• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Puppy has gas

bellacherie

I was gradually transitioning Bella between soaked and dry food and she has just gone onto dry.

She has had quite bad gas :eek: since going completly dry (royal canin). This is the only dietary change in recent days.

Is there anything else which could be to blame?

It's not a huge problem but I'd like to rule out anything else which could be problematic.

BTW Bella is 14.5 weeks.

You might want to call her breeder and see what she would suggest.

Otherwise you could just prepare her food as you did before the change, so she feels better. :luv:

There's no real reason not to give her moistened food. But I can't imagine that just the shift between soaking and not soaking would cause stomach upset. Nonetheless unless she is looking uncomfortable or ill I'd just try wetting the food slightly again, see if that makes a difference; if it doesn't, talk to the vet or the breeder. Myabe wait a while and try giving just dry on its own again. The only thing I can think of is maybe she isn't drinking enough now that some water isn't integrated into her meal?

Are you giving her any treats rawhide, chicken, fruit or veg ? or strictly just the royal canin ? If just the royal canin it is probably just her little tummy transitioning to break down the food as by moistening it the process was already started. How much discomfort is there ? It may be something that you slowly slowly push through?

She doesn't really seem bothered by it.

She gets beans and carrots and other vet approved treats as snacks.

Do dogs normally have gas?

They shouldn't have gas. India had gas from eating EVO, so I changed her food to Canidae - she's back to normal. I wouldn't feed anything that gives them gas.

My dog definately pass wind as occasionally they even make a noise if they are sat on the tiled floor and they spin around and look at their bottom as if to say what just happened ? Its a bit funny really :razz:

However they are not uncomfortable with it, no tummy gurgle or restlessness ? It does not even smell unless I have fed them rawhide which I rarely do.

You maybe need to do an elimination of foods to work out which is causing the problem ? So long as there is no discomfort and her stool stays the same I think you should be fine ?

The main thing is that she isn't uncomfortable with it, if her tummy feels hard or looks distended or she is obviously uncomfortable she may have picked up a tummy bug, or it could be she isn't drinking enough water now that she is on totally dry feed. If in doubt soften her feed a little bit again and see if this makes a difference.

I know Annie gets a lot of gas if she has green beans in the evening :eek: LOL. Might try elimination routine with the vegetables and see if one of them is the culprit. Kibble might have a good amt of fiber in it and she's getting an abundance right now.

Back