• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Unneutered male

shippers

I went to visit a friend today who has a tricolour male cavalier who is 2 years old. We thought it would be fun to meet up and I'd take Sally who is a year old and been spayed. They became friends straight away but Charlie was continuously trying to mount Sally!!! We couldn't walk or play any games because he was continuously trying to pin Sally down. In the end I think Sally was fed up with him but is too placid to tell him where to go!! I was wondering if most unneutered males act like this with another spayed female? I was always under the impression that if two dogs live together they are best being the opposite sex otherwise they might fight? I was considering getting a male dog as a companion for Sally but definitely not after today! How do others get on with cav's of each sex?

Females Don't put up with that for very long. My girls are very good at putting the males in their place. Usually, a female and a male get along just fine.

Dylan, who is not neutered, tries it on with the girls (and boys:rolleyes:) and they soon tell him off and it stops.

Geordie will sometimes try to mount India when they are playing. She doesn't put up with it for long and soon puts him in his place! He has never tried to mount our other female or any other dogs.

I know two un-neutered male cavs who constantly mount other dogs - not very fun to be around. :-|

Shelby WILL not put up with that. Boy does she tell them right off "leave me alone!!" and they get the message real quick.

It's not just the boys..... my poor little Chester got humped regularly by a girl at puppy classes! He still doesnt like Westies! ;o)

Harvey tried this in the beginning when we got Bella but she soon put him in his place... until she came into heat just before she was going to have the op but that's a different story. After she snapped at him he never dared again and now they get on brilliantly and I agree that one of each sex is a better combination but having them both 'done' if puppies aren't the intention just in case....

I have a spayed girl and an unnueutered male, he's entering the 'bolshy teen i'm gonna conquer the world and mount everything' phase.
Suki doesn't put up with it for long and she'll make sure she get's back on top - i think its more that they are competing for dominance and it usually only ends in play anyway.

None of my girls will tolerate that from the boys either! :lol: when a strange boy and girl meet up for the first time it is often common for this kind of behaviour, you will find that your girl will eventually tell him where to go!! :lol:

Both my neutered boys do this when the spend time with a new dog ...male or female neutered or not!Sometimes they try it wiith each other when there is a new dog around.I think they are just trying to assert dominence and see who is top dog! when one or the other snaps or growls it usually stops or ends in a game.

Back