• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Tripe

deborahjane

I have 2 beautiful Cavaliers,Pippa who is 14 wks and Lady who is 17 wks...can I give them tripe safely. The breeder of Lady gives all her dogs tripe every day with mixer...I have both mine on James wellbeloved, but would like to see what they think of it!!!! I personally hate the stuff. Any advice would be great.:)

Tripe is an excellent food --very nutritious for dogs. I feed dry tripe treats, and also tinned tripe from Rinti (it is pure tripe) which you can order from www.zooplus.co.uk.

Thanx for the help. guess I will just try it and see what happens, they will either eat it or leave it!! These two are the 1st cavaliers I've owned...wish I had done this years ago...they are gorgeous little dogs and i just love em to bits...mad and soft i know...hubbys worse than me tho.

Tripe is a great food for dogs and they love it! I personally hate the stuff, it smells very strong, but I'll sacrifice my dislike for my dog's shear pleasure with the stuff!!!!

Interesting...if I purchase tripe from the butcher, should it be cooked first or given raw or doesn't it matter?

I am interested in trying some of the Rinti pure tripe for Sally. Is tripe low fat? Also is this brand better than Butchers tripe?

OK, without sounding too graphic if you think about dogs in a pack, when they make a kill they go straight for the intestines etc, this basically is what tripe is! Tripe for me is the absolute total resort, I have yet to meet a dog that will not eat it! You feed it raw, and YES!! It stinks to high heaven, the first time I fed it I threw the first packet away thinking it had gone off!!:rolleyes:

Many years back I had a dog who literally would not eat, we tried everything, the leaving it down for 10 minutes routine, everything nothing worked, and I mean NOTHING!! Then I was told to try fresh raw green tripe, I bulked it out with a wholemeal mixer and also added "Vit-Sorb B" (B vitamins, encourages the appetite) I have never seen a dog clear it's bowl so fast!!

To this day I still keep some green trip in the freezer, working on the "If you've got it, you won't need it" theory! LOL!!

FANTASTIC natural feed!! (y)

I would love to buy some rinti for Lexie, but I don't think they sell it here in the states. :( Guess I'll just have to go to a butcher to get some tripe. Now the question is, what do I ask the butcher for? Just regular tripe or is there something else I should ask?

I was going to buy some Rinti but the tripe only seems to come in 800g tins. I plan on mixing it with JWB kibble so won't get through 800g before it goes off with only having one dog. Wonder if there are any other brands that do smaller portions that are good......or I'll have to get another dog ;)

what about buying frozen tripe then you can use as much or as little as you like. they stock it in pets at home,

butchers canned tripe comes in 400g tins - may not be as good as the Rinti though

Pets at home do indeed sell the frozen tripe, from AMP, I used to buy wholesale from them and it is a very good feed indeed!!

I'll have a look in Pets at Home. Do I cook the tripe once it is defrosted? Or is it ready to feed. Thanks for the help

One more question--my husband eats tripe (Italian specialty--ugh!) but the one he gets is white--I'm assuming that's just as good as the "green" kind you guys are talking about? Maybe if it's so good for the dogs I won't complain so much about the odor when he makes it;)

I would love to buy some rinti for Lexie, but I don't think they sell it here in the states. :( Guess I'll just have to go to a butcher to get some tripe. Now the question is, what do I ask the butcher for? Just regular tripe or is there something else I should ask?
Here in the US we have canned Tripett brand raw green beef tripe. :)

The white tripe they sell for humans is a cleaned up version of the green I believe..

I remember when I was a kid growing up my aunt used to cook tripe and onions in milk for my uncle ( he was a builder and said there was great nourishment in tripe) anyway, my aunt asked if I would like some and I said " I'm NOT eating that stuff!" to which my uncle replied " you don't have to eat it! it slides down all by itself!" :yuk: :eek: :badgrin:

Last edited:
My family loves to eat tripe. :grnyuk:

I will have to buy some for my little Lexie and see how my husband likes the smell. Should be fun. :D

The white is not as nutritious for dogs as green tripe. It is, as noted, all cleaned up and cooked.

I used to think tripe was disgusting too but found I like the Mexican soup menudo which is tripe based and also the Tranyslvania restaurant in Dublin does an incredible garlicky tripe soup that they told me is excellent for hangovers... :lol: Apparently it is a Romanian specialty. Very delicious.

Believe it or not here's a whole website about green tripe: http://www.greentripe.com/description.htm

Back