• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Potty Training

Halina

Is it normal for a cav to show their dismay by urinating in front of you. My mother-in-law had a heart attack and I had to leave for 2 days. Even though my adult son(s) were with her at home, when I came home she made 2 accidents within 2 hours of being home and that was with me taking her out. The second time, she squatted and looked up at me while she did it.

She has never done this.

That's exactly what Mya used to do to. It got frusturating at times but I just lived with it until she was potty trained. She had about an accident everyday for almost 2 weeks until she got the hang of it. I used tot hink she didn't get it! LOL but her look on her face when she was peeing in front of me indoors was like her saying, "oops", in a sarcastic way!

Don't worry bout it and just keep working on her housetraining as normal. ALL puppies have accidents and so do adult dogs, believe me, under certain circumstances!! She's still only a puppy (and a very young one at that) and is not housetrained -- she won't be for months yet -- so accidents like this are absolutely par for the course, and the fact that you were gone would have upset the new routine she was only just getting used to in a new home.

Puppies don't urinate to annoy or get back at people, they urinate because they have to go, or they are showing appeasement if they think someone is angry, or they are anxious, or they are marking territory that is 'their own' for reassurance. I would guess it could have been any or all of these things. (y) She also is looking at you only because you are there! Not because she has an agenda. :lol:

So just get her back to her routine and reward and praise for the right action; never punish or scold for mistakes. Make sure as best you can thatshe is never left in such a situation that she is able to have mistakes and that really hastens the process. If you don't own it I always highly recommend Shirlee Kalstone's housetraining book -- it makes things a LOT easier and answers questions most people have on the whole process.

I was very anxious when I returned that evening because of my mother-in-law's health (heart attack). Prior to coming home she pee 'd on a blanket we cuddle together, later in the middle of the kitchen which I did not catch and then in front of me, all within 3 hours and that was with me taking her out! I so wanted things to return to normal but you could tell she was a little confused. I so missed her when I was away. Yesterday however was just like always, loving, cuddling and no accidents. Thanks for the reassurance. I am grateful for this group and am learning so much. Debbie:)

Back