PDA

View Full Version : Sam: Five year old male

Karlin
22nd February 2008, 07:00 PM
Have a housetrained five year old male cavalier coming into rescue, looking for an adult home or a home with older children. Pictures to come.

Cathryn
22nd February 2008, 09:28 PM
Fingers crossed for a speedy outcome on this one Karlin.

Karlin
24th February 2008, 10:26 PM
Oh this poor, poor dog. :(

Well, the owners whoever they are (I did not meet them -- he came via another rescue) hadn't given a very truthful story on this boy. He's a five year old male blenheim, a bit overweight, long nails, dirty, matted, wearing a choke chain. :( No idea what to do with toys, no training. A little afraid of people and easily overexcited and very, very stressed at the moment, having spent several days alone in kennels. I would guess he has been left in a back garden or tied up and mainly used for breeding or similar. At the moment I would say he needs to be classed as a puppy farm type rescue and needs calm TLC and structure so he can find his feet. He is even afraid of coming into the house. He sure has not known much love or human contact.

He's going into foster where we can get him cleaned up and he can chill out for a few days, and then he will be neutered. After a bit I'll have a better sense of his personality and will have a picture later this week.

Karlin
25th February 2008, 03:27 PM
OK, he's a lot more chilled today. :cool: I've checked with the rescue who has contact with the owner and from talking to them, I'd say he wasn't used for breeding (or at least wasn't only used for breeding!) but is the classic example of what happens when you get a people focused dog like a cavalier then don't bother to train him and expect him to live outside in the garden all day. He has all the signs of being a neglected backyard dog. He is very friendly and relaxed today and we should have some pics later. He has enjoyed having a walk and will get a bath and be vet checked a bit later and then, scheduled for his snip 'n' chip.

We will let him adjust a bit more to normal life, then he will be homed on condition of doing an obedience class, and to an adult or older children family only.

Thelly
25th February 2008, 04:49 PM
Here are some pics of Sam - he is going for his bath now and then for a check with the vets in the morning. He is a dote and is wagging his tail all the time now.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2382/2291690496_2c3b4d1942.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3169/2290901013_1347dd7630.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2331/2290900517_3740d20c0b.jpg

Karlin
25th February 2008, 05:43 PM
Thanks for posting some pics. :thmbsup: He is quite a handsome fellow!

Daisy's Mom
25th February 2008, 06:11 PM
OMG -- he is beautiful! So happy for him to be out of that horrible situation! At least the owners have given him up. Poor little guy. It's so great to hear that he's happy now!

Cathy T
25th February 2008, 06:15 PM
So glad you all have him and he is out of that situation. He looks like a handsome fella. So glad he's now in Thelly's extremely capable hands.

Barbara Nixon
25th February 2008, 06:16 PM
He is a pretty little boy.

Some newsagents, near us, got a lot of sympathetic publicity when they claimed that one of their two cavaliers had beeen stolen and killed in nearby fields. However, both dogs were left outside , from the early hours until 6pm and a photo of the premises showed a fence, with gaps easily broached by a pup (the dogs were in an open topped pen). I think the poor puppy escaped and fell, because, where he died the ground is very steep with rocky outcrops. A thief would have taken both dogs and neighbours heard no barking. Why do such people have dogs?

Aileen
25th February 2008, 08:19 PM
He is a pretty little boy.

Some newsagents, near us, got a lot of sympathetic publicity when they claimed that one of their two cavaliers had beeen stolen and killed in nearby fields. However, both dogs were left outside , from the early hours until 6pm and a photo of the premises showed a fence, with gaps easily broached by a pup (the dogs were in an open topped pen). I think the poor puppy escaped and fell, because, where he died the ground is very steep with rocky outcrops. A thief would have taken both dogs and neighbours heard no barking. Why do such people have dogs?
Who knows?
----Aileen and the gang (Barney---Jazzie---Sam)

Cavvygirl
25th February 2008, 11:48 PM
At least he has the chance to be loved as he should be now!:)

Cathryn
25th February 2008, 11:54 PM
Aww poor little chap! He looks such a love, am hoping that things work out well for him long term, Thank You for posting his pic Thelly!! :thmbsup:

*Pauline*
26th February 2008, 01:38 AM
Oh poor fella, he looks exhausted. But in the hands of Thelly, I'm sure he'll pick up in no time. Would love to see some more pics when he is feeling happier. Well done Karlin and Thelly for helping Sam. It makes me wonder, who could have left him outside when he looks at you with those adorable eyes.

pippa
26th February 2008, 10:57 AM
He is beautiful, why do people think a cavalier will be happy living alone outside!!?

Karlin
26th February 2008, 07:39 PM
He has a heart murmur; not sure what grade at the moment. Also an undescended testicle and was never neutered for this. :mad: This is a risky condition to leave untreated (eg intact) so he will go in for his neuter tomorrow.

misty
26th February 2008, 09:51 PM
Good luck tomorrow, lad.

pippa
27th February 2008, 09:34 PM
Any word yet on how his op went today..hope all is well.

Karlin
27th February 2008, 09:37 PM
It's tomorrow, so more waiting yet! :xfngr:

pippa
27th February 2008, 10:03 PM
oh I thought it was today..fingers crossed.

Cathy Moon
28th February 2008, 01:57 AM
He looks like a sweetheart. Sending all our best wishes for him tomorrow. :xfngr::xfngr::paw::paw::paw: Thelly, bless you for taking him in - you are such kind people to help him like this!

Cathryn
28th February 2008, 01:22 PM
Fingers crossed all goes well for him at the vets today! :xfngr:

Karlin
28th February 2008, 03:38 PM
I spoke to the vet --the internal testicle was swollen and probably cancerous -- it has been sent off for a biopsy. Fortunately it doesn't look like it had spread further. He has a medium grade murmur as well.

Please, please, please, for anyone with a male with an undescended testicle, get him neutered asap. The longer a testicle remains internally, the likelier it is to develop a cancerous tumour. Sam is lucky this was found now. A few weeks or months either way could be the difference between life and death. This is so important for males in this situation.

pippa
28th February 2008, 03:46 PM
I'm so glad it hadn't spread,hopefully he will be ok now.... Pippin had an undecended testicle which was discovered at 11 weeks,my vet kept a close eye on him and we neutered at 1 yr.

Karlin
28th February 2008, 03:57 PM
Yes that would be normal with younger dogs as often the testicle might descend in that year. :thmbsup: It is once they become adults that it should be addressed right away.

Thelly
28th February 2008, 06:50 PM
Just picked Sam up. He is tired but happy. Sleeping soundly now and looking forward to a good rest I'd say.

pippa
28th February 2008, 06:58 PM
Ah thats good...

Lynn
28th February 2008, 11:18 PM
Thank you Thelly & Karlin for taking such good care of this precious boy. :flwr:

Barbara Nixon
29th February 2008, 12:02 PM
If there is bad news, at least testicular cancer tends be one that is less likely to spread.

Karlin
1st March 2008, 06:37 PM
This beautiful dog is looking for a home too -- so please drop me a line if you are interested in him. As noted he needs a teen and above home to give him the love and care he has not received in the past.

Thelly
1st March 2008, 06:50 PM
Here are some new pics of Sam!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3073/2302697534_137e1ffd09.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2011/2302697726_f7779b556d.jpg

He did have to wake up just as I was sneaking up for the pic!
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3207/2301905873_d339bbb0c8.jpg

gloucester girl
1st March 2008, 07:17 PM
What a handsome lad! It makes you so angry that people could treat a gentle soul like a cavalier like that! (Any creature of course!) Good luck to Sam for finding a happy home! :paw: Love from Frankie, aged 10, "rescued" from a loving home

*Pauline*
1st March 2008, 08:16 PM
Thelly, he looks so much better. Bless him :lotsaluv:

frecklesmom
3rd March 2008, 12:17 AM
Sam has the nicest look about him. :xfngr: on the biopsy results and finding a nice forever home.

Karlin
15th March 2008, 09:19 PM
Biopsy came back positive for testicular cancer. However the vets are very sure they got it all out and in dogs, this type of cancer tends not to spread and develops slowly so if caught early enough, the news is almost always good. He has an excellent prognosis!

He is also now being homevetted.

PS thanks to all who have donated, bought CavalierTalk calendars, or homed a dog from me and contributed a homing fee. Such funds gave me the money to treat this dog, as I could not recuperate his costs entirely through a standard homing fee. :) This is the type of dog that benefits directly. :)

pippa
15th March 2008, 09:28 PM
Glad he is ok and has the chance of a home.

By the way pm'd you earlier.

Cathryn
15th March 2008, 10:05 PM
I am glad to hear that it was caught before it had a chance to spread any further! :xfngr: The hopeful new "human pets" pass the home vetting with flying colours!! Will watch for updates!!:luv:

Louisma
18th March 2008, 10:40 AM
What a gorgeous boy! good luck finding him a home,

Maxine

Karlin
18th March 2008, 07:32 PM
Sam is still looking for a caring home! :dogwlk:

Karlin
24th March 2008, 02:29 PM
As is common in about half of cavaliers his age, Sam also has a heart murmur but this is not advanced enough to require any treatment.

merlinsmum
24th March 2008, 03:23 PM
:xfngr: Sam finds a forever home soon:paw: