• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Puppy vommited - do I give medicine again?

bellacherie

At about 4 pm Saturday I gave Bella (16 weeks) her a dose of worming suspension. At about 4.15 I gave her her heartworm tablet (crushed).

She had her dinner as usual at 6.00pm and then went outside to play.

She was sleeping on my lap at 8.30pm when all of a sudden she jumped to the floor and vommitted.

Now it's 6am sunday morning, she hasn't been sick again and her poos are firm. My vet doesnt open for a few hours so I thought I would ask your opinions on whether I need to give her another dose of either medicine? Thanks :xfngr:

I would definitely want a veterinarian's opinion on this. I don't think any of us a qualified to give you an answer.

I'm wondering why you crushed her heartworm tablet, though - it's easy to hide in a bit of cheese, butter, or meat.

Just spoke to vet who said that the medicines would have bee absorbed within 1/2 an hour of giving them, so I dont need to give them again.

I was told to crush her heartworm tablet when I first gave it to her (because she was having softened food at the time), so I have just always done that. I guess when she gets older and her stomach isnt so sensitive I will be more comfortable giving her it whole.

Yep, as your vet said, the meds get absorbed very fast, so you never ever re-dose... at least not without consulting a vet first.

If you find she continues to vomit when you give the wormer & heartworming, you might find giving them on different days might help. Also, sometimes it is best not to give meds with a large meal. Sometimes better to give meds with say 1/4 of the meal, and then maybe an hour leter give the rest of the meal.

It probably isn't a problem with Cavaliers, but with deep chested breeds like my Boxer, it is also best not to let the dog play vigorously for about an hour after eating his meal. I've heard it can trigger bloat in a dog that is prone to it.

I also wouldn't give two doses like this on the same day -- those are two major doses of pesticide into her system, basically. I'd do them a week apart or so.

Back