• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Rabies Titer

frecklesmom

When I adopted Annie she had never had a rabies vaccine. She received the "one year" vaccine here last year and was to have the "three year" vaccine this month. I elected to have a rabies titer drawn and today I have the results from Kansas State U. and Annie has a high titer and doesn't need further rabies vaccine now :rah:. This is so terrific :D.

The one and the three year are as far as I know, the exact same vaccine. It has been well proven that the 'one year' covers for at least three which is why rabies is only recommended by vet schools to be done every three years, no matter how the vaccine is labelled. They are just apparently marketed as two different vaccines depending on the market.

The problem may be with boarding kennels or local legal requirements as a titer may not be legally acceptable in areas that require an annual vaccine.

A titer was not acceptable for the Pet Passport scheme for example -- the vaccine had to be given within a year of applying for the passport scheme.

I know about the one year-3 year issue-why I put it in quotes. Did see that titers are acceptable for some out of country travel at this time. Maybe the long term study on rabies vaccine will impact understanding re: vaccines. One can only hope :). Meanwhile, little Annie is free from possible side effects from a not needed vaccine and since any boarding is done at this vets, she's a winner today.

I'm glad the study is being done and should produce some additional information. It is frustrating that so many boarding kennels etc remain unwilling to accept three year vax schedules for dogs, too!

Back