PDA

View Full Version : Ziggy - Scheduled for Surgery April 3rd.



jcj528
4th March 2008, 06:16 PM
Okay, I guess the decision is made. Ziggy is now so big that people are starting to question if he's even purebred. If you consider that he came inside a rescue, I guess there is a chance that his daddy was not a Cavalier, but except for his size, he's a great example of our breed. I doesn't matter to me anyway, he was born in my Living Room and I couldn't love him and his antics and his personality anymore than I do.

That having been said, I feel that with the questions that have arisen over his size that I should neuter him. I am not looking forward to this. I don't want to hurt him, I am scared of losing him, but I feel its still the best thing to do. So the surgery is scheduled for Thursday, April 3rd. Please keep him . . . and me . . . in your thoughts on that day.

Oh and one more thing, please don't hold it against Ziggy that he might not be purebred, he is still a beautiful animal and an incredible dog. He and I are going to have fun in agility, obedience and rally.

Thanks, ya'll

Rosewoodsteel
4th March 2008, 07:30 PM
Couple of things-
First of all, judging from the picture of Ziggy (in the pumpkin patch), he looks 100% Cavalier to me.
Also, I think neutering is a good thing.
We had Charlie neutered many years ago and have never regreted it.

Karlin
4th March 2008, 08:26 PM
Neutering is standard in the contract from *all* reputable rescues breeders anyway, so best practice would be neutering -- if he came from a rescue, you'd have needed to do this anyway I think? Or if you rescued him yourself, this would be the absolutely correct decision to make as a responsible guardian of a rescue or if you are becoming involved in rescuing yourself. Size shouldn't really have anything to do with it -- you wouldn't ever want to have bred a dog without knowing full background and having full health history on the lines and also knowing from a professional that he had genes worth conserving health and conformation-wise -- and you also wouldn't want to risk him fathering litters accidentally so all around this is the responsible, ethical decision. :thmbsup: Good for you! :)

There are many health considerations, much less the much higher risk of losing him due to wandering, if he were left intact anyway -- far greater than the tiny risk associated with anaesthesia. I am sure he will be fine and home in no time! :)