• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Bulge on side of stomach - hernia?

BostonGirl

Today for the first time I noticed a bulge near Bella's rear leg on her stomach. I was with my friend at the time who is nurse and she said its probably a hernia and not a huge deal, etc. I am going to take her to the vet to find out for sure and treat it but I was wondering if anyone experienced this with thier dog? If so, what causes it? It is something to be concerned with? What are the treatment options? I like to be knowledgeable when going into the vet. Any feedback is appreciated!!

People correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought a hernia is from the umbilical cord being snipped or tied wrong not on the side of the stomach.

I'd take Bella to the vet to get it checked out asap.

An umbilical hernia is at the bellybutton.
An inguinal hernia is lower and in the inguinal cavity.

we went to the vet first thing this morning and its not a hernia. The vet thinks its an absess - possibly from her spay that was done in January - she thinks the dissolvable suttures may have caused it. She will be on antibiotics and hopefully it will go away. If not, we will have to bring her back to be re-evaluated.

Ouch ! hope this problem gets fixed soon for your little one and that she is not in any pain :hug:

(y) Good thing you got her to the vet striaght away.

Back