• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Bella is eating the hair of Harvey's ears!

Emma n Renco

Hi,

I have recently noticed that Harvey's got a lot less hair on and behind his ears and they look like I have attacked them with scissors, I mentioned on here that Bella licks him intently for hours and I have seen her doing this to his ears.

However, they have just started being left on their own together while we go out and she always trying to hump him whenever she can and won't stay in her bed and last night I caught her licking his ears but then biting the hairs which is why so much of the hair has gone. It's very bizarre and I would really like some advise because although he doesn't seem to mind - I wonder if he just lies there and lets her because he doesn't want to leave his territory and let her have it. I don't want to end up with a dog with furless ears ;-( and just want to make sure that she's not behaving in a way that means they shouldn't be on their own together. What do you think?

My two grab and pull each others ears/beard. Tracer grabs Armani's ears and Armani grabs Tracers beard when playing. I hope they will outgrow it since it isn't doing very good for A's ears!
Then one day I caught Armani chewing on his own ears!! He had a big chunk of hair in his mouth! <grrrrr> I think he had thrown up some and gotten it on his ear, so he was cleaning himself up, but he didn't have to chew a chunk off!!

glad to hear (in a way) that mine aren't the only cavs that find fur yummy! Very strange and it doesn't give them a good look at all! :-(

Pippin once chewed a huge chunk of hair off his ear when he was about 6 months old. It was a perfect cut across and I accusesd hubby of cutting it to get a knot out and was cross because Pippin looked ridiculous. He denied it and said pippin ate it but none of us would believe him and just laughed at the nerve of him trying to blame poor Pip...oops... I was a home one day and Pippin was very quiet behind the sofa so I went to investigate..he had perfectly chewed the other one. He ate his ear and I had to eat my words and apologise to hubby,oh well at least now his ear lengths were equal!

You might like to try spraying his ears with Bitter Lemon spray, this will make them taste horrible and hopefully nip the behaviour in the bud!! HTH??

Great tip! Thanks for that - will give it a go although she normally doesn't seem that fussy about what goes in her mouth yuk!

Back