• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

CM on Home and Health now..

Lisa_T

They're talking about two brothers with chiari (sp) malformation on Chicago Medical - talking about decompression surgery!

Oh that is interesting! I think now that a couple of well known people have been diagnosed with it it is perhaps a little better known.

It was interesting. It said that CM is incurable, and all that could be done was to attempt to manage the symptoms long term and give sufferers the best quality of life possible. The children also stated that for them the worst symptoms were headache and nausea... and I wondered if there's any indication that SM dogs suffer from nausea? They both had decompression surgery. I think one of the boys actually had it twice (something to do with repeating a procedure to draw away excess fluid- that's not the same as decompression is it?) because it didn't work completely the first time. The end result though was pretty good - both boys were fit enough to play outside and return to school after long term absence. I got the impression as well that their mother also has it, because someone made a comment about it being nice if all three could possibly be pain free together on the one day... and I thought that was very sad.

Hopefully someone else will have seen it and have something more useful to add!

ETA: and I've discovered a local vet with some experience. A friend of my mum's comes from a Cav mad family, and the mother noticed that their little bitch was acting oddly. After the usual round of allergy testing, the mother thought to take a video of the dog scratching and showing other SM behaviours and the vet took one look at the vid and said it was obviously SM. They didn't even go to MRI - simply started the dog immediately on the appropriate medication. Turned out the vet took it seriously because his sister or sister in law suffers from CM/SM herself.

CM on Home and Health Now

May I pose this question ,hopefully it won't give offence ,but perhaps food for thought ,

Could it not be a bit of a Red Herring the mention of Cavaliers having a Malformed Bone/CM ?

Where is the Scientific Evidence that this is a Disease in the Cavalier Breed.

Is it not possible that the Malformed Bone was caused when the Dome Shaped Skull was altered to get the Flat Shaped Skull required for the Cavalier Breed in the 1930's ,and that Cavaliers have been living normal lives since the 1930's with this type of Bone .
Was this type of Malformed Bone in Cavaliers only discovered around 1996 ,when the Veterinary Profession had access to MRI Scanning.?

No-body,Neurologists ,Vets ,Cavalier Breeders ,will ever know the answer to this ,unless those early Cavaliers were to be exhumed ,and this will never be done .

I have now spoken with a few Vets who have said ,that ,yes, it is a possibility that Cavaliers have always had had this type of Malformed Bone ,but it just can't be proved one way or the other.

Bet

I was talking to someone the other day who was wondering where the lovely domed heads of the Charlie were disappearing to.
Odd, as I was wondering where the lovely flat heads of the Cavaliers were going as well. Have to admit I am seeing more and more of the round skull on Cavaliers that is just alien to me and I wonder if it coincides with SM.

CM on Home and Health Now

Could I add this thought to my previous Post ,wondering whether Cavaliers have always had the Malformed Bone /CM since the 1930's when the alteration took place ,and have lived normal lives with it since that time .

At the moment at Edinburgh University ,the Research Team researching MVD in the Cavalier Breed have mentioned that perhaps there could be a Protein at the Heart Valve involved in the Problem .

Is it not possible that the same could be being said for the SM Problem ,that a Protein could be involved in the Brain ,this maybe could explain why other Breeds are also suffering from SM.

Bet

Back