• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Help, Pippa is going crazy when she sees the neighbour's cat

brid kenny

When I let them look out the front window she gos insane if Gizmo peeks in. She gets into a heightened state of excitement. If I take her away she stays the same. I don't really know what to...apart from pulling down the blind. If she sees him when we go for our walkn itt's the same thing.
Any advice greatly appreciated.

Have no advice b'cuz my golden is the same. If she's out in the fenced yard and the locals(kitties) go by she goes nuts and of course the kitties have a ball strutting very slowly . Same dog at the Vet's, where they have a couple of walk around kitties inside, turns her head away and won't even look at those felines :rolleyes:. Power of being behind a fence or window I guess.

We have the same problem with a pack of stray cats! Usually about four of them sit on our windowsill at any one time and Daisy goes ballistic.
I guess it's a dog's nature to see cats as prey, even if we say the word "cat", it's enough to set her off.Even though our dogs may be small they still have all the hunting instincts of spaniels.All we can do is try to keep them out of trouble and prevent them from actually getting involved in a catfight.
Sins

I find even though you can have a dog that loves cats when they are the dog's cats, they will still go nuts over strange cats. All four of mine are like this and all four love barking at cats on the roof or if they see a strange cat on a walk. :rolleyes: Moments later they might sit down next to the cats in the house. Go figure.

Preventing them from seeing cats outside is probably the only way to stop this behaviour inside; and getting them to respond to a 'look' command reliably when on walks. icon_nwunsure

Back