• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Naming

vicarrieous

:confused: I am planning on registering my pup with the AKC but I need a good AKC name.

We call him Kipling, any suggestions of a name that includes Kipling?

thanks! thats a good idea! but I am still a little hazy on how i work this name. I know it has to be long but format is still up in the air.

We had a hard time coming up with Miles' AKC name, but we finally named him...here's his formal name, along with the meaning behind each part - maybe this will help you:xfngr::

"Zards Miles Brohe of Ridge": Zards (kennel name) Miles (call name) Brohe (a combination of my last name and my boyfriend's last name) of Ridge (the street name of our first and current condo together)

Now we need to think of a name for the new puppy...we were calling him Marshall, but I think we might change it to Reuben, so maybe he'll be "Zards Reuben Brohe of Ridge"???

Good luck, I know it's hard to come up with the formal name!!!

Don't mean to hijack the thread. I just received the AKC form from the breeder. She filled out everything already. She put down the original name she used for the puppy but we want a diiferent name (Mickey). What should I do? Just erase the name she wrote down on the form and write the one we want?

Thanks,

Don't mean to hijack the thread. I just received the AKC form from the breeder. She filled out everything already. She put down the original name she used for the puppy but we want a diiferent name (Mickey). What should I do? Just erase the name she wrote down on the form and write the one we want?

Thanks,

I would call and ask-- IF a puppy owner did this to me-- I'd be furious. All my puppies are WoodHaven-- I pay to register the pups and then they can tranfer to their name as owner.

I renamed my puppy but the breeder had already registered her with an AKC name. I'm sure that happens all the time. Her AKC name is "Kennel's" Gold Ring. My DH has nicknamed her "engagement ring" because he says "that's about how much she cost!" :rolleyes: Well worth it I say! :):):):):)

Izzy and my younger two came from the same breeder and were/are Acewall All at Sea, Acewall Enterprise and Acewall Enchantment (though I got to choose the latter, Joly's providing that it began with an E ). No written statement was made about call names, which i chose and are different from those used by the breeder. I have left the registered names as they are, but a breeder , who has teddy's brother, added 'for' followed by her own affix.

I renamed my puppy but the breeder had already registered her with an AKC name. I'm sure that happens all the time. Her AKC name is "Kennel's" Gold Ring. My DH has nicknamed her "engagement ring" because he says "that's about how much she cost!" :rolleyes: Well worth it I say! :):):):):)

About 90% of all puppy buyers call the pup something they want. That is 100% fine. But since I HAVE to register the pups CKCSC,USA and pick out the name -- I want both registrations to have the same name. I pay for registrations-- if they are picking out a pup early- I'd love to have them help with the name.

About 90% of all puppy buyers call the pup something they want. That is 100% fine. But since I HAVE to register the pups CKCSC,USA and pick out the name -- I want both registrations to have the same name. I pay for registrations-- if they are picking out a pup early- I'd love to have them help with the name.

So it's perfectly OK to have an official registration name with CKCSC and AKC and another nick name which we use for the dog then? I am new to this and have no clue how this is supposed to work.

I have been using the same health record book the breeder gave me which has the puppy's original name on it. But all the receipts from the vet used the nick name. For someone like me who just keeps the dog for pet, does it even matter?

Thanks!

Our lil guy is at the vets now getting his boy parts removed-- His name is
WoodHaven Must Be Classic-- his call name is Dickens (a litter of two- kinda Christmas theme).
We have a
WoodHaven Stealth-- his call name is Hunter (a litter of 6 I did an aviation theme)

For example, Joly 's pet name is Joly, though the breeder called him Spencer, when with his litter. His registered name is Acewall Enchantment, which is unique to him and kept in the kc archives. This name is required, if he is used to breed or if he enters either a breed or obedince/ agility show, other than a fun (companion dog) show (the ones where you have waggiest tale etc and often run as fundraisers for rescues). On transfering his registration to me, as new owner, if I had my own affix (Lets say Barbarella), I could have chnged his name to Acewall Enchantment for/at/of/de/du (and other similar) Barbarella. If I were a breeder, this would mean that my affix, would start at his generation, instead of in the next (ie with the puppies).

You can name your puppy whatever you like, regarding petname and pestname. Teddy gets called Tonka and Turbo , for varius reasons.

from what I understood (please tell me someone if I am at all close) the registered name of a puppy should include the name of the kennel to establish where it came from. the heritage of the dog. the breeder may also wish besides the kennel name, the next name starts with a certain letter. the registered name is very important if you are going to show the dog or breed it. when showing, any points it gets will be recorded under that name. for breeding it shows the genetic background. the name and what the pup does in life reflects back on the breeder, which is why (I think) breeders are particular about the name. the registered names helps to build a family tree. I did use the name of my dogs kennel, it was not a requirement but something I wanted to do. the second name I used also sounded like it fit her family tree. I call her something completely different. my dog is pet quality and is spayed so I doubt I will ever have to even show her papers to anyone.

I've never heard of a pet owner registering a dog, I thought the breeder always did this. Dylan's breeder let me choose his last name. His kennel name came first, Muffity, then his line, all pups from his sire are called My Baby, followed by Dylan. Muffity My Baby Dylan. :)

I've never heard of a pet owner registering a dog, I thought the breeder always did this. Dylan's breeder let me choose his last name. His kennel name came first, Muffity, then his line, all pups from his sire are called My Baby, followed by Dylan. Muffity My Baby Dylan. :)

In the AKC, the owner gets the paperwork to name the dog. I register myself as the owner of the whole litter- then transfer ownership to the puppybuyers. In the CKCSC,USA-- breeder has to name the pups at registration of the litter.

Back