• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Safe chewies?

hbmama

I know this topic has probably been beaten to death, and my breeder said NO GREENIES EVER! do to choking hazards....soo, I got the kongs (even with treats inside, Dottie looks at me like, you have to be kidding, I am not the least interested in THAT thing!:yuk: So, I got her a nice safe, nylabone, which she loved, but has proceeded to get large chunks off and tried to swallow!:eek: Then, someone said that Merricks bully sticks are good, so I got one of those, and that gave her a mildly loose stool.:neutral: If rawhide is a choking hazard also, then what the heck do I give her to keep her happy? When I am not looking she tries to sneak hubbys size 12 tennis shoe. Please, some guidance here???? Thanks in advance for your replies!!!

Try peanut butter in the kong ...

Also, Sam's Yams are good - and actually add fiber so wouldn't have the same impact as the bully sticks. They are dehydrated sweet potatoes.

Lucky does love bully sticks, but if he chews too much he has that same issue.

I also got Lucky some Antlerz. Google them and see if they are available near you ... might be worth trying. They don't splinter like bones can. they are sawed off antlers that deer have shed. So no animals hurt in the making of them.

Good Luck. Lucky was a devil dog during his puppy days ... so I know all about trying to divert destructive chewing. :)

Some things I use are:

Sam's Yams - I get the Big Boyz size and break the largest ones in half.
http://www.amazon.com/Sweet-Potato-...2?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1203259406&sr=8-2

Snook's Sweet Potato - size small - these are really hard, so will last a longer time.
http://www.snookdog.com/merchant.ihtml?id=16&step=2

Granulated Rawhide. It is chopped up little pieces presses into a shape. Usually sticks. I just bought a package of 250 from PetSmart that worked out to 6 cents per treat.

Smokehouse Lammy Munchies (thick pieces of Lamb Lung). If you can't find that then Merrick's Lamb Lung Fillets, which are thinner cuts and don't last as long.

Merrick Texas Toothpick

Well, that is just the thing --you have breeders freaking out over a form of Greenies that isn't even sold anymore -- yet a dog would be far more likely to end up in the emergency room having swallowed a piece of Nylabone. :eek: And a lot of the people who are/were very wound up about Greenies were also those who feed raw bones going by posts to various lists :rolleyes:. I have given Greenies, both old and new style, every week for 4 years without any problems, but I nearly had a serious emergency due to a chicken wing.

I weigh up the chew -- how likely is it that it could become a blockage? Chip teeth? etc -- and then supervise.

Yams etc are not really chews in any significant sense -- they are more treats in my book -- the dog will eat them in moments.

The chews that I give my crew are things that last a while, give significant chewing activity, and hopefully help clean teeth.

I like pizzle sticks (bully sticks), cow hooves, flat rawhide rectangles, baked neck sinew, dried tripe, Greenies, Fish jerky, Boodabones.

I would stop giving Nylabones of whatever hardness the ones are that she is chewing pieces off, and give her only the extra hard ones. They come in 2 or 3 hardnesses.

I also take chews away when they are approaching turning into small pieces that might be swallowed.

I've never had a dog be interested in a Nylabone for more than the first hour after purchase. Monty has nearly chocked and been sick on other occasions after having rawhide chews, even the ones sold by vets. The problem is taht he swallows anything less than three inches long.

We were warned off pigs ears and munch sticks, from the Far East, as they don't have rules about using poisonous colourings or preservatives, so the only munch stick sthey , only sometimes, get are minty flavoured ones, made in Yorkshire. I did complain to this company, as they have reduced the mint content to a point wheere humans can no longer detect it and , worse , have deepend the colouring. (The attitude was , that the public want this so hard luck .

Besides these rare munch stick treats, mine get a daily fishskin cube, and every fortnight or so a Jumbone (medium for the normal dogs and a large for Monty). On Jumbone day their food is cut to compensate.

They get the occasional piece of carrot, but I fear giving a whole one , incase someone swallow sa large chunk and chokes or blocks their gut (Having known someone whose cavalier died as a result of swallowing a piece of corn husk).

Thanks Karlin for posting about Greenies. I do give my dog Greenies. They are the new kind, not the ones that had problems in the past. I was just embarrassed to put them down. My doggy daycare won't even give my dogs Greenies, if I bring them as their snack for the day.

Oakley likes nylabones - though I give him the hard ones as he is a good chewer. They both have fish roll/Burns Ocean bites. They have the big cigar rawhide rolls but always supervised. I also give the flat rawhide strips ( Denta chew I think). Good boy also do some minty rawhide rolls - but again they are always supervised.

They are both partial to frozen green beans and now and again I get them the mini roasts from PAH.

Thanks for all of your input and replies! I am going to try some of the tried and trues that have been posted, with close supervision of course. I am also happy that they have reformulated greenies, and that you all haven't had any problems with them! Will start shopping now, and let you know what little miss picky chew thinks of the new items!

Umm........pardon my ignorance, but what on earth are Greenies?! :confused: Can I get them at Pets At Home?
By the way, I took Phoebe to her very first training class tonight, all the other pups really got into it and were performing brilliantly. Phoebe just wanted to kiss everybody and offer her paw for high fives! Methinks I've been a tad remiss with the basic training up until now :rolleyes: (she charmed everybody though and several people wanted to take her home at the end of the session!) :luv:
Phoebe Bo's mum :)

Here is another good one....carrots...you can even try frozen. After getting frustrated with the baby carrots getting slimey too quickly, I have been buying organic regular carrots, and they are even better thickness for chewing. They don't really provide any nutrition (dogs cannot digest veggies unless cooked or ground up) but they are great for chewing.

Just have to say how cute Phoebe is :luv: She looks like Ruby's sister also called Phoebe! but that was a while ago we saw her last! Ruby is just the same at training,they think they are there just to be loved!

Thank you Bunnylover, this is my first ever doggy and I can't tell you how happy I am that I chose this breed. We absolutely adore Phoebe, in fact I've been following the posts regarding taking on another Cavalier as I'm so smitten with her. We've decided to wait until she is about eighteen months old before we seriously do anything about it.
How old is Ruby? I'm relieved that my pup isn't the only clown at training sessions! The thing is, they are really clever little dogs it's just that they think they should do everything on their own terms and I've thought a number of times recently, ......who's training whom!!!? ;)

You're so right!! Everything on their terms! She can do everything (heel,sit,stay etc) brilliantly 9 times out of 10 but then sometimes she has a blip! She's 9 months old now and our first dog too and we all adore her :luv: She's such a treasure and gives us so much pleasure.Keep me posted on the training :)

PaH do stock greenies, but after being warned off them , years ago, have never felt inclined to try them. They probably wouldn't last Monty long anyway, as he used to demolish the veggie chews made by Nylabone.

Thanks for the link Barbara, I will look out for them next time I go into PAH.:)
Not in any hurry to try out anything new with Phoebe at the moment though, as she has had a bit of a funny tummy recently. She's currently on chicken and rice with a bit of veg and very little in the way of treats. (Vet believes she is prone to little bouts of colitis) I intend to introduce anything new into her diet very slowly and carefully in the future.
Phoebe's mum:)

Bunnylover, Don't expect news any time soon regarding progress with training, I think it's going to be a long hard road!! Mind you it doesn't help when I keep cracking up all the time at her performance!!:razz::luv:

Come on. cavaliers are easy to train. It took only a couple of sessions to teach Joly sendaway, using 'touch' 5 minutes to do situp and the same to teach Teddy to wave.

Back