• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

this is the puppy i am getting

mardan

[apologies, image deleted by admin for reasons noted below]

not taken by me, taken by the breeder, but isn't be beautiful!? I CANT WAIT

icon_welcome

What a cute puppy!

Have you picked a name yet? :luv: :luv:

Last edited:
Ok, I am going to say some things you may not wish to hear (some have said similar things in the main discussion area where you asked about buying puppies online, so please be sure to read the responses to your question (y) : http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?p=251838).

The first is that I removed the image post because it links directly to puppyfind.com. The reason I removed the link is twofold: one is because unless you have been granted permission from the site and the breeder, it is a copyright violation to link to and display, on the other website's bandwidth, someone else's picture.

The second reason is: puppyfind print their url directly on their pictures and give people a direct promotional link to their site -- which is generally a very questionable place to find a breeder and a puppy and I will not allow their promotion here even if accidental (I realise you were not doing this on purpose). Please: I would be very, very, very careful about buying a puppy from anyone selling on that website as it and similar sites are absolutely full of trash breeders, brokers and puppy mills and their fake websites they set up to make it look like they are breeders. If you have done full homework on the breeder and their breeding program then you may have found one of the few reputable breeders there but please, make absolutely sure that you have. If the person is not an active showing member of wither the CKCSC or ACKCSC (not just 'AKC registered) I would reconsider your purchase. Have a look at my response in your original question thread. If the price for the puppy seems a bargain, that is a major red flag.

I am really strict on crossposts and links to this type of site.

I totally agree with Karlin, purchasing a puppy (any puppy) over the internet is something I do not agree with. Not only could you be setting yourself up for a lifetime of heartache but I personally don't believe that anyone just willing to sell their puppies over the internet is someone worth buying a puppy from!

There are lots and lots of really good breeders who not only produce great puppies but care deeply about the welfare of their puppies and are always on hand to give you advice when needed. Contact your local Cavalier club who will be able to put you in touch with someone.:)

This isn't just "buying off the internet", this is buying from a really questionable breeder off the internet. I hope you haven't put a deposit down yet?

I'm sure it was hard not to take the puppy after seeing its picture and thinking you were getting that one, but based on the fact it was being sold online you definitely made the right decision...You may have thought that people were being harsh when they said not to get this puppy, but everyone here definitely has the best interest of the dogs at heart. They have seen what happens when people buy puppies online/from BYBs/mills, etc. The puppies are almost always too young, sick, not socialized, and you have no health history, so most of these puppies have at least one of the hereditary/congenital issues that Cavaliers are prone to have.

You'll find a reputable breeder near you, and even if you have to wait a while, it will definitely be worth it because you'll have a happy, healthy puppy and a breeder that will be there to support you throughout the life of that puppy. I can't imagine what I would have done without the knowledge, guidance and support of my breeder when I had questions about my puppy. You made the right decision, and you'll find another puppy :luv:

To be quite honest, what does everyone mean by buying over the internet?
If it is the whole transaction is done over the internet, then that is one thing.
But if it is the way you get the contact information then that is something completely different.

If I see a reputable breeders info on the internet and subsequently I purchase from them - then is this buying over the internet - and consequently frowned upon. If I use the CKC club web site to get a list of breeders in my area - and then contact them by email - isnt this also buying over the internet.

These days, it is one of the main advertising media. I bin my yellow pages, do not keep other advertising - to me Google is king - for just about everything.

In some cases - forum readers may be taking this advice wrongly.

i listened to everyones information and didn't get the pup thanks for the info

It is hard when you start to get emotionally attached, to let go & move on. Kudos to you for taking the advice of the sage people on the forum. I sure hope you get a puppy from a reputable breeder soon and when you do we'd all love to see pictures. :flwr:

Simon, I understand where you are coming from regarding the internet. Many very reputable breeders do have wonderful websites, and this could be a great starting point, once you have confirmed that they show their dogs, are members of CKCS clubs, AKC/UKC, etc, AND closely follow their health and breeding protocol, etc. I think that the key red flags on the disreputable sites are pictures of cute puppies, many times in all four colors and sexes, available NOW. Some of them make comments such as, "We are very careful where we place our precious pups" and then they provide a basic "application" which really means nothing, and then go on to give a one or two year "health guarantee." This is basically worthless to a new owner who has become head over heels in love with their puppy. They know that people rarely return a puppy with health problems.

My breeder has a wonderful site, consisting of a wealth of information on the breed and how to go about locating a reputable breeder. She also states on her site that she NEVER has puppys available RIGHT NOW, and that the wait could be up to a year, assuming she decides you are worthy of properly caring for one of her precious pups. This is the difference between someone who is advertising to make a fast buck, and someone who breeds for the love of these dogs.

Marianne - I think you said it just right. Many breeders have a website....but they don't advertise that they have puppies for sale. There are a lot of sites where you put in the breed of dog you are looking for and they come up with a list of advertisers who have paid to put their ad on the site. I won't list the names of the sites but they are easy to find. What you are looking at is an ad on a site....not a breeder's website. Marianne was key in giving examples of what kind of wording to watch out for.

Good for you Mardan....I promise this is a decision you won't regret. Not an easy decision to make so even more kudos to you for making it.

Can only echo what Cathy has already said, Mardan you are to be applauded for walking away from the puppy, it must have been incredibly tough to do having seen it's picture, however each puppy sold this way simply funds the next litter.

As for buying online, there are so many websites where people can post pics of puppies available "right now", I have actually just seen a UK "breeder" advertising on such a site with the pups for £750 /$1500 which is extortionate in my opinion, I don't ask that high a price for pet puppies!! The thing is it is so easy to fall in love with a picture of a cute puppy!
Most reputable breeders will place you on their waiting list for a puppy and will not breed a litter to reduce a list but rather to get something for themselves first and foremost!

Back