• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Why is he now doing this?

clark67

Hi Harvey will be 1 year old next month (24th April) we got him when he was 11 weeks old and in the past month have noticed that he keeps doing little wee's in the bathroom. He is completely toilet trained and doesn't do it anywhere else in the house. Is this a scenting thing like he does when he goes for walks? How do I stop it and use what? Luckily we have cushioned flooring in the bathroom so it is easy to wipe up.

He also went to the vets on friday as he kept scooting alot and was booked to have his anal glands drained when she looked she said his bottom looked sore but only the right gland needed to be drained, he does however still keep scotting although not as much I know this is a trait of theirs but could it be another problem he gets regularly wormed.

Miles is almost the same age (he'll be 1 year on April 15th), and I saw him mark in the house for the first time last night :eek: I assume this is what yours is doing...is he neutered? Miles marks all the time when we go for walks, but it's the first time I've seen him do it in the house...it could be caused by our new puppy, though...who knows :confused: Good luck, I know there are several threads on marking that might be helpful to you!

I think he is becoming a big boy and marking his territory. My boys will do that if allowed aline in the bathroom or bedroom.

Is he neutered? If not and this isn't a UTI, he is definitely now marking territory. Sometimes this does continue after neutering but is rarer.

You will need to focus on training him and be very careful when you take him to anyone's house. If he is doing this in his own house he will definitely lift a leg on future, doorways etc at other houses so you will need to carefully watch him from now on. For health and behaviour reasons, if you haven't done so you might want to talk to your vet about getting him neutered. If he is neutered then you definitely have a training issue on your hands. There is info on marking behaviour in the Library section.

You'd be amazed even if you don't neuter, this can be a phase and it can pass. Dylan started to mark in the kitchen but only did it for a short while. He was around the same age as your boy at the time. I trained him not to do this. Trouble was catching him in the act so I could tell him off. He did it a few times but it only took me catching him twice to stop it.

You've got to get some cleaning products that neutralise the ammonia in the urine in the bathroom or he will keep going back to that spot. Close the bathroom door and start rewarding him for outside toileting again.

Back