• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Hygiene during heat.

sins

Daisy is ten days into her second heat at this stage.She's confined to areas of the house which are tiled but she's starting to smell a bit horrid and poor thing is really feeling isolated and neglected. Is it ok to toss her in the bath and give her a good wash so she can at least get a few decent cuddles and get picked up without ruining my clothes.Or should I wait until she stops bleeding which should be soon?
*(Honest I'm not a hygiene freak but even the kids turn up their noses and go eeew!):D
Sins

Yes, you can bathe her. I usually do this at least once/twice while they are in season-- I change their crate- bedding daily.

I tried to find the doggie pants but even the larger pet stores like maxi zoo didn't stock them.Anyway, I'll order them online before next season arrives in August.
I gave her a warm bath and shower and she's back to being a fragrant fluffy teddy bear once again(temporarily at least).
Her basket is easy to take care of, it's plastic with removable washable covers for the cushions.
Thanks for the info.
Sins

maybe you could give her a little rinse with just water underneath every day or 2 until she stops bleeding i did this with Suki and it seemed to work pretty well, didn't notice her getting smelly and i gave her a good bath when the season was over.
she was also quite subdued (low) during her season and i didn't really restrict where she could go in the house i just made sure she had a towel to sit on and kept it all as clean as i could
Suki's only had one season and she is spayed now as i never planned to breed from her so it wont happen again.

glad you can give her lots of hugs again :paw:

i don;t like doggy pants i think it discourages them from washing down there i just wash daily either with a soap flannel or a hand full of baby wipes

i don;t like doggy pants i think it discourages them from washing down there i just wash daily either with a soap flannel or a hand full of baby wipes

Agree with you on the doggy pants Inca, no harm in bathing her as and when you need to, most of my girls keep themselves very clean when in heat but if they start getting a bit riffy it's into the bath with them!!

I'm watching these threads like a hawk, as Dottie is just about 7 months and could have her first season any time soon. We made the decision to let her go through one heat then spay 4 months after the initial onset, on the strong recommendation of our breeder.

We will have no problem isolating her and we have HIGH walls in a securely fenced backyard for supervised potty and play, but, still not looking forward to possible mood swings and messie pants. :*gh:It's tough being a girl!

As everyone has already said, yes bathing is a nice way to be keeping her nice & fresh. You may not even need to bath her all over. Perhaps if you've got a hand held shower nozzle, you can just give her little rear end a showering off with warm water. You probably don't even need shampoo. You can get girly dog sanitary wear, but I am not sure how it goes on a long haired breed.

Agree with others on bathing.

Sometimes they wear the pants, other times they don't. Depends on how much spotting there is. And they only wear them in the house, not outside (obviously) or when they are in their crate. The other thing we do that I don't recall seeing mentioned here is to put a panty shield in the pants. We can then change the panty shields every time the pants come off.

Back