• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Kingston at the ER

KingstonsMom

Well, yesterday was my birthday and Kingston decided to give me a great big present by getting sick, poor baby. I woke up to realize he'd had diarrhea all over my carpet. Since he's prone to a sensitive stomach, I figured he probably ate something that didn't sit well with him. I also had family visiting for my birthday, including two small children who I thought may have dropped something on the floor that Kingston picked up.

But then I really became worried when Kingston started vomiting. It was awful, smelly vomit. It smelled much worse than the poo, trust me. He has thrown-up before but it never had a smell and never in such large amounts. He threw up about three times in a row, so I took him outside in the grass where he tried to poop but couldn't. I called my mother to come over from her hotel and we went to the animal emergency room. The vet put Kingston on an IV drip and gave him a shot of antibiotics in the back (which made him SCREAM). The vet thinks he probably did eat something he shouldn't have. She gave him a prescription for Metronidozol and some canned Science Diet to eat for the next few days. She also did a fecal that came back negative.

The kids had lots of candy on Saturday night, so I thought maybe they dropped some chocolate. But then I remembered we ate fried chicken that night and I gave Kingston some bites of breast meat (no skin). Do you think that could have caused such a violent reaction?

He is back at home now and acting like his normal self, so I think the worst is over. But I do feel horrible.

:hppybdy: To you I hope that he carrys on getting better
---Aileen and the gang (Barney---Jazzie---Sam)

Oh no, poor Kingston! My parents watched Miles when we were on vacation and he threw up many times, and they weren't sure why, so off he went to the vet. His vet put him on the Hills i/d food for sensitive stomachs for about 2 weeks, and then he was fine. I'm sure Kingston will be fine too, after his stomach settles down - isn't that the worst feeling? You feel so bad for them because they're so sick! :xfngr: he gets better soon!

Wow, what a terrible birthday present for you! :flwr:

I'm glad he's doing better and is back home. It is so hard to tell with this kind of thing, what caused it -- I now from living in the inner city with four little vacuums that they can definitely eat something that upsets their stomach -- Lucy has the runs at the moment and is on a 24 hour fast and will go to the vet if it doesn't improve tomorrow.

If he has an upset tummy regularly you could have the vet check for something like pancreatitis perhaps or at least talk to your vet about the whole scenario.

Maybe others have some different perspectives to offer. And a belated happy b-day! :)

Back