PDA

View Full Version : Royal Canin cavalier food?

Karlin
11th February 2008, 11:46 PM
Someone just mentioned that Petstop in Blanchardstown is carrying a new cavalier food by Royal Canin (in their breed line). He says they told him it was just launched last week and they only had small bags at the moment.

Has anyone else seen this?

Karlin
11th February 2008, 11:55 PM
Ok I have found it on some retail websites but not on the RC UK website!

http://www.royalcanin.co.uk/your_dog/pure_breed.aspx

http://www.swellpets.co.uk/img/shop/original/royal_canin_cavalier-king-charles.jpg

They list it on their French home site though:

http://www.royalcanin.fr/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=224&Itemid=521

I can't find it in anything but the small size on retail sites. :(

arasara
12th February 2008, 01:53 AM
Hey Karlin, that is great!!

Do you have any word on exactly what makes it "cavalier food?" Special vitamin formulation, fat content, protein percent, etc?

From what I have heard and read, RC is a GREAT food! I'd be interested in learning more about it :flwr:

sannie
12th February 2008, 12:22 PM
Yep! I picked up a small bag at Newlands Garden Center, which has a nicly stocked pet section. Hadn't seen it before and fed it to mine mixed with their usual. They've had it a few days now and I have to say they love it, it's small kibble and short of tasting it myself it looks moist and meaty.

Max is a fussy, slow eater gobbled it up and even when some spilled on the floor he hoovered it up very quickly.

The small bag 1.5 KG was a little bit expensive tho at 11.99Euro but there was a promotion of Buy One Get One Free.

It says that it has reinforced cardiac function to help maintain healty cardiac funtion due to appropriate content in terms of magnesium, sodium, potassium, arginine, EPA & DHA, taurine, L_Carnitine and antiodixdants, Vit E & C, green tea and grape polyphenols. (LIP protein selected for its very high assimilation).
And the shape of the kibble is specially for the brachycephalic jaw - (Just reading the front of bag)

I'm happy with it and will buy it in a large bag for economy's sake.

Karlin
12th February 2008, 12:44 PM
and short of tasting it myself

oh go on! :lol:

Thanks for that info -- sounds very good! I am wondering if they are trialing it first in small bags to see if there's a response. The large bags are far more economical so I hope they will do it.

rosiesmum
12th February 2008, 01:05 PM
Hi Karlin

I got some of this 10 days ago from a pet store in Newry and Rosie loves it.

It's £7.99 for 1.5kg (the only size they do at the moment) but it was bogof and that offer is on until the end of the month - going back later on this week to get some more:D.

If anyone wants me to get some for them, let me know.

Brian M
12th February 2008, 04:37 PM
Hi
Not being any expert on deciphering the nutrition content does it look any good ,and it happens to come out just as i have got my three onto Burns ,so what should i do stay with Burns or if RC looks good swop over again.

Karlin
12th February 2008, 04:43 PM
Most nutritionists say it is good to move dogs around on foods -- no food is ever perfect for the whole lifespan of a dog. I change flavours or brands every bag or so. Mine never need to be changed over to anything -- they eat whatever is in front of them! I think very few dogs actually need to be transitioned between foods. I would just feed what you have and try this one next if you feel like it. These are all good quality foods. There are so many quality options at a range of prices and with different features that there's no need to be overly concerned about feeding one thing or another. I rotate them to give a range of nutrition and also fed some homecooked and some occasional raw. If my dogs had a choice they'd simply raid the trash every day. :lol:

Barbara Nixon
12th February 2008, 06:00 PM
Lots of people say that you should not change food, once your dog is settled, but mine would go on strike, if they didn't get a change (Izzy was the worst for this and wouldn't eat beyond half way down a 3kg sack). However, I'm lucky in that mine rarely get a tummy upset (worst was when Teddy got hold of three fishskin rolls). I change between flavours on well known brands and now and then to tins of Butchers or other with Burgess' mixer, which has no additives. Very occasionally they have meat, if I buy too much minced beef or too many chicken breasts, for instance.

Karlin
12th February 2008, 06:55 PM
Interestingly, I've never read a nutritionist who thinks a dog should be fed only one thing! :lol: Nor cats, in particular, as they will get stuck on a single food and refuse to eat anything else. Unlike dogs, if a cat stops eating for more than a couple of days their health can be at serious risk. I rotate all my dogs' and cats' food -- they rarely get the same meal more than two days in a row. If humans are not supposed to eat one thing day after day, why should dogs? Until the post WWII commercial petfood industry developed, all pets were always fed a range of foods so they are easily capable of switching foods around unless someone has only ever fed them one -- in which case they do get stuck on the one food.

And as with kids I find that if you ignore finicky eaters they have a tendency to stop being finicky pretty fast. :lol:

Brian M
12th February 2008, 10:02 PM
Hi
Is it ok then to change the girls food on a fairly regular basis from say Burns to RC then Origen i was always lead to believe you cant do that cos it gives them upset tummies .
ps Dawn and i had a few words the other night and i said to her you can sleep downstairs on the sofa, just before she said ", after two nights in the lounge with the girls "she mumbled" i am coming back up i cant stand the bloody snoring from them three to which i replied well you could of left them upstairs with me as there was plenty of room on the bed. :-p

Karlin
15th February 2008, 03:19 PM
I talked to an Irish RC distributor today who said they only got the CKCS food in January and it immediately sold out too. They were only offered small bags by RC so presumably RC were first trying the market. I am waiting to hear when they will get more in then I will try it (once I get through my current JWB supply!)

On changing foods -- I've never had a dog get an upset stomach from changing around foods. Personally I think that type of issue or refusing food is more psychological -- a dog fed all the time on the same food is often reluctant to eat anything else and upset by change.

But given the wide range of things most people give their dog -- treats, scraps, the dog getting into the trash... :rolleyes:... I just don't buy that for most dogs, suddenly a new food in their dish is going to shock them into stomach upset.

For a dog that GENUINELY has sensitive bowel and problems with different foods than definitely be cautious in changing foods.

That's my own opinion though!

AT
15th February 2008, 03:53 PM
My dogs have always had a variety of foods & i've never done the gradual change over thats reccomended either. Not had any problems.

there is a voucher in your dog for royal canin

Claire L
15th February 2008, 04:19 PM
. I am waiting to hear when they will get more in then I will try it (once I get through my current JWB supply!)

Petstop in Blanch have it. I bought 6 bags of it yesterday. It's a BOGOF so well worth it :thmbsup:

Barbara Nixon
15th February 2008, 04:33 PM
The majority of experinced cavalier people I've met have insisted that changing isn't good. I always felt in the minority for changing about, though a well known breeder, in the same circles, does change hers.

Nicki
15th February 2008, 10:27 PM
There is a very limited amount of RC Cavalier in the UK at the moment - a breeder friend of mine has been asked to trial it and report back, so I guess it might not be available for a while yet unfortunately.

Mine had a sample of the Shih Tzu food and did like that...they normally have mini adult, and I swop between that and James Wellbeloved which I actually prefer - I don't really like the preservatives in Royal Canin.

merlinsmum
16th February 2008, 10:08 AM
I would be interested in trying this but although my boys liked RC Mini adult I always felt their poo wasn't firm enough. I like Burns for this reason, they have nice firm poops now and seems to enjoy the 50/50 mix of venison and brown rice with fish and brown rice.

Karlin
16th February 2008, 02:40 PM
Not sure firm poops is a reliable measure of a food's quality. Manufacturers can just add certain types of binders that make poops firmer. I remember reading this on some ingredients article somewhere and of course cannot remember where.

merlinsmum
16th February 2008, 03:28 PM
It may be coincidental but whilst they have been on burns we haven't had any boot scoot boogies either.

This is an exceprt from the burns site about their food "There are no chemical additives. This minimises the amount of waste matter which the body has to eliminate. When metabolised, carbohydrate produces less harmful toxic waste than protein and fat."

Perhaps thats the reason for firmer poops - there is not as much being excreted as the higher quality food more is utilised so there is less to come out.

I remember when I first got Merlin I fed him on Bakers (I know!) his poop was never firm and was very wiffy! totally different from now:)

Celticharmony
17th February 2008, 05:39 PM
I have just tried Max on the free sample from the Swedish company Husse who have a franchise here in Ireland and have to say he loved it. He is also displaying a far better stool and less frequently than when on his usual food. Their food is divided into categories for different sized dogs, depending on the level of activity, age etc. They do an organic variety as well and claim that no preservatives, or any additives or colours are added to any of their foods. For more info, you can peruse their site on www.husse.ie (http://www.husse.ie). All orders over €25 are free and they are happy to send free samples which I think is a fair one. If any of you have tried this food, please let me know your opinions.
I decided to try this company following an animal nutritionist's advise, as he said it was one of the most natural, all round balanced and healthy commercial dog foods he could reccommend. Another reason is because I had become concerned about the amount of unneccessary additives in dog food, or worse still the ones which are not even listed on the pack. The source of the food also worried me, so I decided to do a little research. The Husse site also has a Vet who will answer any health questions without charge and very promptly too. All views with regard to the site would be welcome.

pippa
18th February 2008, 10:39 PM
My two are on RC mini light,but I wouldn't mind trying some of this I'd have to wean pippin gradually though as he has had bowel problems in the past.

Brian M
23rd February 2008, 08:13 PM
Hi
Called in today to the recently opened PAH store thats in Bromborough on the Wirral to see if they had any RC Cavalier food but no luck and from what the manager said i dont think they will be stocking it ,so i ll find it somewhere on the internet but i did buy more petstages toys and two sachets of Chicken Soup for Dogs and put i a bit over their tea ,seemed to go down fine but i think it will be a now and again addition. Took them this afternoon for a good walk along the Wirral Way it was a lovely early spring stroll with lots of other dogs to meet and sniff including a little six month Cocker who took a fancy to Daisy but i dont think she was a bit interested ,so again they have all crashed out on the bed out snoring each other while i try to watch the rugby on the telly

Cathryn
23rd February 2008, 08:44 PM
I feed RC too and have not been offered to trial this feed by them despite being in their breeder club etc :mad: :mad:

However, I have on more than one occassion changed the dogs over from one feed to another totally "cold turkey" and have only once had a problem with tummy upsets! Cavaliers are "dustbins" on the whole!!

Look at it this way, if you had fish and chips every single night of your life wouldn't it be boring??

Cavvygirl
23rd February 2008, 09:25 PM
gave Ashton this tonight from some free samples and he wolfed it down!:)

Only thing is that it starts from 10 months, what would be the puppy version?

Cathryn
23rd February 2008, 10:06 PM
gave Ashton this tonight from some free samples and he wolfed it down!:)

Only thing is that it starts from 10 months, what would be the puppy version?

The accepted RC regime is starter, Junior then Adult/Breed specific. Hope this helps??

Cathy Moon
24th February 2008, 01:07 AM
Ok I have found it on some retail websites but not on the RC UK website!

http://www.royalcanin.co.uk/your_dog/pure_breed.aspx

http://www.swellpets.co.uk/img/shop/original/royal_canin_cavalier-king-charles.jpg

They list it on their French home site though:

http://www.royalcanin.fr/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=224&Itemid=521

I can't find it in anything but the small size on retail sites. :(

We went looking for this last weekend, and couldn't find it in our area. I remember when we first brought home India and then Geordie, our breeder was feeding them RC Adult 27.

TillyTommy
24th February 2008, 08:10 AM
Popped into my local pet store. Just a tiny little privately owned pet shop and she did not have it in stock but was able to order it for me and as many as I wanted!
I was shocked and my dogs LOVE it:)

niki
24th February 2008, 11:58 AM
i'm not a nutritionist or any kind of expert but i feel a bit negative about breed specific food, eukanuba also do a cavalier and other breed specific food.
At the end of the day most dogs will eat whatever is in front of them and they are not going to be that impressed at food shaped for their brachycephalic jaw or what quality it will make their stools!

i just suspect that there maybe little difference between the foods nutritionally and its all a bit of a marketing ploy where the company get to charge you more money.

Karlin
24th February 2008, 01:38 PM
The prices are pretty much the same for breed specific to regular foods in RC's lines. I like the heart-focused additions on the CKCS food. Of course many people add things like fish oils, chondroitin etc anyway. The protein level is lower on the CKCS food as well. As I feed RC much of the time anyway I'd be happy to use a breed specific food.

pippa
26th February 2008, 04:19 PM
The prices are pretty much the same for breed specific to regular foods in RC's lines. I like the heart-focused additions on the CKCS food. Of course many people add things like fish oils, chondroitin etc anyway. The protein level is lower on the CKCS food as well. As I feed RC much of the time anyway I'd be happy to use a breed specific food.

I would agree with this.The pet store I where I get my RC is whackers in Donaghmede . He has been trying to order it for me but at the moment it's unavailable. It is a little more expensive for the small bag ,12 euro for 1.5 kilo compared to 11.50 for 2 kilo of mini light, hopefully the bigger bag will be better value. I just ordered 2 small bags to try.He said he will keep trying and call me when it comes in. He only has a small store so he will get it as I need it as he does now with the mini light I use. I will post again if he gets it in and let you know what they think of it!

Theresa
26th February 2008, 10:43 PM
Swellpets.co.uk are offering this food half price ie for £3.99 for a 1.5 kg bag. The delivery is £4.95. If anyone is interested!! :)

murphy's mum
27th February 2008, 07:57 PM
Swellpets.co.uk are offering this food half price ie for £3.99 for a 1.5 kg bag. The delivery is £4.95. If anyone is interested!! :)

Thanks I've been looking on-line but couldn't find any:rolleyes:
I've just ordered some:)

pippa
27th February 2008, 08:22 PM
Just got two small bags. The pet shop said the suppliers aren't doing larger than 1.5 kilo at the moment and may not in the future depending on sales.Anyone know if there are larger bags?

Karlin
27th February 2008, 08:33 PM
Yeah, I get 15kg bags form a supplier! Petstop in Blanch used to carry that size too. I'd try it first and see if you think it is worth making a big effort for, though -- there are lots of good foods supplied in the Cork area. I believe Arden Grange is available there and also you can get all sorts of great foods from zooplus.ie. Also many vets carry Burns.

Brian M
2nd March 2008, 09:30 PM
HI
Got two small bags yesterday Poppy and Daisy are interested but Rosie not a bit , Oh Well

Nicki
9th March 2008, 10:23 AM
I think Royal Canin did a big launch of this food at Crufts...along with some other new breed specific foods. It's now available online to members of their breeder club {15kg bags}.

I'm trying my two neutered boys on it - they both love it, and seem to be able to eat more of this without putting on weight - so far! This was my worry, that the dogs who most needed the ingredients to help their hearts were the older, probably neutered dogs.

ice-cavi
9th March 2008, 10:26 AM
Mine used to be on Propac puppy but I am now feeding them Royal Canine Cavalier and they LOVE itElja was allways a picky eater but now she finishes every bit and licks the bowlin a frenzy when she is done:)
Their coats are better too.:)

brid kenny
9th March 2008, 01:20 PM
Yes just saw it in the orchard in Celbridge but didn't buy it cos it had Poultry in it. That's chicken right??!!

Cathryn
9th March 2008, 05:36 PM
Totally forgot about this thread!! :neutral: Have been using this for a little while now and my lot are doing very nicely on it, would take a lot to make me change from RC and that's no word of a lie!!:)

Cleo's Person
10th March 2008, 01:18 PM
Bought it at the weekend - thanks for the tip about Petstop in COrk Karlin (although they didn't seem to have any JWB there) - anyway Cleo LOVES it, is now almost not eating the Hills kibble mixed in with the RC Cav kibble. - I say almost, she wolfs down the Cav food and then leave the rest for a few mins, finds us looks appeallingly at us and dains to go back and finish the Hills!

Cathryn
10th March 2008, 01:35 PM
Bought it at the weekend - thanks for the tip about Petstop in COrk Karlin (although they didn't seem to have any JWB there) - anyway Cleo LOVES it, is now almost not eating the Hills kibble mixed in with the RC Cav kibble. - I say almost, she wolfs down the Cav food and then leave the rest for a few mins, finds us looks appeallingly at us and dains to go back and finish the Hills!

:lol: Typical Cavalier, voting with her tummy!! :lol:

GGMom
10th March 2008, 05:52 PM
Does anyone know if they carry the Royal Canin Cavalier 27 in the U.S.?

Cathy Moon
10th March 2008, 11:53 PM
I haven't found it yet in the US. Anyone else?

pippa
11th March 2008, 12:31 AM
Yes just saw it in the orchard in Celbridge but didn't buy it cos it had Poultry in it. That's chicken right??!!

Yes usually and Pippin has a very severe allergy to actual chicken or any kind of poultry but is fine on this food and they Love It!

hbmama
11th March 2008, 02:43 AM
I have called around and no one stocks it, probably because there just aren't that many cavaliers around here to make it worth their while. I am going to see if I can order some on line.

pippa
12th March 2008, 12:45 PM
Yes usually and Pippin has a very severe allergy to actual chicken or any kind of poultry but is fine on this food and they Love It!

Oh dear, I introduced this food gradually and since sunday last they are on full cav food Unfortunatly they have started to do fairly soft (pippins is very soft) poos and have started scooting as it is sticking to their butt area ..Yuck.. I spent last night cleaning bums!

Think I may have to go back to the old reliable RC mini light and just serve it with veg as it does keep their weight down but doesn't seem to fill Pippin. Then again nothing seems to fill Pippin, if I put a whole bag down he'd probably finish it:)

PS. They haven't been eating anything else so I can only put it down to the change in food.

pippa
13th March 2008, 08:54 AM
Not too soft yesterday and no dirty bums.. so I'll give it another couple of days. Checked the ingredients of cav 27 and mini light and the only difference seems to be cav 27 has tomato and egg powder in it and the rice and maise amounts are different,more rice in the cav 27...would these subtle changes really make a difference?

Chardonnay
13th March 2008, 05:25 PM
I checked out the RC Canadian website and it doesn't look like it is available in Canada and there's no indication it will be.

I'm curious about the protein content people mentioned. Is high protein a concern when it comes to Cavaliers?

pippa
13th March 2008, 08:00 PM
Asked advice from the guy in the pet shop ...he's very good and has always advised well.. He said their stomachs may just take a little while getting used to the change but they should be fine..but he said it may be the protein that the need to adjust to. The poops seem a bit firmer again today.

Chelle & Rex
14th March 2008, 12:04 PM
Rex didn't like it at all - it made him sick :(

TillyTommy
15th March 2008, 09:58 AM
Bought ten packs fromt he half price offer someone suggested on this thread and thankfully my dogs LOVE it. My cat has never eaten dried food and I gave her a bit and she too LOVED it. Wonder if their is something similiar for cats? She has ALWAYS turned her nose up to dry food so this was a real shock and she even keeps sniffing around the cupboard its in. Any suggestions?

-leah-
22nd March 2008, 12:05 PM
I ordered this food from a petshop in Duleek they got it in today, I am going to buy two 1.5kg bags to start with not sure how long the are going to last as it will only be bailey eating it, holly has to eat cd for the rest of her life to keep away the cystitis/struvites!

niki
22nd March 2008, 12:16 PM
Bought ten packs fromt he half price offer someone suggested on this thread and thankfully my dogs LOVE it. My cat has never eaten dried food and I gave her a bit and she too LOVED it. Wonder if their is something similiar for cats? She has ALWAYS turned her nose up to dry food so this was a real shock and she even keeps sniffing around the cupboard its in. Any suggestions?

BTW I also have a cat called Fifi and she is very much Queen of the castle;)

Royal Canin do cat food and also breed specific cat food - i saw RC siamese and persian food yesterday in Pets At Home

I'm currently changing mine (dogs) over to Royal Canin mini junior and adult and its going down well, (its currently on buy one get one free or 3 for 2 in PAH but they didnt have the breed specific food in stock)
Both my cats eat IAMS and will eat the dog food if given the chance. I once caught Fifi putting her paw through the puppy's crate and stealing puppy food

TillyTommy
22nd March 2008, 06:26 PM
Thanks for that I will look for Queen Fifi - at the moment she is chomping away at the dogs food whenever she can! She has her normal food but for a treat I have been giving her some and she LOVES it!

Niki - Must be something to do with cats named Fifi! lol

Karlin
22nd March 2008, 08:53 PM
All my cats (4!) primarily eat Royal Canin Fit 32.