• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Omg!!!! Its A Tick!!

emmawright

Please help - i have just found a tick on bluebells chest!! i am quite squeamish and not sure what to do... do i take her to the vet tomorrow or do something myself now?

Emma,
I just found this. (Hope it helps)

To remove an attached tick, use a pair of fine-tipped tweezers or special tick removal instruments. These special devices allow one to remove the tick without squeezing the tick body. This is important as you do not want to crush the tick and force harmful bacteria to leave the tick and enter your pet's bloodstream.
  1. Grab the tick by the head or mouth parts right where they enter the skin. Do not grasp the tick by the body.
  2. Without jerking, pull firmly and steadily directly outward. Do not twist the tick as you are pulling.
  3. Using methods such as applying petroleum jelly, a hot match, or alcohol will NOT cause the tick to 'back out.' In fact, these irritants may cause the tick to deposit more disease-carrying saliva in the wound.
  4. After removing the tick, place it in a jar of alcohol to kill it. Ticks are NOT killed by flushing them down the toilet.
  5. Clean the bite wound with a disinfectant. If you want to, apply a small amount of a triple antibiotic ointment.
  6. Wash your hands thoroughly.
a_removetick.jpg
Please do not use your fingers to remove or dispose of the tick. We do not want you in contact with a potentially disease-carrying tick. Do NOT squash the tick with your fingers. The contents of the tick can transmit disease.
Once an embedded tick is manually removed, it is not uncommon for a welt and skin reaction to occur. A little hydrocortisone spray will help alleviate the irritation, but it may take a week or more for healing to take place. In some cases, the tick bite may permanently scar leaving a hairless area. This skin irritation is due to a reaction to tick saliva. Do not be worried about the tick head staying in; it rarely happens.

thanks for the information - the tick has been removed! thank goodness for husbands!! hehe. i think i will be having nightmares tonight though.......... in my cavalier book it says you should check your cavalier every day for ticks, i will certainly make sure i do from now on!

How do I know if Alex has ticks ? he's my first pet and its new to me?
What are the symtomns ?

Emma. was the tick engorged? I read it can grow to the size of a thumbnail!:eek:

If you use Frontline Plus it will kill ticks, along with fleas, flea eggs, & chewing lice. This is what I use during Spring, Summer, Fall. I have never seen a tick in real life, and I've owned dogs for years.

Emma. was the tick engorged? I read it can grow to the size of a thumbnail!:eek:

If you use Frontline Plus it will kill ticks, along with fleas, flea eggs, & chewing lice. This is what I use during Spring, Summer, Fall. I have never seen a tick in real life, and I've owned dogs for years.

Cathy,
I use Frontline Plus with Charlie, as well, but he still gets an occasional tick.
Usually, they are not attached (thank you Frontline), but a week ago, I pulled one off of his head. He was almost due for his next treatment when the tick was removed. Anyway, I hate the nasty little buggers. :eek:

I have owned dogs for over twenty years, and only saw a tick for the first time last year :eek: I had been on holiday with the dogs in Wales, staying at a hill farm that had sheep, needless to say have kept the frontline up to date since then.

i also use frontline on bluebell and lottie, i was doing it every 2 months but the vet said every 3 months should be fine, however since going to 3 months she has now got a tick - so i think i shall go back to doing it every 2 months now!

Glad Bluebell is ok and you got it out. I don't know whether I'd recognise a tick! What do they look like? Would it be obvious? I used Frontline every 3 months as advised by the vet but I've just been to the groomer with Sally and they say it only lasts 4 weeks! I think I'll use it every 2 months in winter and monthly in summer.

i also use frontline on bluebell and lottie, i was doing it every 2 months but the vet said every 3 months should be fine, however since going to 3 months she has now got a tick - so i think i shall go back to doing it every 2 months now!

I believe the directions are for a monthly treatment (ensuring that the frontline is for the proper weight dog).
We have a lot of feas and ticks in our area (including lyme bearing "Deer Ticks"), so we really need it.

Ticks suck! :paw:

Back