg attaches, I guess it's like the hip).

Maybe it's the same type of thing as you described, but in a different location. I am still a little worried about it, but since my vet checked her, at least I know it's nothing serious.

debbiek
13th February 2008, 01:34 AM
what a sweet little fellow he is ,what is it about pups they always have that butter wouldnt melt look in their eyes