• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Curious? - How did you choose your girl/boys name??

TillyTommy

I am always curious as to how/why dogs have come to have their names. How did you decide which name you would use and why? Just a bit of light banter but I am always reading with interest the names of all the doggies:)

The breeder chose her actual name of course, but my son called her Daisy even before we'd brought her home because the singer/actress Jessica simpson had a dog called Daisy!

We had been on a wait list for over 13 months, so I had about 25 names written down that I would call out, over and over. If the name started getting annoying, I crossed it off the list. Well, when we finally got a call that there was a 6 month female blenheim available we got so excited. She already had a name picked out by the breeder, of "Dottie Darling." I didn't know if I really cared for the name but my husband loved it , and I didn't have the heart to change it over, though our breeder said that since she was letting her go to a pet home, we could change it.

My concern was that everytime she did something wrong, she would be "Naughty Dottie" icon_devil, or I would be saying "Dottie go Pottie":rolleyes: or "Dottie has a spottie" :p etc, etc....you get the picture. Now that we have her, I can't imagine her being called by any other name! I just think you have to find some names you like and see if they fit the look and personality of your precious pup! :luv:

Drove through Madisonville picking up our first girl -- Madison she became

We wanted their names to both start with the same letter -- so our second one became Molly.

I've always like the name Maverick... and it seems to fit him. I had a cat that ran around for 3 months with no name till we heard a diesal engien go past adn I didn't know it the the truck of the cat purring. (turns out a cat's pur and an ideling diesal go at the same rate.)

I go through baby names books with my critters. For Mika, we started looking at Irish/British names to go with the breed, but none seemed right. Then we went to Ukranian names, since we are Ukranian and picked a couple of those. Then we went to Japanese names, since I knew there were lots I liked there when we were picking a name for our Akita (she became Suki - which I think meant love).

Mika is Japanese for "New Moon". Not a very meaningful name, but we like the sound of it and she was born on a new moon and we got her on a new moon, so it fit.

We had a couple of pics from the breeders and compared the different names we liked to the pictures and Mika seemed the best. Now that we have her, it suits her perfectly.

Bogie was named the day my cousin had a really bad golf game (he actually suggested we name her "Triple Bogie".

Jackson came along soon after Bogie. Bogie was grey, Jackson was black, so the two of them became "Bo Jackson" who wore black and silver with the 49ers for those who know football.

Cody was named after the manager of the Kilkenny hurling team, my OH is a Kilkenny man. Abigail was original called Ruby so it was an easy change to Abby. When we decided to adopt our terrier boy he was called Roxy but we just wanted a nice, normal boys name, so now he's Gavin.

Elja my first is named Electra in her pedigreebook but i thought it was a bit too harsh a name ....so i sort of shortend it and came up with Elja.
Silva was named Dalla with means bowl but it is also an Icelandic girl name.She was the fat one in the litter and she spent her waking hours in the feeding bowl.I never liked that named,eventhough it fitted her VERY WELL ,haha.
Silva is a very rare name.We have a niece who is propably the only one in Iceland with that name.I love the sound of it and it comes from the word Silfur meaning silver.

Monty was named after a beautiful springer that my parents owned during my early years.

I decided that a dogs name should end in an 'ee' sound and not sound to like the others, in the household, so each late dog had to have a different second letter (Vowel) sound and the two next letters different also, so it was a matter of going through combinations until I reached something that appealed.

With the second cavalier I arrived at Dizzy, but chose Izzy. Monty being short for Montgomery, Izzy was short for Isambard (Kingdom Brunel). It caused a lot of confusion , as Izzy was a pretty boy , so people assumed he was a girl. One day had me in hysterics, because a person wanting my son to do a pc repair, left a message, saying that Izzy was calling. At the time, my Izzy was sitting watching me and i just couldn't stop laughing. The customer/friend was Asian and was called Izzy short for his Islamic name.

Joly, after the same process was after Jolyon, in the Forsyte Saga .

Teddy needed a name short for something aristocratic, but he stared at me from a photo with his litter mates and the name Teddy , short for Edward, came into my head, so he picked his own name. Oddly, just as i decided, someone, on a forum pm'd me and suggested exactly the same, after seeing the photo.

Hi
We started off with Poppy just because we liked it ,then along came Daisy ,as Dawn new a nice lady who lived by Luke's junior school and she had a very small cavalier called Daisy and lastly to continue the theme of "The Flower Girls" along came our Rosie.

When i went to collect Daisy from her breeder she told me that apart from the kennel name of Loranka was there any suffix that i fancied adding ,so having a wife with the name Dawn and also remembering that there was a race horse many years ago that i occasionally lost money on and its name was Dawns Delight , so Daisy's official Kennel Club name became "Loranka's Dawns Delight".:rah:

Whilst in rescue Holly was named 'Kalin' which is welsh for Holly as she was found shivering under a Holly bush at Christmas when she was found.
Hence her name Holly! :)

Our firstborn:
Jazz--because we love that genre of music and it fits him so well:cool:

Our 2 rescues:
Shiloh--in Hebrew means "Peaceful One" and that he definitely is and it's what I wish for him from now on

Remy--after Remy Martin Cognac (he's a ruby), but, upon further research I found, although it's primarily French, in Nigeria it means "God has dried my tears". (Remy came from a terrible mill.) That clinched it for me.

To do this I have to start with the two corgis.

Zack is named after former Miami Dolphons Defensive Lineman, Zach Thomas.

When his sister joined us I looked for a name that started with Z that connected to at least one of Miami's Sports Teams, so Zoey for Miami Heat Center Alonzo Mourning seemed the perfect choice.

Then when I adopted Zena (who had never even had a name in her first 2 and a half years of life) I looked again for a Z name. Well I felt bad for the neglect she had endured prior joining my family that I promised to make her a princess in my home. So naturally the name Zena, the Cavalier Princess came to mind.

And finally when Ziggy was born, I had to stick with the Z name thing and it seemed just natural that Ziggy Wiggy was perfect for a tiny baby cavalier. Now that he's big, the Wiggy has been dropped and he's just Ziggy.

Now for their real names:
Bluegrass Beachcomber Zach - he was born in Kentucky, raised in Florida, a replacement horse for Sandcastle and as close to being a football player and I will ever produce.

Mornin' Time Alonza - pretty obvious I think once you know that she's named aftre Alonzo Mourning.

Tomney Crystal Show - don't look at me - her breeder finally did that for (or to) her

Tomney Masked Avenger - look at the Zigster's face! His mask is so CUTE, I had to include it in his name.

hi
difinetly we didnt want any human names for any of our dogs !

our 1st dog was called tarmac because thats what his breeder called him and we thought it was so unusual. We nicknamed him Macy for short, and Shirl also liked to call him Monkey - because of the way his tail grew- which stuck for the rest of his life.

our 2nd was guinness because hes black/white and hubbys fav drink
but we nearly named him humbug ! glad we didn't.
As he has matured he has earned the status of 'Mr G'

next came our ruby - I liked the name of the little fellow in the film 'Willow'.
Will for short - 'trouble' on many occasions too!!!!
And Willow does fit quite well - as he is skinny and leggy.

and finally (for now anyway) is Bailey - as in the drink (alcohol again! eh Shirl!:sl*p:) - Pernod was also a possibility.
It gets lengthened to 'Bailey Boo' as the nickname of 'Boo' is used quite a lot. Frightened of his shadow - that one.

but Shirl has one in the pipeline. Has to be a black and tan - and probably 'Murphy' as in the stout!

Cheers!!!!

My Newf, Breeze, was named after a girl on the Montel Williams show. I just thought it was an interesting and different name. I thought it was really original until one day my neighbor was walking her Cairn Terrier puppy. I ask what it's name was, guess what she said? Breeze, I almost died right there in the street. I said, that's my dogs name, she said, it is? She knew her name. :mad: Just didn't want to admit she stole it from me.

Anyway, Scout was named after the little girl in the book, "To Kill A Mockingbird, by Harper Lee. I thought that was also a cool name. Breeze was almost Scout, but I changed it at the last minute. Don't tell Scout!!!

I named my first dog Sophie and the kids hated that. So when I was waiting for my puppy, I decided the only way I was going to please them was to take a musical route. I started naming male artists and Bob Dylan came up. So Dylan was named after Bob Dylan.

Now though, being named after a singer isn't sophisticated enough for my son, who claims that as Bob Dylan was named after Dylan Thomas, so is our Dylan!! :rolleyes:

I decided to name Lucky "Lucky" because I got him the first week of a new job, and I figured he'd be my little "good luck" charm. It was actually just one of those "aha!" kinda things ... while I wanted to see if his personality confirmed it, I felt 99.999% confident that that would be (and should be) his name. And if you'd have asked me a month or so before I got Lucky if I'd have named my dog Lucky, I'd have said "no way!" for sure ... too much of a "dog" name!!!

Well, this does have a story behind it, because besides the new job, when I took Lucky out to go to the bathroom on our way home from getting him, I sat him right in a field of 4 and five leaf clovers. I picked 45 of them and printed up little cards with his picture on them for my friends and laminated a clover on the back for each of them!!!

Here's a scan of his picture with a few of his clovers:

269650030_2754b7b1dc_m.jpg

Once I sat him in the field of 4 leaf clovers, I knew for sure that he was DESTINED to be named Lucky. :flwr:

It's fun reading this thread!

Oliver was named after a Springer my aunt and uncle had when I was a kid that was called Henry Oliver!

Rosalita was already named by her breeder when I got her--- but it sure does suit her!

We wanted a British-sounding name (at least British-sounding to me, which may or may not be accurate) because of Cavaliers coming from British royalty. At about the time we arranged to adopt Daisy, there was a silly show on TV here called "Daisy Does America." It was a British woman who visited America and made wry observations on American culture. I thought it was hilarious and I thought the woman was very likable, so "Daisy" it was.

I had no idea at the time how many dogs were named Daisy. Our vet even has a dog that he brings in to the office every day named Daisy. It seems like everyone either has or knows someone who had a dog named Daisy at one time. That's OK. Lots of people who get to know our Daisy have made the comment that Daisy is the only name in the world that would fit her! I don't know why, but I agree!

Back